IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

7 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I dont really get it, I have a PS+ sub until the end of January 2023, if i add psnow now (or buy a code and hold onto it) does it convert to the top tier come June?

Yes, for as long as your PS Now sub would last (this isn't Game Pass). But it would be slightly more expensive that way.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Because Uzi said it was there.

For PS now if you followed the previous pages. Any unused ps now sub automatically converts to the highest tier/premium

I still think they should have gone with 2 tiers rather than 3, but I’m willing to concede they probably know their business better than me (but only grudgingly).

Other than that, it’s pretty much what one would expect, isn’t it?

Whats the betting we in the U.K. get PAL 50Hz versions of the retro games?

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Yes, for as long as your PS Now sub would last (this isn't Game Pass). But it would be slightly more expensive that way.

Can you ‘top’ up plus to the top tier then and is that less than £40?

This is all getting a bit weird. Sony have clearly tied their own hands by trying to do things differently in the past (vita touch controls, ps3 cell)

£100 a year for ps plus , ps now , time limited demos and an extensive library of pretty much every game I already own no doubt fleshed out with the tat that gets shoved on steam.

I guess it doesn’t matter about profit, the shareholders just want subscriber numbers as a measure of success and potential growth.

I hope Sony at least hold something sacred for the future.

The devaluing of games is almost complete.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Can you ‘top’ up plus to the top tier then and is that less than £40?

All we know for certain is that those with an active Now subscription will have it converted to the new Premium tier. As Now is half the price that's a decent deal.

Existing Plus subscriptions should convert to the Essential tier, as the only difference between the two is the name. Presumably you will then need to pay the difference to upgrade to the Extra or Premium tier; £34 and £50 for a year, respectively.

It's possible they'll run some kind of launch promotion, I suppose. This announcement feels like it's for the benefit of imminent financial calls rather than answering everyone's questions – a nice graphic would have made what's being offered so much clearer – but they've a few months to get their FAQs in order.

4 hours ago, Harrisown said:

What does this mean? Haven’t Sony started this gen by bumping up the cost of their AAA first party titles to £70? That seems like the opposite of devaluing to me.

9 hours ago, Uzi said:

For PS now if you followed the previous pages. Any unused ps now sub automatically converts to the highest tier/premium

OK, I can still only see an option for one month on the PS5 though.

7 hours ago, Harrisown said:

This is all getting a bit weird. Sony have clearly tied their own hands by trying to do things differently in the past (vita touch controls, ps3 cell)

£100 a year for ps plus , ps now , time limited demos and an extensive library of pretty much every game I already own no doubt fleshed out with the tat that gets shoved on steam.

I guess it doesn’t matter about profit, the shareholders just want subscriber numbers as a measure of success and potential growth.

I hope Sony at least hold something sacred for the future.

if you’d left the first paragraph out, this would be an almost perfect parody.

33 minutes ago, deKay said:

OK, I can still only see an option for one month on the PS5 though.

I think you spent so long being confused you've missed the boat. The 12 month option was there (and in the app) last night but appears to have been removed now. 

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

I think you spent so long being confused you've missed the boat. The 12 month option was there (and in the app) last night but appears to have been removed now. 

I was never confused!

The option is still there for me, although I haven’t clicked through to purchase though so I’m not sure if it’s blocked later. 

On the PS5, go to store, subscriptions, select PS now, then the … in the top right, manage sub and I can see an extend for 12 month option there. 

Still works for me. Used the last of my wallet to top up until 26/10/2024. Tempted to go again but I’m not sure if it’ll be worth it until I see what’s actually available in the new library. 

I'll be interested in the pricing here (since the infrastructure can't support game streaming so it might well be cheaper here.)

And apologies if someone else has already pointed this out but the big issue Sony is going to have with rereleasing old PSOne / PS2 games is with music rights. It might have been cheap previously when they were using Sony owned tracks but music catalogues move around a fair bit and it's been 10-20 years. WipeOut 2097 without Firestarter is like Crazy Taxi without Bad Religion / The Offspring.

Got to admit I am pretty underwhelmed by this announcement, and more than anything puzzled by what Sony think they are gaining by playing it this way?

What we got is basically a consolidation of the PS Plus and Now services, which makes obvious business sense for Sony, and as the very title of this thread suggests should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody.

