IGNORED

Sony new subscription service combining Now and Plus? (Schreier report)

Sarlaccfood

As it’s already saying it won't have day one Sony games it sounds bit pointless if you already have GamePass as I imagine that most of the third-party stuff on there will be the same stuff that MS already gets as well with the odd exception.

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

As it’s already saying it won't have day one Sony games it sounds bit pointless if you already have GamePass as I imagine that most of the third-party stuff on there will be the same stuff that MS already gets as well with the odd exception.

I think this is to stop people getting gamepass rather than aimed at people that already have it. 

Be curious to see whether

Highest tier could include PS1/PS2/PSP games

a) pans out at all (given the heavy lifting that 'could' is doing there)

b) is aiming for an Xbox Backward Compatibility style heavily tweaked perfect-or-enhanced port approach; a Nintendo Online style dump-it-in-an-emulator-and-hope-for-the-best approach; or a Playstation Now-style stream-from-original-hardware approach. The fact they're seemingly intent on locking the functionality behind a subscription paywall (and aren't currently trying to push out of last place) makes me expect one of the latter.

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Be curious to see whether

a) pans out at all (given the heavy lifting that 'could' is doing there)

b) is aiming for an Xbox Backward Compatibility style heavily tweaked perfect-or-enhanced port approach; a Nintendo Online style dump-it-in-an-emulator-and-hope-for-the-best approach; or a Playstation Now-style stream-from-original-hardware approach. The fact they're seemingly intent on locking the functionality behind a subscription paywall (and aren't currently trying to push out of last place) makes me expect one of the latter.

Yeah let’s be honest Sony take more queues from Nintendo than MS nowadays. 

Playing Halo and Forza made it clear that Sony simply can’t put their games on a subscription service day one. Microsoft has more money than god and both those flagships are still stuffed full of monetisation and GAAS stuff.

i can’t see how a Last of Us 2 that’s a straight single player game with no additional income flow and enormous production values can be profitable if someone can just play it for the tenner cost of a month’s sub.

nah don't want a gamepass for playstation.

Would be interested in them combining the two current services though.

Not sure it will happen though because what we all forget is that PS Now isn't available everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Flanders said:

i can’t see how a Last of Us 2 that’s a straight single player game with no additional income flow and enormous production values can be profitable if someone can just play it for the tenner cost of a month’s sub.

it's a brand builder.

38 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Playing Halo and Forza made it clear that Sony simply can’t put their games on a subscription service day one. Microsoft has more money than god and both those flagships are still stuffed full of monetisation and GAAS stuff.

Halo Infinite multiplayer is F2P and nothing to do with GamePass. And by no reasonable estimate is Forza "stuffed full of monetisation". Please never play a phone game your head would explode.

It will be interesting to see what Sony come up with, as I am fairly certain they are not going to want to be brandished with offering the poor mans Game Pass.  

So even if it turns out to be a bit smoke and mirrors, there is going to have to be something different there to give it the WOW factor.

Either way more competition is great news for us the consumer.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Yep, they're starting from the premise of missing the point entirely.

I'm hoping to God that this is going to turn out to be what I've always hoped for,  a subscription service that grants you access to 99% of titles for PS1-3, and most of PS4, and eventually PS5.

Also, I'll be interested to see how they resolve this for those of us who have multiple years of subscription stacked for both PSPlus and PSNow.

6 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah let’s be honest Sony take more queues from Nintendo than MS nowadays. 

Dude, 'cues', as in the theatre. But kudos - or maybe queuedos- for getting your wrong word spelled right.

3 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, professional-level snooker is typically played in theatres, so there's still some room for confusion...

I did think that for a moment, but explaining that would have really confirmed me as a total pedant.

Oh, shit, what a giveaway.

I think there’s a real opportunity for Sony here, but it’s a fine line they need to tread.

Contrary to what some people think, it’s only the last few weeks with Forza and Halo that the “Play it day 1 at no extra cost” has been the main selling point of Gamepass. Before that, the bookclub feeling of everyone giving an interesting looking indie a go at the same time, or the buzz of seeing a spruced-up old game they haven’t played since they were childless and stoned is what has been the best part of having an Xbox and what’s generated a shit-tonne of goodwill. 

They don’t actually need to give away their new games day one, but they need to be really canny about what they do include each month. Think of how great it would be if we had monthly updates of stuff like Syphon Filter, Parasite Eve and God Hand dropping on the service every few weeks.

But looking at the Sony that released the Playstation mini, are charging £70 a game and think a demo of Godfall is worthy of a PS+ slot? It’s hard not to be cynical. If they don’t get it right it’s just going to be a load of bad publicity every month for them.

If it had the exclusives day one then amazing. 

But because it doesn't then it's the same as what they have now. 

So the only promising thing about this is getting older titles from PS1/2 etc. But they will be streaming. Like what they have now. 

Am I missing something here?

I can’t see them giving their exclusives away day one, it’s just not in their interests right now. In the future who knows, but right now they are still in the enviable position of being able to sell those at full whack, in great numbers, and do well from PS Plus too.

This seems to me to be a clever way of getting more PS Now subscribers from those who want the best subscription but don’t really want two or three separate ones on the same system. 

I’m interested if there’s a saving or a cheap way of converting the current PS Plus sub into a higher tier. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

If it had the exclusives day one then amazing. 

But because it doesn't then it's the same as what they have now. 

So the only promising thing about this is getting older titles from PS1/2 etc. But they will be streaming. Like what they have now. 

Am I missing something here?

Well first of all they actually don’t have much in the way of PS1/2 titles on there, but aside from that, PSNow is Gamepass on a bad day: a load of 7/10s or stuff that’s already in the sale.

But if they brought the kind of curation and indie support gamepass has (and actually, the kind of stuff they already seem pretty invested in like JETT, Stray, and Solar Ash) then it would be a huge upgrade.