IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

6 minutes ago, TehStu said:

The top tier sounds really similar to Game Pass, if I'm reading it right, and that's exactly the kind of competition we need to keep both these companies honest.

In what way, exactly?

As a new subscription service there’s nothing inspiring there - but as a thirty quid add-on to your existing annual PS Plus subscription the mid-tier expansion is pretty attractive, which I imagine is the main way it will be sold. 

Just now, Simmy said:

In what way, exactly?

Sorry, which bit? That it sounds similar to Game Pass or exactly the kind of competition we need? 

I didn't absorb the particulars too closely, but it does sound like Game Pass and the price point seems to reflect that ($120 for the year). Over in the Game Pass thread, there's semi regular chat about how Microsoft are luring folks into the ecosystem with a specific price point and then will Netflix us into higher prices over time. Now they have a fairly equivalent competitor to keep them honest, hopefully. That said, I thought I heard Spencer say it was sustainable at the current price, so who knows. Maybe the that scales better as more people are on it.

Basically, it's just good for everyone when they slug it out, I think.

7 minutes ago, TehStu said:

The top tier sounds really similar to Game Pass, if I'm reading it right, and that's exactly the kind of competition we need to keep both these companies honest.

I hope it is, but I interpreted it as just throwing in a bunch of PS1/2/3/PSP games along with streaming. I assumed the "340 additional games" just covered those, but I could be wrong.

The PS5/4 games seem to be covered by the mid tier option, and the games mentioned are all getting on a bit now.

My main issue with this, based purely on the press release, is that it sounds like this is something Sony expect you to buy in addition to shelling out for big new releases. Part of the reason Game Pass is so appealing is that it mostly removes the need to buy games at all. 

This was a bit disappointing, was hoping for the bombshell that all 1st party would be available day one. 

The only reason I will buy a PS5 if is they offer 1st party day one. 

Prob not going to happen but Jim Ryan didn't totally discredit it happening in the future. 

Just now, Mogster said:

My main issue with this, based purely on the press release, is that it sounds like this is something Sony expect you to buy in addition to shelling out for big new releases. Part of the reason Game Pass is so appealing is that it mostly removes the need to buy games at all. 

Oh, I missed that it potentially doesn't include the day 1 stuff.

Someone upthread mentioned that we'll probably get some Day 1 stuff but it'll be MTX infested grindfests from their brave new GAAS future.

/finger on monkey's paw curls

Sony's first party monsters like spiderman, god of war etc are essentially their golden egg. They won't give it away and it would have been delusional to think they would have unless they were hurting for direct game sales. 

I have a few years of cheap plus racked up so I wonder what the upgrade prices would be. About a year ago you could stack up PS Now for about £20 year a pop. I regret not going nuts, just bought a single year which expired.

8 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Oh, I missed that it potentially doesn't include the day 1 stuff.

I don't think there's any potentially about it, or they'd be shouting it from the rooftops instead of talking about God of War and Returnal. I wouldn't be surprised to see some smaller releases launching on the service mind.

Although the 12-month Now subscription has been removed from the Store, if you're a current or prior Now subscriber you can renew/extend from the Subscription Management section; on PS5 look in the Store under the '...' menu in the top-right. You can stack several years if you want to.

I bought a year for £50 – remember to buy cheap credit – which is a bit premature as obviously Premium won't convert until June, but I'm guessing they'll close this loophole before then.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I suspect Sony wanted to dip their toes into the lucrative subscription business but had no intention of outright competing with Game Pass. Or even feel like they need to - the PlayStation powerhouse can do its own thing and do fine.

For me, as a multiplatform owner it's pretty clear which service is by far the most appealing. But we're a niche audience here, the vast majority of PlayStation owners are probably single platform types - certainly when it comes to the more casual segment. So this service only needs to look like a good deal by itself, rather than compared to Game Pass. Because the audience they're aiming at won't be directly comparing it to game pass.

I think the problem here was the press bigging this up over the last few months as a like for like Gamepass competitor/beater, which it was never going to be. Sony is still very much focused on selling consoles and making big budget, open world story driven games which doesn't fit the GP model offered by MS, so this shouldn't be a surprise. 

Ultimately a good deal for existing PS owners  Having access to a catalogue of old games is a good thing. I would hope trophy support is added to these games as well. Not sure whether I can justify another Sub though on top of everything else at the moment (and with prices going up everywhere).

46 minutes ago, deKay said:

It's more than the current Plus. The current Plus will still exist at the same price as it is now.

Oh yeah, £84 vs £50. £34 RRP extra for the equivalent of Now if you’re really that keen to play Borderlands 3. Think I’ll dip out (ends up getting the Premium).

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Wonder if PS5 owners will now loose access to the suite of PS4 games they currently have access to via PSN+?

Why? Surely the simple conclusion is that all of those games will feature within the new subscription regardless?

10 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I think the problem here was the press bigging this up over the last few months as a like for like Gamepass competitor/beater

Did they though? Anyone reporting on the rumours I read had always flagged it wasn’t going to be day 1 for first party.

Was really hoping there’d be a super basic dirt cheap option with no games at all. I’m only paying it for online play, couldn’t care less about most of the ‘free’ games.

55 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

As others have said it will be the selection of games that make or break it. I expect we’ll see a dedicated section at their (not) E3 showcase this year.

I really wouldn’t expect anything other than the current ps now list with a few extra titles.

All this is really doing is rolling ps plus and ps now in to one tiered sub. It’s a repackaging exercise to get more people into the extended ps now service 

There not going to be any earth shattering additions. 

I quite like it to be honest, Gamepass is superb and whilst this isn't as good (no Day 1 1st party stuff) I may well plump for it as I get my Gamepass free due to the rewards thing anyway so paying for one sub wont be so bad.

