IGNORED

PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-support-email-reportedly-confirms-that-players-have-to-pay-back-ps-plus-discounts-to-upgrade/?fbclid=IwAR12HtrDNadNIBZPVisY2obX-s473tqdWQb0fOh6KojnNVfuj6YPUdNnt28

The email from PlayStation’s Hong Kong support, which appeared on ResetEra (translated by VGC), reads:

“Thank you for contacting PlayStation Support and checking the price of your PlayStation Plus membership subscription.

“Since you purchased PlayStation Plus at a discounted price at the time of membership, there are two PlayStation Plus memberships that cannot enjoy other discounts:

“1) PlayStation Plus membership bought with a discount.

“2) PlayStation Plus membership redeemed with redemption code.

“Therefore, if you need to upgrade to Level 2 or 3 Premium membership, you will need to make up the difference between the previous discounted price and the normal price.

“For example, a PlayStation Plus membership is HK$308 for one year and the discounted price is HK$187.6. The difference is $120.4, divided by the number of months remaining.

“Please rest assured that the system will automatically calculate the difference that needs to be repaid if you need to upgrade. Of course, you can also upgrade or downgrade your membership according to your preference.”

“If you do not upgrade, your current PlayStation Plus membership will not be affected. Please be assured that game offers, free monthly game subscriptions and access to 100G of online storage will remain unchanged.”

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps-subs-bought-on-sale-will-be-charged-higher-upgrade-fees-to-make-up-for-discounts-stacked-subs-must-pay-the-upgrade-fee-for-the-entire-duration.586826/page-23#post-87121037

^Era thread

If that doesn't get overturned and they extend that thinking elsewhere, it strikes me as particularly egregious. I bought my membership (I have base PS Plus stacked for a few years at least) for whatever they were selling it for, presumably nearly always at a discount - hence the stacking - and there's never been a suggestion that they were somehow tracking what prices I was buying it for and assigning those memberships a lower value. What a cheap, grubby way of operating.

2 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Yeah, that's shocking. Also, how have they attributed value to a redemption code? They're bought in units of time for an amount of money.

They’re not, it’s only for subs discounted through Sony themselves.

Absolutely astounding if true.  What are they going to do next to punish people that bought subs directly from Sony at discounted prices that Sony themselves chose to offer?  (I assume if you bought via CD Keys etc then they can have no way of knowing what you paid)

On that line, may I suggest that before a customer can buy the DLC for a game a check is made that they did not buy said game at a discount and if they did then then they should first be charged the difference before being allowed to buy the DLC.

Actually, I should patent that, am sure a good chunk of the tech sector would love such BS 😆

9 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

Looks like Dino Crisis is going to be included. That's pretty high on my to-play list, for sure.

How’s that going to work then?

"Pay$tation - This is for the Payer$$$" 😂

its like they looked at game pass, then thought how can we do something similar, but at the same time so shit that people dont use it so we can go" look see, people dont want that, they WANT to spend £70 on a game...honest guv!"

I don't think it's hard to believe that it was a technical oversight, as if you buy an officially discounted year of Plus it's listed differently in your subscriptions; mine is “PlayStation Plus: 12 Month Membership - 25% Off”.

I'm guessing the sliding scale upgrade cost was set to the remaining percentage of the original price paid, so if you had 9 months of 12 left you'd essentially be refunded for 75% of the cost listed in your purchase history as opposed to the standard list price of a year of Plus. That approach might initially seem sensible if you're making a one-size-fits-all solution for the various regional stores and currencies.

6 minutes ago, SMD said:

Except they made that change, before it just said Playstation Plus Membership. It's ridiculous it's even a thing.

It's not a recent change, officially discounted subscriptions have been listed differently for years. I've a receipt from 2018 listed the same way.

Also the FAQs in Asia and the responses from support both also corresponded with how it was actually functioning.  If it was a "technical oversight" it made it all the way through testing and documentation and into service support procedures too.

It also fits in with the pattern of some of their recent moves like blocking the redemption of codes without first asking third parties to stop selling them or providing meaningful error messages to customers trying to redeem them.  With that one too they ridiculously explained it a few days later as "helping making the transition to the new service easier" or some such bollocks.

4 minutes ago, Ferine said:

It's not a recent change, officially discounted subscriptions have been listed differently for years. I've a receipt from 2018 listed the same way.

Doesn't really matter when they started tracking it. If you get a discount on buying a thing, you own that thing. You're a Smart Shopper. They shouldn't be punishing you for being a Savvy Sausage at a later date.

It was a technical oversight in that someone somewhere specifically said "we're going to do this" and someone somewhere else said "that means this will happen, and it'll cause a shit storm" and they signed it off without checking with anyone else.

The devs likely knew exactly what it would do, and so did the dev managers. Possibly even the people who 'own' the service. They just didn't check with any other sensibles, or those sensibles didn't pay attention in the sign off meetings. 

That is 100% a tale as old as time. 

Isn't this precisely how the big console manufacturers work. Roll out an egrigious change in a small way or mention it in a press conference etc. gauge how much backlash they get. If the backlash creates too much bad feeling then claim it was a misunderstanding or technical error - if it is super bad then say it was a mistake and humbly apologise - if it gets grumbles but accepted then roll it out.

Same with MS and the 2nd hand game thing on Xbox One conferences.

These companies obviously want to grind every penny out of their audience as possible but they dont want to kill the golden egg laying goose so they sometimes try out something really shitty and then just mumble and excuse and roll it back when they are called on it.

3 hours ago, Clipper said:

Isn't this precisely how the big console manufacturers work. Roll out an egrigious change in a small way or mention it in a press conference etc. gauge how much backlash they get. If the backlash creates too much bad feeling then claim it was a misunderstanding or technical error - if it is super bad then say it was a mistake and humbly apologise - if it gets grumbles but accepted then roll it out.

Same with MS and the 2nd hand game thing on Xbox One conferences.

These companies obviously want to grind every penny out of their audience as possible but they dont want to kill the golden egg laying goose so they sometimes try out something really shitty and then just mumble and excuse and roll it back when they are called on it.

It's a senior manager thing. Outrageous demands, little care for the details, don't give a fuck about the customers until it threatens their job.

Just watched it myself and I have to say if it doesn't improve there's no way I'm putting any money Sony's way. It's just terrible when compared to Xbox BC.

Scanlines for PSP games, 1:1 and square pixels modes are both squashed, PS2 games are just the same PS2 classics, etc.

Hey apart from running PS2 games through retroarch on Xbox, I just read there's now also a standalone PCSX2 emulator for Xbox. And it's free?

FFS Sony. They can't even compete with a handful of homebrew hobbyists making emulators in their spare time.

9 hours ago, Hitcher said:

PS2 games are just the same PS2 classics, etc.

Fair enough to complain about the other stuff, and I certainly won’t be subscribing to the service (never was going to, all I want is online access) but what’s the problem with the above?

The PS2 classics were pretty perfect. Are we wanting them to be something different from the original PS2 games?