IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

2 hours ago, Ferine said:

Historically there hasn't been an obvious limit on PlayStation subscription stacking. You could pre-pay for Plus up to 2030 if you really wanted to.

Rather than them deciding to drastically change their policy without notice – which would carry potential legal ramifications, I imagine – it seems far more likely that something's gone wrong with the redemption system as they make backend changes.

Yes that sounds reasonable, also I hope this wheeze works as I have ps+ up to 2024 and have just jumped on the ps now train with a 3 month sub.

There's no reason for them to want to stop people stacking subscriptions. It's money in the bank for them. If you drop dead, or decide you don't like videogames anymore, they still have the money.

It's the reason why monthly subs are more expensive - because all the service provider is guaranteed is one month / three months of revenue. The flexibility for the user comes at a cost - pay less overall, but can't get a refund for unused subscriptions, or pay more and have the choice to cancel / re-subscribe whenever it suits.

With this news about the premium going to the later of your Plus or Now, I thought I’d see if I could find a 3-month Now code, but CDKeys, Shopto and Amazon seem to be out of stock of any Now subscriptions. On the PS webstore there’s no option to subscribe either. Have they taken away the 1-month option from the console as well?

5 hours ago, Luseth said:

So for me, my playstation plus runs out in 4 days it seems, so if I pick up a 12 month ps plus and apply it next month then I will have about 10 months of the top tier for that price won't I from what I have read? (My playstation Now is due for renewal in October)

Unsurprising about the stacking up of subs when it comes to Sony, it's the one thing that has always let the company down, but when they are so on top in the console war so to speak they can kind of get away with it. I don't see everyone suddenly switching to the other options out there.

They've already said that a PS Now subscription alone will qualify you for the top tier (Premium) here, so you have no need to pick up a PS+ subscription provided you can suffer 7 weeks without it.

When the new PlayStation Plus service launches, PlayStation Now will transition into the new PlayStation Plus offering and will no longer be available as a standalone service. PlayStation Now customers will migrate over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch

They added a separate FAQ on the PS Now page here, which reiterates it

When the new PlayStation Plus launches, your PlayStation Now membership will roll into PlayStation Plus Premium and you will retain access to the PlayStation Now benefits you have paid for including download and streaming access to a large library of new and classic games. You will also gain access to all other features and benefits of PlayStation Plus Premium, including online multiplayer access, monthly games, exclusive discounts, and more. 

In the latest update, they answered a separate question, which was "What if I have both?"

If you are subscribed to both services when the new PlayStation Plus launches, you will be migrated into the PlayStation Plus Premium membership plan and you will have a new single payment date based on the longer of your two subscriptions. You will be notified via email of your new payment date and subscription fee. 

28 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

With this news about the premium going to the later of your Plus or Now, I thought I’d see if I could find a 3-month Now code, but CDKeys, Shopto and Amazon seem to be out of stock of any Now subscriptions. On the PS webstore there’s no option to subscribe either. Have they taken away the 1-month option from the console as well?

They stopped Selling Now subs earlier in the year so most places are out of stock now, I got a three month sub from G2A which at least worked yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Interesting, but I meant more from a “giving our game away for free” kind of objection from them. 

Isn’t the jury still out on if demos are actually good for sales or not?

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

Just looked on the PS5 and can’t find a way to subscribe to Now on there any more. I guess Sony are closing all the loop-holes before the new tiers start? 

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Okay so there is currently no way to get PSNow?

They seem to have stopped selling it via their own store and, as per this thread, it's kicking up errors when redeeming codes purchased from third parties. The latter could be on purpose, or could be an error.

I bought a couple of years of PSNow last month via their digital store during the last wave of panic buying.

39 minutes ago, Giddas said:

I have never subbed to PS Now before and per this thread bought a 3 month code from g2a.com today. Applied fine.

Thanks to you I’ve just done the same, so that £17 should then see me good for Premium until my Plus runs out next year. Might be worth looking out for cheap Plus in the next month to extend that before the new system kicks in. 

Sony have stopped the ability to redeem codes for PSplus. Confirmed over at ERA. 

It's not going down well as you can imagine. Sony really are being a shower of cunts so far this gen.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Sony have stopped the ability to redeem codes for PSplus. Confirmed over at ERA. 

It's not going down well as you can imagine. Sony really are being a shower of cunts so far this gen.

