IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

I see this has changed from every game having to have a demo. Still a terrible decision to lock them behind the highest paywall though - they should just be free.

I don't believe they've ever stated 'every' game. Their original announcement did say 'select'. 

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

I see this has changed from every game having to have a demo. Still a terrible decision to lock them behind the highest paywall though - they should just be free.

They never actually said this, an article appeared from gamedeveloper.com saying that reportedly Sony were telling developers that games over a certain amount must have a 2 hour demo / trial. This has never been confirmed by Sony and Sony's own announcements have only ever stated some games would have demos / trials. I do get the frustration but does the competition have anything similar? (meaning xbox).

A forced 2 hour demo option seems like a great idea to me for any game over some price (say £15/20). Should be on all platforms.

Provided and managed by platform holders and requiring the user to be online (to enable it to be a 'simple' time locked access to the game). Not too bothered if it's a 'perk' of an online sub.

Maybe the first two hours of some games are bad. Well tough shit. You want people's money then either deal with it or produce an actual demo.

19 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

A forced 2 hour demo option seems like a great idea to me for any game over some price (say £15/20). Should be on all platforms.

Provided and managed by platform holders and requiring the user to be online (to enable it to be a 'simple' time locked access to the game). Not too bothered if it's a 'perk' of an online sub.

Maybe the first two hours of some games are bad. Well tough shit. You want people's money then either deal with it or produce an actual demo.

Terrible idea.

Some game suits demos. Some don’t. 

Demos are fine for short sharp experiences, or games that don’t evolve over time. Would uncharted work as demo? Yes almost certainly . Would DQ11? Almost certainly not.

2 hours ago, hereticboy said:

Aye, as someone who's been out of the Sony ecosystem for a few years it seems like a bit of a no brainer to go for the second tier once I eventually pick up a PS5. For a few quid on top of what I'd be paying on top of ye olde PS+ anyway, I get a decent taster of PS4/5-era Sony games, some Ubi bits and bobs that feel of a similar level to the EA Play stuff on Game Pass, and a carousel of third party stuff.

Admittedly, the third party list looks a bit sparse at the moment, but you'd expect it to expand and move about anyway. And it's not matching Game Pass in my book, but then Sony are market leaders and and all that (as well as being daft Sony again) so you wouldn't expect them to go all out in the same way MS have.

Overall it's alright, innit. Not amazing but not too bad.

This is 100pc the main purpose of the new service - the Extra tier is a no-brainer for a) anyone who hasn’t bought a PS5 yet and b) anyone who would subscribe to PS Plus anyway and doesn’t buy games day one. Those audiences alone could bring them close to Game Pass subscriber numbers. 

I think it’s been foolish to bother with even creating the highest tier as it’s not going to offer value, isn’t going to deliver the full dream PS 1/2/3/4 library people want and isn’t going to be successful. The Extra tier is going to be successful. 

12 minutes ago, PaB said:

Terrible idea.

Demos are fine for short sharp experiences, or games that don’t evolve over time. Would uncharted work as demo? Yes almost certainly . Would DQ11? Almost certainly not.

And why do we care if a game demos poorly?

In the end more information to the consumer seems okay to me. Why hide it? If your game starts slowly so demos "poorly" but has great word of mouth I think that's fine. Are there masses of gamers who have no idea what it is, would actually love the game but don't buy it on the basis of a demo? Maybe some. But not enough to make this the default approach for me.

And if they would like it if they paid for it are we saying that is a good trade off that some people will feel like they need to keep playing because they spent money whilst others will drop it and feel burned.

14 minutes ago, PaB said:

Terrible idea.

DQ11 did work as an approx 10 hour demo (Progress in plot rather than time). I do think we should be able to try games before we buy as often as that is doable. So you could also allow "Play this amount of the game for free" or "Play this limited mode for free". 

These are time limited trials aren’t they, rather than demos? If it means not too much extra work for Devs (no idea if that’s the case) and if when you like a game then all you need to do is download an unlock to continue playing then that would seem like a good idea. EA Play do this already with 10hr trials of FIFA etc.

