IGNORED

WTF Symphony of the Night is on PS4/PS5? (on sale for £3.99 on PSN too)

Uzi

The PS4 version is based on the rom that was unlockable on Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP I believe, which did indeed have different voice acting. I’m not really knowledgeable about the other differences. Whatever you heard about the PSP version being better / worse is probably applicable here, however.

3 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

It’s fine. It’s basically the PSP version emulated. Doesn’t have the original ‘what is a man?!’ Dialogue which it got a bit of stick for, but it’s a perfectly decent version of an incredible game. 

Hm, the original dialogue is an essential part of the experience for me. Bought it new way back when on PS1, for years I would quote *that part* back and forth with like-minded friends and it always remained hilarious. I appreciate that's just me and part of my personal nostalgia. I think I'd rather replay a slightly inferior version with the correct dialogue.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hm, the original dialogue is an essential part of the experience for me. Bought it new way back when on PS1, for years I would quote *that part* back and forth with like-minded friends and it always remained hilarious. I appreciate that's just me and part of my personal nostalgia. I think I'd rather replay a slightly inferior version with the correct dialogue.

Just watch it on YouTube brah. I'm gonna play this thing

4 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

It’s fine. It’s basically the PSP version emulated. Doesn’t have the original ‘what is a man?!’ Dialogue which it got a bit of stick for, but it’s a perfectly decent version of an incredible game. 

Massive deal-breaker that.

There. Out of my system. I grew up with this on the psone but part of that growing up means I can now conviently play this on the only modern console plugged into my TV without any other faff or emulating on my PC. Wahey!

14 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Is it still a good time if you didn't play it at the time and aren't overly-infected with nostalgia for it? I quite liked that Bloodstained game that's basically a tribute act to it.

I completed it for the first time about five years ago, and really enjoyed it. I'd bought it a couple of times without ever really getting into it, but got stuck into the PSP version on holiday and was hooked.

Bear in mind that it doesn't hold your hand at all - there are no objective markers or indications of where to go next. so while it's usually clear where to go, there are a few bits where it's easy to lose your sense of direction.  It's worth having a walkthrough to hand if you get sidetracked. So it's much more old-school than Bloodstained, but if you liked that, I can't see you disliking this.

37 minutes ago, K said:

Bear in mind that it doesn't hold your hand at all - there are no objective markers or indications of where to go next. so while it's usually clear where to go, there are a few bits where it's easy to lose your sense of direction.

I have a terrible memory, so I sometimes take shorthand notes for certain games. Symphony’s mapping is particularly vague because it highlights save points (red), teleports (yellow) and areas you’ve explored (blue)… but it’s easy for me to leave the game for a while, come back and forget if that unfinished blue area is unfinished because of a boss, or a gap I can’t clear, or me having low health and retreating, or a sealed door (I’m sure some of the doors that require the Jewel of Open aren’t marked on the map)…

Metroidvanias have improved a lot in terms of giving information to players, but Symphony’s map is very economical.

It's the PSP version of the remake of Rondo of blood running under emulation, just missing the 3D remake of Rondo of Blood, which is really rather odd!

New translation and video acting and the option to play as Maria. However it adds in a number of new bugs and issues not seen in the original. I posted quite a heavy list of the changes back when it released in this thread. Which include bad audio cutoffs and incorrect colours in-game.

On 02/12/2021 at 11:43, Qazimod said:

I have a terrible memory, so I sometimes take shorthand notes for certain games. 

Amen. I sometimes wonder if they could add a note taking feature in the OS, but on reflection I think modern games have no excuse for not tracking all this for you. I want story recaps, maps, notes, the works! But for retro games, the old pen and paper is a must.

Aside from the vague mapping I mentioned (which is a very personal gripe, not applicable to everyone and easily circumvented with note-taking) it's still ace. That said, recommending games for people "getting into" them is weird, because Castlevania games are so many different things. Symphony and Aria are good Metroidvanias, Super IV and Drac X are fun "classic" Castlevanias, and there are probably some decent 3D games in there somewhere.

E: and there's spiritual successor Bloodstained of course.