PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

I do find the "well, this is disappointing" reaction a bit strange. For years people have been banging on about how amazing backwards compatibility is and praising Microsoft for going hard on it. Sony announce that they've made PS1, PS2 and PSP games run natively on current gen hardware and suddenly "only" backwards compatibility is underwhelming. What more were you expecting? They've stated publicly multiple times that first party games won't be coming day one to their subscription services.

I think it's more they haven't come out and said how extensive the backwards compatible library is. Is it shit they've already sold on Vita/PS3 or are they adding to it? The announcement is incredibly predictable and typically Sony in the specifics. Also I guess people aren't hopeful for it being decent because the actual boss has stated:

"When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

So it's understandable people are underwhelmed.

9 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I think it's more they haven't come out and said how extensive the backwards compatible library is. Is it shit they've already sold on Vita/PS3 or are they adding to it? The announcement is incredibly predictable and typically Sony in the specifics. Also I guess people aren't hopeful for it being decent because the actual boss has stated:

"When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much. That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

So it's understandable people are underwhelmed.

I think it's true that the typical ps5 owner doesn't really care about playing original ps games.

Maybe. I do think the landscape has changed somewhat in that regard though. The Crash and Spyro remasters have shown that the generation that grew up with them still have a soft spot for them, so now PS5 owners are probably PS1/2 kids and would love to play their youth, just like people want to play NES/SNES/N64.

Also where is the hook? Who is it for?

If you play PS Now on a PC for instance (I know I know but some people must😏), you have just been informed the price to do so has doubled, as you can only access on PC via the Premium service when previously you just needed a Now subscription.  

A niche point for sure, but still does not help to promote any enthusiasm that Sony are serious about pushing into the PC gaming sphere does it?  

It is all just a bit low key and meh, where as I want to be literally banging the door down to hand them over my hard earned.

17 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Also where is the hook? Who is it for?

If you play PS Now on a PC for instance (I know I know but some people must😏), you have just been informed the price to do so has doubled, as you can only access on PC via the Premium service when previously you just needed a Now subscription.  

A niche point for sure, but still does not help to promote any enthusiasm that Sony are serious about pushing into the PC gaming sphere does it?  

It is all just a bit low key and meh, where as I want to be literally banging the door down to hand them over my hard earned.

Sony's space in PC gaming is with actual pc ports of their game which has been ramping up. God of War, Horizon and Uncharted on steam probably matter far far far more than PS Now streaming on a PC app. 

It looks great for those who are solely on the PlayStation platform, but on comparison with the Xbox's offering it seems underwhelming.

First up, I've not seen any reference to EA Play games being included, which (if not) means an additional charge for these customers.

Secondly, is there any confirmation that PS5 games will launch on the service? If not, gamers are forced to either pay more to play a game on release, or wait for it to appear on the service.

Like I said, it seems like a good deal for those gaming on PlayStation systems. If/when I get a PS5 I am more likely to get the digital-only unit and subscribe. But it feels like a halfway house between Microsoft's Netflix-esque approach, and Nintendo's pay-per-game model, which carries the criticism that it does neither effectively.

The naming completely sucks though. PlayStation Plus Essential, PS Plus Extra, and PS Plus Premium seem likely to confuse. The customer service lines will have a great time trying to explain to parents that they bought the wrong subscription, meaning that their child can not download the game they want or the dad ends up frustrated that they spent £50 more than they thought. And we all know how good Sony are with refunds!

It depends on the PS1, 2 and 3 library. I'd love an easy and accessible way to play games from those generations. PS Now did not scratch that itch at all, its library is weirdly incomplete.

4 hours ago, Radish said:

Sony announce that they've made PS1, PS2 and PSP games run natively on current gen hardware and suddenly "only" backwards compatibility is underwhelming.

They’re not running natively, are they? They’re emulated.

3 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Secondly, is there any confirmation that PS5 games will launch on the service? If not, gamers are forced to either pay more to play a game on release, or wait for it to appear on the service.

Yes, and they absolutely will not.

34 minutes ago, footle said:

Ah Nate's talked about it in his newsletter which I'll arbitrarily plug: https://hitpoints.substack.com/p/108-ex-plus-alpha?s=r

Question: Would this be better if the top tier included discounts at your local coffee shop?

