IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

13 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Obvious Xbox fanboyism. A SNES Mini can run it just as well. 😉

Good point. Steam Deck too. Hell, the phone I'm typing on right now can run them better than the PS5.

I liked it when over at the Xbox side they went to the trouble of explaining why they couldn't add anymore games to their BC programme. I'm sad I never got my Tenchu or Riddick, but at least we know. I'd like it if the PlayStation division would at least clarify if there's licensing issues preventing them from simply using the NTSC versions for everyone*. Give us something.

Also, I understand the initial list isn't finalized and if they're all pal then this point is moot anyway but - how are you seriously considering launching your PS Classics lineup without including *a* Ridge Racer??? I get that you want to spread out your big hitters a bit, but I'd argue you also have to make a good first impression. RR is synonymous with PlayStation history imo.

Rant over, I'll be over here installing Tenchu Stealth Assassins on every device I have except the PS5 😢

*Aren't all OG and 360 BC games on Xbox the NTSC versions? I remember reading that somewhere

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Good point. Steam Deck too. Hell, the phone I'm typing on right now can run them better than the PS5.

I liked it when over at the Xbox side they went to the trouble of explaining why they couldn't add anymore games to their BC programme. I'm sad I never got my Tenchu or Riddick, but at least we know. I'd like it if the PlayStation division would at least clarify if there's licensing issues preventing them from simply using the NTSC versions for everyone. Something.

Also, I understand the initial list isn't finalized and if they're all pal then this point is moot anyway but - how are you seriously considering launching your PS Classics lineup without including *a* Ridge Racer??? I get that you want to spread out your big hitters a bit, but I'd argue you also have to make a good first impression. RR is synonymous with PlayStation history.

Rant over, I'll be over installing Tenchu Stealth Assassin's on every device I have except the PS5 😢

You're looking at a list from a specific territory that appears to be very cut down (even just based on numbers). I believe Malaysia got RR2 off of PSP.

We'll find out what we are getting when we get it, I guess. 

Yeah, it could still go either way. And even if they fumble at first, there's also of course the possibility that they'll course correct based on the feedback.

Remember the PlayStation mini and how they completely dropped the ball on that one? Using PAL roms reminds me of that. The difference being that they're trying to sell everyone a subscription service now, and the highest most expensive tier is sold to us as dat retro goodness. I figure that they'd be incentivized to do it right this time around because they're in it for the long haul. 

We shall see.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I liked it when over at the Xbox side they went to the trouble of explaining why they couldn't add anymore games to their BC programme. I'm sad I never got my Tenchu or Riddick, but at least we know. I'd like it if the PlayStation division would at least clarify if there's licensing issues preventing them from simply using the NTSC versions for everyone*. Give us something.

Also, I understand the initial list isn't finalized and if they're all pal then this point is moot anyway but - how are you seriously considering launching your PS Classics lineup without including *a* Ridge Racer??? I get that you want to spread out your big hitters a bit, but I'd argue you also have to make a good first impression. RR is synonymous with PlayStation history imo.

Rant over, I'll be over here installing Tenchu Stealth Assassins on every device I have except the PS5 😢

*Aren't all OG and 360 BC games on Xbox the NTSC versions? I remember reading that somewhere

TBH Ridge Racers 2 is a good stop gap, but I do agree. This should have Ridge Racer, wipEout, Battle Arena Toshinden, and Destruction Derby for maximum nostalgics.

I do think this is indicative of how Sony perceives its legacy: as a done fact and something to monetize as an extra rather than celebrate. Why else put these games in the highest PS Plus tier?

Truly, that we got Astro's Playroom is such a lucky moonshot. The way it downright enjoys PlayStation's legacy right down to bloody Demo1 seems diametrically opposed to how Sony currently runs the business.

7 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

TBH Ridge Racers 2 is a good stop gap, but I do agree. This should have Ridge Racer, wipEout, Battle Arena Toshinden, and Destruction Derby for maximum nostalgics.

I do think this is indicative of how Sony perceives its legacy: as a done fact and something to monetize as an extra rather than celebrate. Why else put these games in the highest PS Plus tier?

Truly, that we got Astro's Playroom is such a lucky moonshot. The way it downright enjoys PlayStation's legacy right down to bloody Demo1 seems diametrically opposed to how Sony currently runs the business.

Astro's Playroon was a fantastic experience. I figure that was because the devs themselves ran with the concept and included all of that. As someone who's been enjoying PlayStation since the start, I loved seeing all those references. That's how you do nostalgia and celebrate your own past.

This subscription BC is probably dictated/influenced more by the business people over there, looking at numbers without factoring in any respect towards their own legacy - or even what customers who would buy into that high tier for the retro games would like to see. "Here's your old rom dump, that's what you wanted right? Enjoy your old shit" - Jim Ryan, CEO and cat lover

I agree completely with your preferred lineup. Of course save the big hitters for later, and wipEout is maybe/probably a licensing hell hole, but start with the actual beginning for maximum nostalgia appeal. Make it something special. They're competing with every device out there that can run a rom, so they need something to make themselves stand out. Instead, using PAL roms makes them look *worse* than any other device out there.