However, hiding them behind a subscription paywall is a bad idea.

1 minute ago, scoobysi said:

These are time limited trials aren’t they, rather than demos? If it means not too much extra work for Devs (no idea if that’s the case) and if when you like a game then all you need to do is download an unlock to continue playing then that would seem like a good idea. EA Play do this already with 10hr trials of FIFA etc.

However, hiding them behind a subscription paywall is a bad idea.

Yes. I guess they are exactly that. I just know we're never really getting demos back as much as I'd like them so this is the new "demo".

Obviously better not behind a sub. But they've got to convince us they're worth it for some reason 😕

2 hours ago, Flub said:

DQ11 did work as an approx 10 hour demo (Progress in plot rather than time). I do think we should be able to try games before we buy as often as that is doable. So you could also allow "Play this amount of the game for free" or "Play this limited mode for free". 

Ah a 10 hour demo is a different story.

my issue was with the idea of a mandatory 2 hour demo for all releases. For some games that makes no sense whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, PaB said:

Ah a 10 hour demo is a different story.

my issue was with the idea of a mandatory 2 hour demo for all releases. For some games that makes no sense whatsoever. 

The DQ11 demo isn't timed actually. It's a whopping chunk of the game that in average play equals approx 10 hours but could be less or could be more. Progress also carries over to the main game. It was a great way to do it.

5 hours ago, Luseth said:

They never actually said this, an article appeared from gamedeveloper.com saying that reportedly Sony were telling developers that games over a certain amount must have a 2 hour demo / trial. This has never been confirmed by Sony and Sony's own announcements have only ever stated some games would have demos / trials. I do get the frustration but does the competition have anything similar? (meaning xbox).

Even that article said that it would be all new releases starting from a given date, not all existing games.

Tbh, if you buy a PS5 next month and sub to the top tier, you get an astounding array of PS5 AAA games that were selling for £70 (rrp) just a year or two ago. Looking at the list I must’ve have spent/wasted a good £500 on the games they are giving away. It’s gotta be an essential no-brainer for new users (whilst mugs like myself look at the list and think, yes! I haven’t played Ghosts of Tsushima DLC!).

So if I buy a 12 month PS Now subscription in the next couple of days, will this grant me the top tier of the new service for 12 months?

These codes still seem to be online for £50. Seems too good to be true...

Just for clarity, I have a current PS Plus subscription which has 6 months left on it.

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

So if I buy a 12 month PS Now subscription in the next couple of days, will this grant me the top tier of the new service for 12 months?

Just for clarity, I have a current PS Plus subscription which has 6 months left on it.

Where are these codes? :)

7 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

It's probably worth reading back in the thread to see people's current experiences of doing exactly this. It'll save you doing it and then posting about how it's not working, the Sony bastard fucks.

8 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Where are these codes? :)

The ones I've seen are on MTCGames website.

12 month PS Now Gift Card for £47.

I can add one to the basket and all looks legit. However, after what @Pelekophoros said it does sound too good to be true.

Presumably if you buy one of these gift cards Sony would have to honour it to some degree.

11 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

The ones I've seen are on MTCGames website.

12 month PS Now Gift Card for £47.

I can add one to the basket and all looks legit. However, after what @Pelekophoros said it does sound too good to be true.

Presumably if you buy one of these gift cards Sony would have to honour it to some degree.

They literally don't work right now, and Sony haven't said whether or not they will.

11 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Tbh, if you buy a PS5 next month and sub to the top tier, you get an astounding array of PS5 AAA games that were selling for £70 (rrp) just a year or two ago. Looking at the list I must’ve have spent/wasted a good £500 on the games they are giving away. It’s gotta be an essential no-brainer for new users (whilst mugs like myself look at the list and think, yes! I haven’t played Ghosts of Tsushima DLC!).

