IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

13 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

Prices and content are as follows, I imagine you just need to pay the difference to 'upgrade'

871439635_Screenshot2022-04-26at16_03_45.thumb.png.26669dd35a606edf8599b40914a41cef.png

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps-plus/

The announcement has prompted me to actually think about my gaming subscription and whether I make enough use of them.  Seeing as I mostly game on Switch and Series X (inc Game Pass) at the mo and have less interest in online multiplayer I have decided to cancel PS+.  It's been ages since one of the monthly free games has been something i'm interested in and have not already played so there seemed no point in renewing atm.

Same. 

Other thing that really winds me up about the sub services is the yearly cost been much cheaper than the sum of monthly payments.

So standard sub = £49 per year,  pay per month ((£6.99x12) £83.88 = £34.88 markup (almost the price of a year sub itself!)

Sure give a slight discount for buying for a year to encourage people to go for that but charging almost double is just plain greedy IMHO. Same with the other tiers on monthly. 

Just feel for the families that cannot afford to lay out a year for a sub for their children for example... seems like the people who struggle are punished yet again. A**eholes.

Anyway... sure first world problems and all that but I can see why other offerings would be much more appealing....

I'm hoping they will make it easy to upgrade from one tier to another, and back down again depending on what I want to play each month.

For example I intend to stay on the Essential tier all year, but then upgrade to Extra for 1 month to try out Returnal, and then the following month revert back to essential tier once I've had my fill. If they can make that a seamless transition then they will get a bit more money out of me each time a new game hits the service.

19 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Same. 

Other thing that really winds me up about the sub services is the yearly cost been much cheaper than the sum of monthly payments.

So standard sub = £49 per year,  pay per month ((£6.99x12) £83.88 = £34.88 markup (almost the price of a year sub itself!)

Sure give a slight discount for buying for a year to encourage people to go for that but charging almost double is just plain greedy IMHO. Same with the other tiers on monthly. 

Just feel for the families that cannot afford to lay out a year for a sub for their children for example... seems like the people who struggle are punished yet again. A**eholes.

Anyway... sure first world problems and all that but I can see why other offerings would be much more appealing....

I hate when any subscription service does this too, it's actively punishing people/families on tighter budgets who can swing a monthly sub but probably can't afford to pay £100 upfront. Typical fucked up capitalism where the people with the most money end up paying the least.

A “catalogue” of 400 PS4 games sounds amazing until you remember it’s gonna be 20 versions of WWF 2k and the like.

Giving away the big hitters such Spidey and Returnal would’ve been good value if everyone didn’t have it already anyway 

47 minutes ago, Malc said:

I'm hoping they will make it easy to upgrade from one tier to another, and back down again depending on what I want to play each month.

For example I intend to stay on the Essential tier all year, but then upgrade to Extra for 1 month to try out Returnal, and then the following month revert back to essential tier once I've had my fill. If they can make that a seamless transition then they will get a bit more money out of me each time a new game hits the service.

Exactly what I was just thinking. Would like to pay a month or 2 extra just for Returnal and Death Stranding.

5 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

I was thinking earlier, that for this to be a worthwhile endevour, Sony needs to make the PS1/2/3 library as exhaustive as they possibly can.

Damn near every title, including original versions of games that have subsequently been remastered/remade, needs to be available. It needs to be like the Spotify of PlayStation, where I can rely upon any previously released PS game being there should I fancy having a go of it.

I get that there's licenses etc that will get in the way, but if Sony put enough effort, manpower and money into it, they can make it happen.

So I was thrilled to see this news post. It looks like they may actually be putting in place what I'm hoping for.

Nope, it'll have the same problem as the Xbox BC program where it'd down to publishers.

https://www.eurogamer.net/sony-reportedly-now-requires-some-playstation-developers-make-time-limited-game-demos-for-plus-premium

According to a GameDeveloper report, PlayStation has updated its developer guidelines to state that a game demo lasting at least two hours will now be required for any title which costs $34 or higher (around £27).

This rule is not retroactive, so will only apply to games currently in development and not yet released. Additionally, developers will have a three-month grace period after a game launches before this trial must be made available.

That sounds like it could be great. Obviously it'll be down to how it's implemented but I thought the trials stuff would be way more limited than that. 

If I am subscribed to both PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now, what happens to my subscriptions and payment date?

If you are subscribed to both services when the new PlayStation Plus launches, you will be migrated into the PlayStation Plus Premium membership plan and you will have a new single payment date based on the longer of your two subscriptions. You will be notified via email of your new payment date and subscription fee. 

PS Plus FAQ

Not many places have Now but G2A have 3 months for £17.99, which looking at that should convert any current Plus to Premium.

Just bought one and it redeemed fine, already had Plus until 24 but may add another year as I'm guessing this might be the only chance at a cheap upgrade as Now cards won't be around for long.

