IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

Pretty much as expected . Rolls ps plus and ps now into a single sub .  Good to see some ps5 titles will appear on the service. I’ll prob go premium. 

Well, I'm glad I let my sub run out honestly. I've moved to Xbox gamepass for the foreseeable. I've already got a mountain of physical PSP/PS1/PS3 titles so there's no appeal for me to pay again to stream them.

Just now, Isaac said:

The big unanswered question is whether new first party games come to Premium on day one.

I don’t think that’s  unanswered . It’s a no . I mean if it was the case they would have shouted it . 

1 minute ago, Spartan said:

Well, I'm glad I let my sub run out honestly. I've moved to Xbox gamepass for the foreseeable. I've already got a mountain of physical PSP/PS1/PS3 titles so there's no appeal for me to pay again to stream them.

RUMBLED.

Just now, layten said:

So no day 1 release for their usual first party output. I suspect that will not exclude the GAAS MTX riddled stuff from going up day 1. 🤔

Yep. 

I imagine it'll in reality be case-by-case, with the smaller first-party titles (the ones that sold for £20-30) going straight to Premium. 

Probably worth grabbing a PSNow sub as it says hey will transition into the premium tier. They have stopped selling them on the main site but CD Keys still have 12 moth codes for £40

PC streaming is not available in Japan at launch and will be supported in a future update.

I wonder that that's about. Seems like streaming will work on PS4 and PS5 in Japan so why not PC? 

Without knowing what the actual lineup will be when the new tiers launch its hard to be too excited about what Sony announced today. Not having to buy Returnal is nice as I doubt it'll be my cup of tea but I still want to try it out. 

Doesn't sound like there's any improvements being made to their streaming service in terms of performance or supported devices which is a surprise. 

4 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Probably worth grabbing a PSNow sub as it says hey will transition into the premium tier. They have stopped selling them on the main site but CD Keys still have 12 moth codes for £40

Currently out of stock.

I'll be more interested once we get the full lists of games that are available day one. I imagine I might sub to the premium tier for a month at a time to play a game I'd otherwise have to spend a lot more to play, but I can't see myself getting an ongoing subscription.

31 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

For what it's worth: I already own a couple of digital PS1 titles. Can I access those without this sub? If not, WTF?

Yeah, it's going to be beyond galling if we're offered the chance to subscribe to play PS1/2 games natively, but can't play the copies we already own.

(PS3 games being streaming only is as expected, but disappointing nevertheless)

18 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Expensive compared to the gamepass £40 a year deal. 

What is the RRP of a year's Game Pass Ultimate?

7 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

So would topping up on PSNow before this rolls up be a cost-effective way of getting premium tier? Does anyone have some links to some discounted PSNow codes? Or just top-up codes?

You can't. They turned off the ability to do that a few months ago.

Just now, the_debaser said:

What does it matter if you get it for £40 a year? 

Because nobody pays full price for PS+ either, so it's a fair comparison.

(Personally, I get PS+ for free, so that trumps your £40 anyway)

10 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, it's going to be beyond galling if we're offered the chance to subscribe to play PS1/2 games natively, but can't play the copies we already own.

PS1 makes sense though, there's not been a CD drive in a PlayStation since the PS3.

5 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

So would topping up on PSNow before this rolls up be a cost-effective way of getting premium tier? Does anyone have some links to some discounted PSNow codes? Or just top-up codes?

It would be, but UK codes have been fairly scarce for a while; unlike (old) Plus the codes, Now stopped being sold by Amazon, GAME, etc.

I wonder if you might find some codes hidden away on those supermarket subscription racks? Doesn't seem super likely, but might be worth taking a look next time you're shopping.

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

What is the RRP of a year's Game Pass Ultimate?

That's £11 a month, so £132 for a year. There's no discount for buying more than a month at a time.

Yeah, pretty much as expected. Be curious to see the frequency and time post release that Sony drip their new PS5 games onto the service. I don't think it stacks up as a Game Pass competitor. Having first party games day and date is the game changing part of Game Pass, without that component it's just additive to their current business model.

I think it'll do fine though. If the service hosts "over 700 games" as advertised, then that is a pretty huge library of legacy software you get access to. The name change alone will likely net a number of upgrades from people who didn't pay much attention to PS Now.

Shame there were no surprises though, like downloadable PS3 games but we'll see how the service develops and what sort of library it hosts.

you'll still be able to buy cheaper PSN credit though from the likes of CD Keys to sub to this though I expect (as with PS Plus at present), even if you can't get PS Now specific codes anymore. 

can get 13% off a £90 card at the moment

can't recall if it was 'decided' it will be a dirty pirate code poor Sony don't get money from or not though, and if you're scum for buying it.

if Modnation Racers is one of the PS3 games I will be in.

I suspect Sony wanted to dip their toes into the lucrative subscription business but had no intention of outright competing with Game Pass. Or even feel like they need to - the PlayStation powerhouse can do its own thing and do fine.

For me, as a multiplatform owner it's pretty clear which service is by far the most appealing. But we're a niche audience here, the vast majority of PlayStation owners are probably single platform types - certainly when it comes to the more casual segment. So this service only needs to look like a good deal by itself, rather than compared to Game Pass. Because the audience they're aiming at won't be directly comparing it to game pass.

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now