This is my thinking too.  Plenty there to like if you are new to PS5, but I have most of the bigger games sat still waiting to play (Cheers Elden Ring).

So the next unanswered question is how often and how quickly will new content be added?  If the AAA games are going to be showing up 6 to 12 months after release then this will suit me just fine going forward.

14 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

They literally don't work right now, and Sony haven't said whether or not they will.

I could see them simply not working ever again. Once the new service l launches, old codes for a non-existent service aren't going to work anymore according to their logic. 

Maybe I'm too pessimistic and current Sony aren't as PS3 era Sony as I'm assuming they are - but it's a risk buying codes at the moment.

A friend of mine of got in early before they shut it all down and has stacked Now until the end of 2027 :lol:

29 minutes ago, Waggo said:

This is my thinking too.  Plenty there to like if you are new to PS5, but I have most of the bigger games sat still waiting to play (Cheers Elden Ring).

So the next unanswered question is how often and how quickly will new content be added?  If the AAA games are going to be showing up 6 to 12 months after release then this will suit me just fine going forward.

Basically, when will GT7 and Horizon show up and can I hold out buying them until then? I reckon max two years after release. I don’t think Ratchet and Clank is on there and that’s nearly a year old.

Good service if you don’t FOMO, like old games or are patient but they probably need some daily crack to hook up day to day players, like a sports or shooty live service.

1 minute ago, mikeyl said:

Basically, when will GT7 and Horizon show up and can I hold out buying them until then? I reckon max two years after release. I don’t think Ratchet and Clank is on there and that’s nearly a year old.

Good service if you don’t FOMO, like old games or are patient but they probably need some daily crack to hook up day to day players, like a sports or shooty live service.

This is doubly the problem if you dont yet have a  PS5 but realise you have to get one soon if you want PSVR2.

Only stock I can find is Game which is a bundle with Horizon and a controller (£560 gulp but I guess you get an extra controller). I'm not 100% sold on Horizon (and its a download code!) and especially not if it is going to be on this new service soon!

Last I read redeeming PlayStation Now codes does work, it's the stacking of Plus that Sony have disabled. So unless you already have several years of Plus pre-paid for, you won't be able to make the most of the conversion.

The issue with Now is one of supply: codes were dwindling well before the announcement of the new service, so when there was a rush on them they sold out in most places and are now going for way more than before; last year I could reliably source a year of Now for £30.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I could see them simply not working ever again. Once the new service l launches, old codes for a non-existent service aren't going to work anymore according to their logic. 

Maybe I'm too pessimistic and current Sony aren't as PS3 era Sony as I'm assuming they are - but it's a risk buying codes at the moment.

A friend of mine of got in early before they shut it all down and has stacked Now until the end of 2027 :lol:

Didn't they release a table a few weeks ago to show exactly how old service codes will convert to new service.

My memory is that...

Existing time (including any stacking after the announcement before they shut that down) converts time to time. So 1 month is 1 month. 6 months is 6 months. Etc.

New time (i.e. old codes added in the future) will convert money to time. So you have to take the old value of the card and essentially that's funds towards the new service. So maybe 6 months before is now 4 months worth because it's more expensive.

I messaged MTCGames and they confirmed the codes will be honoured, but not until the service launches in June.

Then codes will be converted. So I believe as I am a PS plus member (with 6 months left) my 12 month PS Now code, which is £47, will convert to 183 days of PlayStation Plus Premium, which is worth about £50.

Essentially I get no added value as it is worth pretty much what I pay for it.

I'd be as well upgrading to PS Plus Premium, which I believe is £99, and not have the worry or hassle of getting the code.

Conversion:

12 month PS Now voucher

Non-Subscriber: Converted to 183 Days of PlayStation Plus Premium

Essential: Converted to 365 Days of PlayStation Plus Essential

Extra: Converted to 219 Days of PlayStation Plus Extra

Premium: Converted to 183 Days of PlayStation Plus Premium

Best Free PS5 Games To Play In 2022

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now