The bigging it up though with ‘Project Spartacus’ rumours swirling around for months, and Sony influencers spouting bullshit about this being an epic gamechanger etc etc is where the confusion comes in.

All it does is raise expectations to a level that we’re never going to be met.

Reading through this thread you can find posts from people who assumed (perhaps not unfairly) that via this new service they would be getting day 1 first party releases, when in fact they are actually getting a rebranding exercise.  

Sony have openly stated they have a different model to Microsoft and will not be looking to compete head on with Gamepass. So what do they gain then by acting now like they are trying to compete with it, but crucially with one arm tied behind their back?

2 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Reading through this thread you can find posts from people who assumed (perhaps not unfairly) that via this new service they would be getting day 1 first party releases, when in fact they are actually getting a rebranding exercise.  

I don't think anyone *really* thought they'd be getting first party release day 1. With the exception of MLB The Show, perhaps.

Sometimes we overplay the "confusion" and "disappointment". This announcement is pretty much what we'd expect, except for the very high month costs relative to a yearly subscription (which is presumably simply to avoid people dipping in and out).

4 minutes ago, footle said:

I don't think anyone *really* thought they'd be getting first party release day 1. With the exception of MLB The Show, perhaps.

Sometimes we overplay the "confusion" and "disappointment". This announcement is pretty much what we'd expect, except for the very high month costs relative to a yearly subscription (which is presumably simply to avoid people dipping in and out).

It is totally what you would expect yes reading the stuff Jim Ryan and the like have been saying for months, but I doubt the average gamer (I class regular posters on forums as hardcore) follow that discussion particularly closely.

So from their point of view they hear of this mysterious ‘Project Spartacus’ coming from Sony which the influencers are telling them is an absolute game changer, and then they get an exercise in rebranding.  

I understand the need to market etc, but this approach just seems destined for unfavourable comparisons with GP, when Sony don’t even want to compete head on with GP!!!!

The average gamer hadn't even heard of "project Spartacus" and still hasn't heard of this. I don't think the confusion of anything is a real problem. The only issue I see is that it looks a little underwhelming.

Fair point.  

I guess as someone who frequently reads up and comments on gaming news, it is easy to forget that the vast majority of people will be blissfully unaware of any of it.

Makes sense from Sony's point of view but for me can't see much difference. For years I've picked up plus for £30 when on special and Now for £20-£25 so quite a jump in price.

A rebrand may help with the general public as many still don't seem to know PSNow allows downloads of many games - and has for years now - and has hundreds of games. It's been a long long time since it was streaming only.

There's so many games now for next to nothing I barely have time so this is an incentive to give up the top tier at least. 

It's a box ticking exercise so they can say they have a GamePass as well even though their heart clearly isn't in it. I had an email from them this morning about the new packages and it was laughably low effort, without even a logo and the text of the mail itself could barely seem to muster up any enthusiasm. The main strategy that they actually care about at the moment seems to be pivoting towards loads of GAAS offerings. We'll see how that works out for them, the landscape is already littered with failed attempts as people only have so much time and once they're invested into a GAAS treadmill and treating it like a second job it can be hard to get them to move away to new ones.

It's interesting to think how useful this actually is for anyone who's been in the Sony ecosystem for any length of time. I signed up for PS+ just before the PS4 launch, when I got a Vita, I think. So, 8 years in, the PSN Store page tells me I have 296 games available to me via PS+.

272 of those are PS4 ones, and the remainder are PS5. I know that it also gave me access to over 100 PS3 games in that time, and probably the same again on Vita.

Which means that on a purely maths level, there are at least 100 additional games across PS4 and PS5 that we've never seen on PS+ coming. We can probably assume more, as not all of the games that have ever previously been on PS+ are likely to be included. EA Play could account for a third of them (there is some duplication between what's been on Plus and what is on EA Play), and I'd put money on it being included.

Definitely interested to see what comes.

21 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The average gamer hadn't even heard of "project Spartacus" and still hasn't heard of this. I don't think the confusion of anything is a real problem. The only issue I see is that it looks a little underwhelming.

what would make it not underwhelming though? I can't think of anything. The big hitters are the Sony first party games and people who care have those and know those games inside out. We've also gone through 10 years of playstation plus where people have accumulated a lot of shit or in many cases completely ignored what they've been given because they just don't care.

