IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

18 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I'm missing something here then - because if people are not, on average, spending more money after subscribing to GP how does the average spend for that group go up when compared against people that are not subscribed? Taking into account they will have been in the first group (non-subbed) before moving over to the second group (subbed). Unless you think it's basically a result of people going directly in as subbed without ever being part of the ecosystem prior - which is of course possible, but I think that's not really fair as really their spending has also gone up as far as MS are concerned (they are spending 100% more in fact).

Also, as I previously said, I'm not arguing they are spending more *overall* - I'm saying they are spending more *with MS* - which is all they care about.

You’re taking as a prior that the folks with Game Pass didn’t already spend more money than the folks who don’t have it. So the people who are most engaged with gaming used to spend the same amount as the people who aren’t.

I don’t think that you can take that prior.

Anecdotally (!) there are a lot of people with game pass on here, and I bet our average spending on gaming is a lot higher than the average.

12 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I'm missing something here then - because if people are not, on average, spending more money after subscribing to GP how does the average spend for that group go up when compared against people that are not subscribed? Taking into account they will have been in the first group (non-subbed) before moving over to the second group (subbed). Unless you think it's basically a result of people going directly in as subbed without ever being part of the ecosystem prior - which is of course possible, but I think that's not really fair as really their spending has also gone up as far as MS are concerned (they are spending 100% more in fact).

Also, as I previously said, I'm not arguing they are spending more *overall* - I'm saying they are spending more *with MS* - which is all they care about.

What I'm saying is that a user is not in the non-subbed group and moved to the subbed group. The fact that they're in the subbed group says something about their spending before they subbed. They are more hardcore (horrible term) and spent more before they were subbed. When a currently non-subbed user subs they're really a third category (maybe "casual subbed"). Does their spending go up/down or remain unchanged? This is what we don't know (MS do but are not showing it).

The interesting thing your last point alludes to is who cares about what? MS have to worry about their bottom line long term of course. But for GP to be successful they have to convince developers and publishers to out their content on game pass. So yes it's important that MS make more overall (i.e. user spending with them after subbing is more including the GP cost than it was before). But as a publisher you need to know that you'll make as much or more from what MS pay you plus DLC and micro transactions.

Anyway, to bring it all back to Sony.... The same applies to them. They are wondering if they make as much from a sub with day 1 first party titles vs selling them for £70

I think if the subscription is tasty enough they might be able to have their cake and eat it.   People subscribing to pick up the third parties and much older first party stuff with the day 1 single story blockbusters being enough of a draw to make big bucks. THAT is something they still have over MS I think.

NO doubt both companies will be saying how awesome their numbers are for ever more.   At least there's some competition.

My son got an XBOX just to play FIFA with his friends, aside from that I don't think we bought a single thing for it. So him and the many people like him would be in the 'non-GP' graph, pulling the spend average down.

5 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

What I'm saying is that a user is not in the non-subbed group and moved to the subbed group. The fact that they're in the subbed group says something about their spending before they subbed. They are more hardcore (horrible term) and spent more before they were subbed. When a currently non-subbed user subs they're really a third category (maybe "casual subbed"). Does their spending go up/down or remain unchanged? This is what we don't know (MS do but are not showing it).

Basically the “Correlation does not imply causation” argument right?

28 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

If you're a consumer and not having any business dealings with them who gives a fuck how much money Sony/MS do or don't make either way?

It. Doesn't. Matter.

Pretty much this, and as long as the developers are fairly compensated. 

4 hours ago, Haribokart said:

If you're a consumer and not having any business dealings with them who gives a fuck how much money Sony/MS do or don't make either way?

It. Doesn't. Matter.

Reminds of football fans moaning about transfer costs and wages. 

16 hours ago, SeanR said:

The other announcement

Or, apparently, with Game Pass. Which is a surprise: I’d assumed that it’d actually be limited to digital deluxe users.

It may have been discussed already, but you can still buy PSNow for 49 a year on the PSN store.  They are converting PS Now subs to the premium tier when it releases, so worth buying Now now?

11 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I wonder what they'll offer people who are subbed to both PS+ and PSNow?

Nothing additional, is my guess - if you have both as I do, then the combined cost of them equals the annual cost of the top tier really, so converting the Now to top tier Plus still works, you're not losing anything.  It'll get confusing when there are differing end dates to your Plus & Now periods, as I have.

The 'winners' are the 3 people in the world who have been subscribiing to PS Now, but not PS Plus, because their Now now includes plus, whereas those with only plus don't get anything new.

4 hours ago, sammy said:

It may have been discussed already, but you can still buy PSNow for 49 a year on the PSN store.  They are converting PS Now subs to the premium tier when it releases, so worth buying Now now?

How? I tried this last week and the option had gone as I was too late.

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

How? I tried this last week and the option had gone as I was too late.

Previously you could access the listing via a circuitous route on the console by managing subscriptions, but you should be able to sign up via the web using this link.

35 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Previously you could access the listing via a circuitous route on the console by managing subscriptions, but you should be able to sign up via the web using this link.