A couple of things I need to clear up first before I pull the trigger (and potentially buy a ps5 if I can find one!)

1) What are the games in the PS4/5 list and the retro list - I missed out on quite a few Sony exclusives so this would be a great way to catch up on that stuff. If it is packed full of old back catalogue filler with the odd little nugget of good then no thanks.

2) Is it native emulation/recompiles or is it (hnngggggg) streamed for the older stuff. I use streaming on GP just to see if I like a game and if I do I download it, I dislike streaming as a definitive solution.

If the answer to 2 is streaming like PSNow it will be a hard no from me and I think it would mean that Sony aren't v serious about it.

1 minute ago, Clipper said:

I quite like it to be honest, Gamepass is superb and whilst this isn't as good (no Day 1 1st party stuff) I may well plump for it as I get my Gamepass free due to the rewards thing anyway so paying for one sub wont be so bad.

A couple of things I need to clear up first before I pull the trigger (and potentially buy a ps5 if I can find one!)

1) What are the games in the PS4/5 list and the retro list - I missed out on quite a few Sony exclusives so this would be a great way to catch up on that stuff. If it is packed full of old back catalogue filler with the odd little nugget of good then no thanks.

2) Is it native emulation/recompiles or is it (hnngggggg) streamed for the older stuff. I use streaming on GP just to see if I like a game and if I do I download it, I dislike streaming as a definitive solution.

To be confirmed but I would say the ps now list gives you a general idea 

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps-now/ps-now-games/

I'll see what games appear but might push up from the basic tier if they look ok.

Not exactly surprising it hasn't matched GP, Sony don't have all that Azure/Office cash to throw at their gaming division.

11 minutes ago, Fuddle said:

Was really hoping there’d be a super basic dirt cheap option with no games at all. I’m only paying it for online play, couldn’t care less about most of the ‘free’ games.

I was wondering what the point of Gold is now, but hadn't really thought about this. At this point, we should just make the online bit free, or an almost free tier if they can't bring themselves to do that.

2 minutes ago, PaB said:

To be confirmed but I would say the ps now list gives you a general idea 

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps-now/ps-now-games/

that isn't bad but it is a bit "old games gathering dust" in places. FOr instance no Returnal or Miles Morales or Death Stranding or God of War all of which are mentioned in announcement so I assume there will be some uplift. The fact that Uncharted 4 and Last of us 2 and Days Gone are missing is also disappointing, I would hope this would be most Sony exclusives older than , say, 12 months old?

I know people rag on Sony for being conservative with this stuff but I am an eternal optimist :D

(If they stick to streaming only for certain titles that will be a big fat nope from me)

Returnal is still £70 then? :coffee:

seriously though, is there a table, or other infographic, I can consume at my leisure, and weigh up whether I need to spend more money upgrade or not?

thanks!

Just now, Clipper said:

that isn't bad but it is a bit "old games gathering dust" in places. FOr instance no Returnal or Miles Morales or Death Stranding or God of War all of which are mentioned in announcement so I assume there will be some uplift. The fact that Uncharted 4 and Last of us 2 and Days Gone are missing is also disappointing, I would hope this would be most Sony exclusives older than , say, 12 months old?

I know people rag on Sony for being conservative with this stuff but I am an eternal optimist :D

(If they stick to streaming only for certain titles that will be a big fat nope from me)

God of war, uncharted 4 and days gone are all covered by the psplus for ps5 offer ( you basically get them along with another 15 or so PS4 titles when you sign up to psplus with your ps5).

there will be some other additions no doubt ; miles morales and death stranding as you say . Last of us 2 will be on the service at some point for sure 

with regards to downloads vs streaming , all the PS4 games are downloadable as will *some* ps1/2 games . All ps3 games are streamed .

5 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Uncharted 4 and Days Gone are both ‘free’ in the collection that any PS5 owner with a PS Plus subscription gets. You’d think that would get rationalised into the new service but then again who knows. 

3 minutes ago, PaB said:

God of war, uncharted 4 and days gone are all covered by the psplus for ps5 offer ( you basically get them along with another 15 or so PS4 titles when you sign up to psplus with your ps5).

there will be some other additions no doubt ; miles morales and death stranding as you say . Last of us 2 will be on the service at some point for sure 

with regards to downloads vs streaming , all the PS4 games are downloadable as will *some* ps1/2 games . All ps3 games are streamed .

a mix of good and bad - if it is "just" PSNow in another wrapper with sprinkles on top (Newer games) but still has streaming for a fair amount of the catalogue then I won't bother I don't think. Streaming just isnt as good.

I still hope that they do more than this bare minimum though.

EDIT - and thanks I sort of knew about the PS4 games for PS5 owners thing but had forgotten , it wasn't enough to make me buy a PS5 so i lost it down the back of my mind sofa :D

Just now, Clipper said:

a mix of good and bad - if it is "just" PSNow in another wrapper with sprinkles on top (Newer games) but still has streaming for a fair amount of the catalogue then I won't bother I don't think. Streaming just isnt as good.

That’s exactly what it is . Ps plus + psnow + unknown extras. PS3 games will not be playable locally . They will be streaming only , that won’t change. 

There are a couple of things this really needs:

- Decent indie titles launching on the service from day one.

- First party games staying on the service once they’re on there. I can handle them not being there on release, but chopping and changing all the time means I’ll probably never get into something for fear of it leaving the service.

And yep, it all hinges on the selection of games. If it’s the same stinky selection of PS2 games released as ‘classics’, they can fuck off. The fact that there are PSP games there gives me the slight hope there’ll be more on offer.