Good job my ps plus is valid until Oct 2024 😁

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to Sony new subscription service combining Now and Plus - Launching June
2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Well they’re serious about the back-compat stuff it seems (maybe they won’t let people stack subs so they can pay for these new hires).

This was covered off in an article linked to a few posts back. Games Preservation and backwards compatibility aren't intrinsically linked, and the guy started on Monday. He could very well just be an archivist with a fancy job title. We have them here at work too - archiving history doesn't mean anything in relation to future plans. 

15 minutes ago, Hass said:

Any news on if this will have streaming? I'm keen to play Returnal but don't want to buy the hardware (even if it was available).

Yes.

EDIT: Oh, Returnal isn’t PS4 too? Then no. You won’t be able to stream PS5 games.

So I’ve just bought and redeemed a 3 month ps now code having skimmed this thread while away and hoping it means I’m going to get the top tier for as long as my ps+ sub has left (end of Jan ‘23) 

Should I not buy a years ps+ to extend at the moment?

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I wouldn’t bother because they’ve removed this function despite not warning anyone and allowing PS Plus subs to still be sold, leaving many people with codes they can’t use :hmm:

Not that the blocking of already-issued codes isn't shitty behaviour (and one I assume they'll be forced to compensate or reverse pretty sharpish) but I'm somewhat surprised at all the people everywhere desperately hunting round for PS Now codes and extending their PS+ stacks. The general sentiment to date seemed to be that is going to be a disappointing service - why are you all queuing up to get pre-subbed to it now, months before it even exists? 

5 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Not that the blocking of already-issued codes isn't shitty behaviour (and one I assume they'll be forced to compensate or reverse pretty sharpish) but I'm somewhat surprised at all the people everywhere desperately hunting round for PS Now codes and extending their PS+ stacks. The general sentiment to date seemed to be that is going to be a disappointing service - why are you all queuing up to get pre-subbed to it now, months before it even exists? 

Ridge racer is enough to make the service a must have for me and having been stung buying R&C and Spider-Man’s I’d rather have a go on some of the exclusives later than be part of the FOMO express and buy games I’m certain to not like - it’s worth a punt for £18 for a year and a half access to the service esp as I need the base ps+ for online etc.

Its clear Sony are being Sony and removing all the cheap access paths before it launches so getting a code before they are snapped up is worth the risk IMO.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

My PS+ runs out on May 25th, and would have cost ~£45 per year in the old world to renew. I want at least the base level of PS+ as it is of value to me, and I don't see that changing.

I've bought 2 years of PSNow subscriptions, costing £49.99 per year. They'll get upgraded to the Premium subscription on 22nd June. This has cost me £5 per year more than I was spending, and is the same price as the new sub rates for the base service.

From my perspective, I've gotten the Premium subscription for pretty much nothing.

I also took the time to actually look at PSNow for the first time since...well, it first launched. I was very pleasantly surprised by just how much is on there, how much is downloadable and how much is on there in excess of what I have already bought or gotten access to through PS+. And that's now.

Other than "day one" titles, I don't actually think it's much different to XGP in terms of breadth and quality - to the point where I was planning to get a Series X in June and now I'm not really sure why I'd bother, given I'll have more games than I can ever play already. Except Darktide.

58 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

The general sentiment to date seemed to be that is going to be a disappointing service - why are you all queuing up to get pre-subbed to it now, months before it even exists? 

Maybe general sentiment is not as negative as you think, especially amongst gamers who primarily use Playstation and/or don't have access to a MS platform for gamepass?

I also think there will be a fair number who are simply hedging their bets that even if the service isn't top notch at the start, it'll grow and improve over the course of 1-3 years.  Many made a similar leap of faith loading up 3 years gamepass in the early days and have been rewarded, so for a relatively small investment, people can hope the same happens here?

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

So I’ve just bought and redeemed a 3 month ps now code having skimmed this thread while away and hoping it means I’m going to get the top tier for as long as my ps+ sub has left (end of Jan ‘23) 

Where did you get that PSNow code?

My Now subscription runs out like a week before the new service starts, but my plus subscription has years left. I really need to extend my Now subscription to get that top teir.

To be honest, I'm thinking that the annual sub for Game Pass and this will be a waste of money.

Since Halo, I've made no use of my GP and until I'm done with Elden Ring, I've no need of it. Then I want to play Tunic. 

I think for me paying for a month of either of these services, whenever there is a specfic game to play will end up being cheaper, once the deals end.

I should really start cycling around streaming services too.

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now