Yeah great stuff as usual:

This was never going to be a Game Pass rival, obviously. Sony doesn’t have the resources to take on Microsoft head-on, and it’s now quite clear it has no intention to anyway. It was always going to be an additive service for PlayStation users, rather than platform-defining like Game Pass is on Xbox, and that’s all it needed to be. Sony is still the market leader, selling consoles as fast as it can make them. Its games tend to be rapturously received and the community appears to have largely adjusted to, if not quite accepted, the £70 pricetag on PS5 games. I recognise that Sony had to walk a tightrope here: it had to be seen to be doing something about Game Pass, but also had to ensure that its response did not interfere with its existing business model. But that hardly excuses the volume of unforced errors we saw in yesterday’s announcement. The end result was a very good advert for Game Pass, which I doubt was the intention, somehow.

5 hours ago, Radish said:

I do find the "well, this is disappointing" reaction a bit strange. For years people have been banging on about how amazing backwards compatibility is and praising Microsoft for going hard on it. Sony announce that they've made PS1, PS2 and PSP games run natively on current gen hardware and suddenly "only" backwards compatibility is underwhelming. What more were you expecting? They've stated publicly multiple times that first party games won't be coming day one to their subscription services.

Well if you’re going to compare it with Microsoft’s offering then it has an awful lot to live to up to. Already they have confirmed that PS3 titles are still only playable via streaming compared with Microsoft’s enhanced versions of their 360 and original Xbox games. Who knows what treatment, if any, the rest of the catalogue will get. 

Of course a big difference is that in order to play your old Xbox games you just need to own the original, digitally or on disc, and you can play them. For Sony they appear to be only available via a paid subscription. 

I can see the second tier being the most popular as it offers the best value for money overall I think, and let’s be honest who really wants to pay substantially more just to play upscaled PSP games? It’s also dangerously close to Game Pass pricing without including the pièce de résistance that is all first party titles. 

edit. The pricing baffles me - Game Pass Ultimate is actually cheaper monthly than PS+ Premium, why would they gift MS such a marketing advantage? 

46 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Yes, and they absolutely will not.

In which case, the temptation from my PoV is to buy a PS5 towards the end of this gen, subscribe for a year to mop up the first party games that will be on the system by that point, and play through them then. MS have made it hard for Sony - GP is constantly throwing new games at me. Its not like GP subscribers will have any shortage of new titles to play for the rest of this gen, if things continue like this, so there is no incentive to subscribe to two services and buy new games.

Something gamepass does well is the constant dripfeeding of new stuff, you can expect at the very least something you'll want to try every week or two. And it's all a good mix of first party stuff, small indie games, bigger name indies with high production values like Tunic or Weird West etc, and then slightly older big publisher stuff. Makes it all feel very vibrant and interesting and like you're getting an actual *service* for your money rather than a repository of games no one wants to buy. For better or worse there isn't actually that much backwards compatible stuff on gamepass, it's generally fairly current games.

They must presumably have a pretty big team devoted to finding and curating what goes on there, as well as the money they spend for the games themselves.

I don't see Sony really putting the effort or money in to pull that off, they seem to do the bare minimum with stuff like this all the time.

54 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

In which case, the temptation from my PoV is to buy a PS5 towards the end of this gen, subscribe for a year to mop up the first party games that will be on the system by that point, and play through them then.

Only that won’t work either as the games don’t stay on the service, not even first party. 

I have no intention counting to find out if it's true or not but someone on Resetera did a count of how many of the 700+ games currently on PS Now were released in each calendar year and something like 4 games currently on the service were released in 2021 or 2022. If you're used to Gamepass that's kind of crazy. You'd expect that in an average fortnight on Gamepass. 

The two services are operating in entirely different universes really. I'm just not convinced adding old first party games to the PS service every so often is enough of a USP. In a strange way, the subs offering is a victim of the commercial success of Sony's first party games. 

Their games sell so well that by the time they end up on these services you have to wonder who will really be excited about them. These subs services are surely primarily pitched at enthusiasts first and foremost but they're exactly the demographic who will have been likely to played God of War, TLOU2 etc long ago. Somewhat perversely, this model would probably work better if Sony's games didn't sell so well. But because they do they're practically old news to most of the core market by the time they wind up on this service. 

Not sure why the comparison to GamePass? I mean if you have a PlayStation you have it for the Sony exclusives. Or because it's what your mates have. Or whatever. Don't think GamePass is a system seller IMHO sure it's a cheap way of playing games but if you like Sony's content it won't sway you to an Xbox over a PS IMHO. 

10 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Not sure why the comparison to GamePass? I mean if you have a PlayStation you have it for the Sony exclusives. Or because it's what your mates have. Or whatever. Don't think GamePass is a system seller IMHO sure it's a cheap way of playing games but if you like Sony's content it won't sway you to an Xbox over a PS IMHO. 

It doesn’t need to be a system seller, in fact it’s pretty much platform agnostic. 

