IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

I'd love to stack 3 years worth, got in too late, but it is an exploit which takes the piss, so it's really up to them how they wanna manage it.

How they’ve managed it is:

- Block stacking without any prior warning, leaving people with codes they can’t use.

- Allow retailers to continue selling PS Plus codes, and not communicate it to them either, leaving customers stuck between PSN support and the retailer with no way to get a refund and no way to use a code they’ve bought.

- Wait several days before adding an FAQ, putting the blame on creating a ‘smooth process for customers’ as the reason (lol).

- Meanwhile, the codes just don’t work on the site, and tell you they’ve already been used on console(??).

Certainly is a shambles.

They could have at least announced this when they released additional info on the service a few days ago, and added a message in the front end when you redeem a code to let you know what was going on.

Makes clear they're looking at this as a revenue add, rather than purely focusing on subscriber numbers. Surprised by that personally as I'd have thought they'd prefer to be able to say they have x million on the premium list than just have a few extra quid in revenue, but I suppose I can see the sense in it. The fact that they're coming at it from a revenue direction probably means we should lower our expectations even further in terms of how it's going to compare to Game Pass though, eh.

21 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Makes clear they're looking at this as a revenue add, rather than purely focusing on subscriber numbers. Surprised by that personally as I'd have thought they'd prefer to be able to say they have x million on the premium list than just have a few extra quid in revenue, but I suppose I can see the sense in it. The fact that they're coming at it from a revenue direction probably means we should lower our expectations even further in terms of how it's going to compare to Game Pass though, eh.

To be fair, this assumes there's a bunch of people in a room saying "we absolutely must prevent stacking subscriptions and exploiting this hole" while laughing nefariously at their scheme and pre-counting dollar dollar bills y'all.

In my experience, there's a bunch of middle managers who haven't got a fucking clue, demanding things they don't understand the ramifications of, ignoring the advice of software engineers saying "Are you sure, because that's going to do Bad Things?" and someone making decisions well above their pay grade to just crack on now, what the hell.

Having done that, I suspect the past two days have been some upper management going back to those middle managers to ask WTF, and the software engineering teams pointing to email trails and decision logs with a look of "We Fucking Told You" strongly present on their faces.

AKA in a choice between stupidity and maliciousness, it's normally stupidity. 

CLARITY: This is a shit situation and I am not defending them, but it's probably not Sony being any more evil than any Evil Corp normally is. 

10 minutes ago, robotattack said:
Tekken 2

Ridge Racers 2

Mr. Driller

Worms World Party

Worms Armageddon

I really hope we don't end up with letterboxed PAL slowness...

Well, the console will default to outputting 60 Hz, so they will either have to have full-speed versions or run the PAL50 versions in some sort of hitching frame-pacing nightmare.

Surely not the latter!

With regard to code stacking, Microsoft has literally been doing this for years. Sony should know exactly how it would go and how people would try to use it. All they had to do was pay attention to what their direct competitor was doing for maybe a couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned but its no longer possible to activate or even re-activate an existing Playstation Now subscription. I cancelled mine for a month just to test how much I used it and then realised most of what my boy plays was on Now, but when I went to re-activate it ERROR MESSAGE! I assume this has been the case for a fair bit of time now and shows no sign of changing before the 'upgraded' service is live. So I, and more importantly my son, cant access Now games because that would mean Sony losing out on a few quid. Fucking disgrace!!

On 29/04/2022 at 21:52, cubik said:

I really hope we don't end up with letterboxed PAL slowness...

I reckon they could be given all the regional variations and licensing bollocks 

Can't remember what system it was, might have been PS3, I bought Street Fighter Alpha on it, clearly it wasn't going to be the Japanese version because its called Zero there, so had my fingers crossed it would be the US version. Nope, shitty PAL version, borders and everything.  Since then I've taken all this BC retro downloads stuff from those eras with a massive pinch of salt 

9 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but its no longer possible to activate or even re-activate an existing Playstation Now subscription. I cancelled mine for a month just to test how much I used it and then realised most of what my boy plays was on Now, but when I went to re-activate it ERROR MESSAGE! I assume this has been the case for a fair bit of time now and shows no sign of changing before the 'upgraded' service is live. So I, and more importantly my son, cant access Now games because that would mean Sony losing out on a few quid. Fucking disgrace!!

Never mind that, I have an active PS Now subscription and can’t play anything due to error messages ranging from ‘your subscription has ended’ to just error numbers….

45 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Never mind that, I have an active PS Now subscription and can’t play anything due to error messages ranging from ‘your subscription has ended’ to just error numbers….

anything Microsoft can do…

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I've been getting those errors too. It only happens when I try to stream something. Logging out/back in, or initiating then cancelling a PSNow download, will re-enable it and allow streaming again.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/ps-plus-premium-could-cause-dozens-of-games-to-leave-ps-now/

Has this been mentioned? I was just listening to Digital Foundry and they pointed out that MGS4 - probably the only PS3 game to pique my interest in trying the service - is to be removed. 

Madness. Why remove legitimate PS3 exclusives? The kind of games you actually can’t play anywhere else, that give the service some merit?

What would be the reasoning behind removing a PS3 exclusive game from the service, given that it’s not commercially available anywhere else? It’s just cutting off a revenue stream rather than protecting it, isn’t it?

Just now, Darwock said:

What would be the reasoning behind removing a PS3 exclusive game from the service, given that it’s not commercially available anywhere else?

Licensing. Either things expire or need to be renegotiated if they're offered on a new service. Which could be like publishing it on a different platform. Look at Xbox BC, that's the biggest reason it doesn't support all the Xbox 360 games. That a game is exclusive to PS3 is neither here nor there, it's about making it available on the new service on PS5

It’s grist to the mill for those who would paint Sony’s efforts this generation as lacking. 

If they wanted to look like they knew what they were doing in building a competitive online service they’d spend on preventing MGS4 from leaving the service

Maybe they should buy Konami?

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now