I know most people I spoke to about PS5 say they just deleted Astrobot before even booting it. Others said they're so bored of the games they have but literally refuse to try anything else even when it's sitting there in the PS5 collection or on Plus. They fight through the pain and continue to play Fifa and COD despite not enjoying it.

We know PS3 backward compatibility can't be done. That would be the only thing I can think of that could make the difference. Playing The Puppeteer in upscaled 4k with fake HDR natively would be pretty great.

I take it this entire service is available on PS4 swell. I wonder if they will pull shit like having Ghost of Tushima on the service but only the PS4 version or that littlebigplanet game...but only on PS5. Ormaybe they will put the PS4 version of Death Stranding on the service and the PS5 version and there you go, you got two games!

23 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

what would make it not underwhelming though? I can't think of anything. The big hitters are the Sony first party games and people who care have those and know those games inside out. We've also gone through 10 years of playstation plus where people have accumulated a lot of shit or in many cases completely ignored what they've been given because they just don't care.

I know most people I spoke to about PS5 say they just deleted Astrobot before even booting it. Others said they're so bored of the games they have but literally refuse to try anything else even when it's sitting there in the PS5 collection or on Plus. They fight through the pain and continue to play Fifa and COD despite not enjoying it.

We know PS3 backward compatibility can't be done. That would be the only thing I can think of that could make the difference. Playing The Puppeteer in upscaled 4k with fake HDR natively would be pretty great.

I take it this entire service is available on PS4 swell. I wonder if they will pull shit like having Ghost of Tushima on the service but only the PS4 version or that littlebigplanet game...but only on PS5. Ormaybe they will put the PS4 version of Death Stranding on the service and the PS5 version and there you go, you got two games!

Indeed its all a bit underwhelming TBH. But as mentioned its the Sony hyperbole. Again. And it continues. No details of what titles we can expect on each tier etc. Not much (if any) mention of third party indie titles. I expect this will continue. And people will continue to speculate about what will/won't be in the service. In some sort of odd way perhaps Sony are engineering this so people do chat on social about it all? Keeps it relevant I guess.

As for what Sony have offered so far on PSN+ it was great on PS3 - lots of content and even AAA games on there. This slowed down hugely after the release of PS4 though and had the odd decent game here and there. The bundle of PS4 games were a nice bonus for new PS5 owners (if you hadn't played them before). On par though I've preferred the offerings on GamePass/Gold over the years. In particular the range of indie titles on GamePass has been great. 

It will be interesting to see how many indie games Sony get onto the new service tiers. Not hugely interested in playing PS1/2/3 games TBH want to play fresh new things. Not even that fussed about big AAA games been on any of the Sony sub services. Happy to cherry pick and buy those that I want to play as I wouldn't want them compromised to fit a GAAS model or full of MTXs. Oh. Well maybe GT7 should have been on the Premium tier really... Think it would sit quite well on that :)

@MattyP I think PS Plus has been better than GWG for a very long time, if not always. It's Gamepass that trump's PS+

I think people just need to wait and see what is on there. It might turn out to be half decent. 

I just hope the Emulation for PS1 has a feature set similar to Duckstation to make the games look unbelievable. 

34 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

@MattyP I think PS Plus has been better than GWG for a very long time, if not always. It's Gamepass that trump's PS+

Yes indeed. Think Sony went full on after GWG was released* on the 360 and put some great content on there. GWG has been awful from the XBox One on really... 

Although do like the fact that I got to keep all my 360 GWG content irrespective of whether I was subbed to Gold or not. Discovered a lot of these old titles when messing about with a 360 I picked up last year.

*EDIT: Actually PS+ was released before GWG. Think GWG was MS's response to Sony charging for online via PS+ IIRC I think online used to be free on PS3 up until that point and games were a perk of the service. Made MS Gold look expensive for just online play at the time. Saying that always found playing online with PS3 a somewhat hit an miss experience back then. Remember trying to play MotorStorm online with a bunch of work colleagues and it was hit/miss whether you got voice working and it was laggy experience compared to MS Gold service - which I guess was a lot more mature at that point. Anyway... :) 

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now