Nice, that worked for me, stacked a couple of years for now. I expect that I'll play one, maybe two of the games by October 2025.

It's pretty easy for me to justify stacking a few years of Now at £50 (well, £45) as my original Plus runs out in a few months which I now won't need to renew. Effectively this makes Premium around an extra £1 a month over what I've been paying, so even if the service isn't amazing it's highly unlikely I won't get my money's worth.

It'll be interesting to see what the gaming subscription landscape looks like in a few years when I might actually have to pay the asking price for Sony or Microsoft's. Hopefully it won't have become as much of a piecemeal nightmare as TV/film streaming, although that feels like something of an inevitability.

2 hours ago, Ferine said:

I guess this is for existing or past subscribers or has been taken down, not working for me anyway?

*** actually it does work if I copy the link into the browser rather than clicking through.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking earlier, that for this to be a worthwhile endevour, Sony needs to make the PS1/2/3 library as exhaustive as they possibly can.

Damn near every title, including original versions of games that have subsequently been remastered/remade, needs to be available. It needs to be like the Spotify of PlayStation, where I can rely upon any previously released PS game being there should I fancy having a go of it.

I get that there's licenses etc that will get in the way, but if Sony put enough effort, manpower and money into it, they can make it happen.

So I was thrilled to see this news post. It looks like they may actually be putting in place what I'm hoping for.

4 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I was thinking earlier, that for this to be a worthwhile endevour, Sony needs to make the PS1/2/3 library as exhaustive as they possibly can.

Damn near every title, including original versions of games that have subsequently been remastered/remade, needs to be available. It needs to be like the Spotify of PlayStation, where I can rely upon any previously released PS game being there should I fancy having a go of it.

I get that there's licenses etc that will get in the way, but if Sony put enough effort, manpower and money into it, they can make it happen.

So I was thrilled to see this news post. It looks like they may actually be putting in place what I'm hoping for.

That is flipping awesome. 

I love Gamepass lately, especially on console over PC. I use it way more as I can slouch on the couch, but I wish it had more of the original Xbox lineup included.

This may very well scratch that itch! 

9 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Won't that very quickly fall into a "diminishing returns" trap and there will be a very fat & long tail of old games that are either of very little interest to most people or are too difficult/ expensive to reasonably sort out the licencing?  How many subscribers will it realistically add/ retain?

There are almost 8,000 PS1 and 4,000 PS2 games!

Even the article clearly states "we have no fucking idea what these guys are doing", so it's probably worth not jumping to that conclusion. You'll only end up back in here come June complaining Sony didn't do the thing they never said they'd do.

Even Eurogamer were beating the standard drum this week - "Don't have said it'll be really easy to upgrade between tiers, but they didn't say how easy it would be to downgrade".

I've done what others have done though - I've stacked a couple of years of PSNow as my + runs out a month before this goes live.

I looked through the PSNow library and there is a veritable shitload of titles on that, which I hadn't realised. Not sure I'll ever buy a game again (I will) and it's got me questioning the Xbox SX purchase I'd been planning.

Just got an email from Sony outlining the new tiers. Does anyone have anything official that says which tier you'll get for a normal PS+ sub? The way it's written in the email and on their website avoids saying it directly. It says "f you purchase PlayStation Plus and are subscribed when the service changes, you will continue to have access to the PlayStation Plus benefits available today as featured above."

And above is the description of the three tiers... 

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps-plus/

3 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

It really doesn’t need to be that at all. There’s so much shite on there. Are you sure you’re not just thinking of the good games and forgetting all the shovelware?

9 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

The "normal PS+ sub" is now the Essential tier, isn't it? £50/year, multiplayer access, three free games a month...

Ah right, I had it in my head that it was the Extra tier for some reason.

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So if you’re already on the essential tier, do we know how much it costs to upgrade? 

Prices and content are as follows, I imagine you just need to pay the difference to 'upgrade'

871439635_Screenshot2022-04-26at16_03_45.thumb.png.26669dd35a606edf8599b40914a41cef.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps-plus/

The announcement has prompted me to actually think about my gaming subscription and whether I make enough use of them.  Seeing as I mostly game on Switch and Series X (inc Game Pass) at the mo and have less interest in online multiplayer I have decided to cancel PS+.  It's been ages since one of the monthly free games has been something i'm interested in and have not already played so there seemed no point in renewing atm.

On 04/04/2022 at 08:32, sammy said:

Personally not bothering. Sony are pretty muddled about what they are offering at the moment IMHO. It was quite clear cut with say GamePass. Day one releases with retail, lots of indie titles and some back catalogue stuff. And they demonstrated their intentions when Forza Horizon 4 got released onto GamePass. So for me a no brainer and MS have continued to deliver IMHO.

Sony on the other hand... well. Waiting to see what happens. However I'm not that fussed about playing PS1/2/3 games TBH. Want something new to play so it will be about what indie titles they bring and titles released since PS4 for me. My PS+ sub expires in July and at the moment no intention of re-subscribing. Just had no value out of it for the past 12 months. Haven't been playing online either. Thankfully though I didn't pay £50 for it. 

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now