GIve me Tenchu and all is forgiven though :blush:

Proof again after the recent N64 debacle that if you really care about these old games and don't have the originals then 'piracy' is always the answer.

When I can buy ROMs that I can use on my Mister or in my EverDrives then that's when I'll start paying for them.

It was mentioned on a recent episode of Retronauts that the reason Sony probably used PAL versions for the PSOne mini was because PAL versions were usually the last commercial build. So more bugs fixed and more language options.

ffs though Sony. At the very least give people an option what version to run like Konami and Capcom have done with some of their emulated collections.

4 hours ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Proof again after the recent N64 debacle that if you really care about these old games and don't have the originals then 'piracy' is always the answer.

When I can buy ROMs that I can use on my Mister or in my EverDrives then that's when I'll start paying for them.

Yeah, I guess. :D I've emulated tons of stuff in the past, but give me a chance to support the games (no, giving thousands to an eBay rando doesn't count) and I'll pay up. Way back in the 00s I got ripped into because I was talking about my experience emulating Metal Slug X - the usual "stealing games", "just buy the AES cart" remarks - but since then, more affordable options became available: I picked up MS Anthology for home console and double-dipped on handheld, and I picked up various XBLA releases of the individual games. And outside of that series I've picked up NiGHTS on XBLA, Ikaruga on XBLA, Garou on PSN, various Street Fighter collections and re-releases, and so on. So I'm exactly the kind of sucker that would be pretty excited about Sony reselling old games, but this service sounds like it could be better.

E: also I was totally into the idea of the PS Classic console when it was announced, but the library/use of PAL games/digital-only controller was offputting.

23 minutes ago, layten said:

Fucking hell. Even Nintendo NINTENDO give you the choice of PAL and NTSC N64 games.

Yeah and arguably Nintendo’s back catalogue stands up better today than a lot of PS1 stuff. 

Hopefully they will be criticised for this abs at least offer NTSC versions, doubtful though. 

What else do you get in the top tier? 

Meanwhile over at the other side of the tracks, they're allowing people to use their existing discs, and games are getting free fps boosts, and you can convert your remaining gold sub into the equivalent length of game pass.

I know Sony probably don't care about what Micro does since they're so far ahead, but shit - it would become them if they'd pretend to care a tiny little bit.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Meanwhile over at the other side of the tracks, they're allowing people to use their existing discs, and games are getting free fps boosts, and you can convert your remaining gold sub into the equivalent length of game pass.

I know Sony probably don't care about what Micro does since they're so far ahead, but shit - it would become them if they'd pretend to care a tiny little bit.

They appear a bit like they’re at an awkward crossroads don’t they, worse stock issues than MS, a shitty backwards compatibility solution for PS3 games, and an awfully convoluted tier system for their overly expensive subscription. They might be ahead now but for how long? 

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

They appear a bit like they’re at an awkward crossroads don’t they, worse stock issues than MS, a shitty backwards compatibility solution for PS3 games, and an awfully convoluted tier system for their overly expensive subscription. They might be ahead now but for how long? 

I don't think it'll change their fortunes overnight, but it is slowly but surely turning the solid ground beneath their feet into quicksand. It won't keep people from using their PS5 currently, but it will influence their decision about whatever comes after that. I'm guessing Sony is really banking on its players wanting to keep access to whatever library they have access to, which kind of explains why the PS Plus tiers are what they are.

I disabled auto-renew on my sub and the current one terms out on the 29th May. Every day when I log in I get a nice pop up asking me to renew now. I bought a code from Shopto, tried it and it was rejected because apparently I can buy directly from Sony just now but not a third party. 

That's shite.

4 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I don't think it'll change their fortunes overnight, but it is slowly but surely turning the solid ground beneath their feet into quicksand. It won't keep people from using their PS5 currently, but it will influence their decision about whatever comes after that. I'm guessing Sony is really banking on its players wanting to keep access to whatever library they have access to, which kind of explains why the PS Plus tiers are what they are.

I'm not sure about the library thing. Using our own forum as anecdotal evidence, many jumped ship (including me) to PS4 and/or PC after loving the 360 long time. Admittedly, digital libraries are now a bigger thing than back then, but my gut suspects that less fanatical people than us have way less problems with leaving their libraries behind because they're mostly interested in the newest latest greatest. And with subscription service models becoming more popular it would become simply a matter of replacing one sub with another.

I do think Sony has strong solid ground for the time being with their incredible first-party output. I don't see Microsoft catching up to that anytime soon - for now the Xbox first-party studios have put out more titles on PS5 than on Xbox. And every project they've announced feels decades away 

But Xbox are really nailing every other aspect. By fumbling their Game Pass alternative, Sony could be inadvertently putting more attention on Game Pass and on how good game pass is and how much better their BC solution is. Nevermind that you can simply run those PS1 and 2 roms on a Xbox Series (which a lot more people will find out about because of all the articles/reports/social media messages pointing this out while criticizing Sony's PS1 BC). Sony messing this up is free advertising for Game Pass, really.

But it's early days yet they could still turn it around based on feedback.