11 minutes ago, JPR said:

PS Plus FAQ

Not many places have Now but G2A have 3 months for £17.99, which looking at that should convert any current Plus to Premium.

Just bought one and it redeemed fine, already had Plus until 24 but may add another year as I'm guessing this might be the only chance at a cheap upgrade as Now cards won't be around for long.

So by only adding 3 months of Now, it’ll upgrade your PS Plus to the top tier through to 2024? That sounds good like a good deal.

3 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

So by only adding 3 months of Now, it’ll upgrade your PS Plus to the top tier through to 2024? That sounds good like a good deal.

That does seem to be the case, quite prepared for something to go wrong though with my luck though.

27 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Oh shit. If that gets confirmed I’ll do that then. My ps+ is expired so I can just buy a couple years of + and then a month of now? 

(I’ll update the thread title once we know for sure)

Looks like it, well three months, not sure I'd want to risk sitting on a one month Now code until June, but it seems people can't redeem Plus codes at the moment.

So if you've got an active Plus it might be worth grabbing a Now code, otherwise wait and see what's happening with Plus codes.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

So they don’t have to launch the demo until everyone knows whether the game is another Cyberpunk anyway?

Edit - And it’s only available to the highest PS+ tier?

Yeah, this is really not a friendly move by Sony.

2 hours ago, JPR said:

Looks like it, well three months, not sure I'd want to risk sitting on a one month Now code until June, but it seems people can't redeem Plus codes at the moment.

Yup. Just bought a 12 month sub for PS Plus, tried to redeem, and getting a variety of errors (already been used/please try later). The site I bought it from have said Sony have just updated the rules so that codes can only be redeemed if you’re out of a sub (to stop people from stacking I guess?).

Sony really gotta Sony. Utter cunts.

22 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Yup. Just bought a 12 month sub from PS Plus, tried to redeem, and getting a variety of errors (already been used/please try later). The site I bought it from have said Sony have just updated the rules so that codes can only be redeemed if you’re out of a sub (to stop people from stacking I guess?).

Wow, that is a really shit move to pull and doubly so to not give any warning.

So I already have a PS Now sub, and adding another 12 months to my PS Plus will theoretically give me the Premium sub until July 2023 for 40 quid, and I get why they wouldn’t want this.

But fucking hell, it looks like they’ve just switched them off completely, despite them still being sold by retailers (including Amazon!).

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Yup. Just bought a 12 month sub for PS Plus, tried to redeem, and getting a variety of errors (already been used/please try later). The site I bought it from have said Sony have just updated the rules so that codes can only be redeemed if you’re out of a sub (to stop people from stacking I guess?).

Where did you buy it from? Spurious errors sounds more like general server/connection issues.

Sorry where did this thing come from that years of plus plus a bit of now will give you years of premium? 

Eg I have plus until July 25

I have now until April 23

I thought that would only get me premium until April 23 at which point I would drop down to plus essential? 

Edit - aw nice it's in JPRs post above. Premium until July 25 woohoo. Glad I stocked up on those plus £30 a year subs 

Interesting claims that top tier is to be beefed up with enforced time limited trials of full price releases, I'm reading this as all releases, not just Sony studio ones. That seems unrealistic that everybody will do it, but will be a really strong feature if it happens.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/26/sony-will-force-all-full-price-games-to-have-demos-on-ps-premium-16540047/

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Interesting claims that top tier is to be beefed up with enforced time limited trials of full price releases, I'm reading this as all releases, not just Sony studio ones. That seems unrealistic that everybody will do it, but will be a really strong feature if it happens.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/26/sony-will-force-all-full-price-games-to-have-demos-on-ps-premium-16540047/

Sony really do make things too complicated don't they? I really can't be doing with all this BS TBH. Just give us all a demo of a game you want to sell to us at £70! Don't lock behind paywalls. :( MS really aren't going to have to do much to compete against all this are they? In fact nothing. Sony will f**k everything up themselves at this rate*. :D 

*Suppose its only a "claim" so the story not confirmed. But sounds typical Sony.

So for me, my playstation plus runs out in 4 days it seems, so if I pick up a 12 month ps plus and apply it next month then I will have about 10 months of the top tier for that price won't I from what I have read? (My playstation Now is due for renewal in October)

Unsurprising about the stacking up of subs when it comes to Sony, it's the one thing that has always let the company down, but when they are so on top in the console war so to speak they can kind of get away with it. I don't see everyone suddenly switching to the other options out there.

Historically there hasn't been an obvious limit on PlayStation subscription stacking. You could pre-pay for Plus up to 2030 if you really wanted to.

Rather than them deciding to drastically change their policy without notice – which would carry potential legal ramifications, I imagine – it seems far more likely that something's gone wrong with the redemption system as they make backend changes.

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now