By all means criticise the service's catalogue once it's known, but I don't get the rush to paint everything in as negative a light as possible based on practically zero information.

PlayStation Now was a decent service but it only had a few million subscribers. Sony generally didn't push it that hard, probably because it was so tied to game streaming which was only available in some markets and had limited capacity. Given they are relaunching the service, with the games catalogue now decoupled from the streaming aspect, it seems fair to assume that they will have a new budget and perhaps invest it differently. For example, first-party additions may be permanent going forward and we might see more day-one releases hit the service; at the start of this month Shadow Warrior 3 was available via Now on release day, should you wish to interpret that as any kind of evidence.

9 hours ago, Mortis said:

Lol if Sonys efforts with BC in the past is anything to go by it’ll be as bare bones as possible. 

that’s all it needs to be to tick the boxes. As far as they are concerned they just need to maintain their lead not accelerate like MS have had to do to even make a dent this gen. 

Until I see first party games on the service within 18 months or so of launch it’ll play second fiddle to gamepass.  But I’ll likely subscribe if I can stream on PS4/pc. 

12 minutes ago, Ferine said:

By all means criticise the service's catalogue once it's known, but I don't get the rush to paint everything in as negative a light as possible based on practically zero information.

PlayStation Now was a decent service but it only had a few million subscribers. Sony generally didn't push it that hard, probably because it was so tied to game streaming which was only available in some markets and had limited capacity. Given they are relaunching the service, with the games catalogue now decoupled from the streaming aspect, it seems fair to assume that they will have a new budget and perhaps invest it differently. For example, first-party additions may be permanent going forward and we might see more day-one releases hit the service; at the start of this month Shadow Warrior 3 was available via Now on release day, should you wish to interpret that as any kind of evidence.

I think if they were planning anything like that, day one releases, permanent additions etc. then they would have made it part of their announcement along with pricing. 

25 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I think if they were planning anything like that, day one releases, permanent additions etc. then they would have made it part of their announcement along with pricing. 

Who knows with Sony. This "launch" has been a bit well a none event really. As mentioned up thread more of a rebrand and reshuffle of existing services. 

Not sure what it will mean for people on the lowest tier but expect it will be business as normal. 

All down to content in the end and they've been pretty vague about that so my expectations are set accordingly. 

In the end all this is giving more options for the way you want to play so that can only be a good thing. Just hope that what was PS+ doesn't change that much to try and move people onto more expensive tiers. However who am I kidding right?! :D

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Who knows with Sony. This "launch" has been a bit well a none event really. As mentioned up thread more of a rebrand and reshuffle of existing services. 

Not sure what it will mean for people on the lowest tier but expect it will be business as normal. 

All down to content in the end and they've been pretty vague about that so my expectations are set accordingly. 

In the end all this is giving more options for the way you want to play so that can only be a good thing. Just hope that what was PS+ doesn't change that much to try and move people onto more expensive tiers. However who am I kidding right?! :D

It's not launched. They've explicitly said what it means for people on the lowest tier. Yep we're waiting on the detailed list. They've explicitly said what existing PS+ becomes. 

1 hour ago, Ferine said:

They've explicitly said in other places they will not do Day One releases as a strategy as per MS' offering. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Until I see first party games on the service within 18 months or so of launch it’ll play second fiddle to gamepass.  But I’ll likely subscribe if I can stream on PS4/pc. 

All or some? Because they've already announced Miles Morales (20 months when it hits) and Returnal (14 months).

2 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

All or some? Because they've already announced Miles Morales (20 months when it hits) and Returnal (14 months).

That's decent.  Is that available at the lowest tier or one of the higher tiers?

I'm holding out on buying hardware just yet so if it has streaming to Ps4/PC I think for me it'll be a "good thing"

55 minutes ago, Stanley said:

That would be a better way to announce it in my opinion, sure. But have you been paying attention to Sony's sparse communication style these past few years?

Let's look at an example:

The schedule for the above? Roughly lines up with Sony taking the information to external developers, meaning it was almost certain to leak given the amount of people involved.

Alternatively you could look at Sony's announced game schedule: MLB The Show very soon, GoW: Ragnarok this year, TLoU standalone multiplayer this year probably, Spider-Man 2 next year, Wolverine at least a year after and Horizon: Call of the Mountain when PSVR2 launches, I guess? If you want to scour job postings and the like you will see that Sony's many studios are all expanding, many of them working on multiple projects, and yet if they aren't tied to a Marvel licence Sony's largely keeping schtum.

I think the only reason we're hearing about this subscription service now is so they can say it was announced within the financial year. Why they couldn't stretch to having a nicely formatted infographic is beyond me, though.