IGNORED

Chorus. Multiplatform story based space shooter

Flub

I've been playing this for about a week (review copy gloating ahoy!) and it's really great fun. Just flying about doing side quests for people is a proper time sink. Looks gorgeous and handles well. Only downside is the difficulty is a little unbalanced (had it bump it down to easy). But other than that.....it's the surprise of the year!

2 minutes ago, Gambit said:

I've been playing this for about a week (review copy gloating ahoy!) and it's really great fun. Just flying about doing side quests for people is a proper time sink. Looks gorgeous and handles well. Only downside is the difficulty is a little unbalanced (had it bump it down to easy). But other than that.....it's the surprise of the year!

Look forward to your full opinion. Where can we see that?

I've also played it for review. It's all a bit uneven in terms of difficulty and pacing, and the story takes itself far too seriously for what it is. But the actual combat is very good and only gets better the more special powers you unlock.

It's surprising we haven't really had anything like it before, or not for years anyway.

16 hours ago, revlob said:

I've not seen or heard any mention of it before this thread. It does look good, and there's hardly an overabundance of space combat games at the moment. There is a demo, I might have to give it a go.

Where is this demo you speak of? I love a good / mediocre / largely hated space shooter so well up for this. Project Sylpheed is one of my all time favourites and videos for this reminded me very much of that. 

I've played for a few hours now and I like it but with one caveat so far. The controls while initially feel weird do become natural in time. What hasn't become natural for me is the drifting mechanic. It's awful, unintuitive and needs you to be very accurate on the controls (Especially since they use it for some fucking stupid puzzles). If anything is going to eventually kill the game for me is how much they come to rely on those puzzles.

2 hours ago, Flub said:

I've played for a few hours now and I like it but with one caveat so far. The controls while initially feel weird do become natural in time. What hasn't become natural for me is the drifting mechanic. It's awful, unintuitive and needs you to be very accurate on the controls (Especially since they use it for some fucking stupid puzzles). If anything is going to eventually kill the game for me is how much they come to rely on those puzzles.

I just think it's poorly explained to begin with, and those initial tutorial puzzles are confusing. You'll be using it in combat intuitively in no time, to do quick U-turns and track enemies. And even the few times it brought those puzzles back, they didn't really trouble me again.

Confusing explanations are a theme throughout, though.

Oh yeah totally. In combat it's fine. It's just the parts where it intros a new feature (And it repeats this motif across the game) it tends to do it in tight spaces and require some pretty exact flying. Something you don't have to do outside those moments. I was worried when it introduced drifting that I'd be doing those shit puzzles on the reg. Thankfully it limits those sort of set piece puzzle to a tiny fraction of the game.

I think I'm approaching finished in the next few hours. I seem to be getting ready for a final battle and the area maps have been having less and less to do over time. I've barely spent any money the entire game.

Some things I think don't work that well.

1. Ship mods. There are three slots and almost none of the mods feel like they do anything significant. There are also so many variants doing minor things that it's impossible to choose what to use (I ended up with two that focus on the rites). The rest seemed worthless.

2. Sometimes the game expects you to pickup what you need to do, get to the position you need to do it in and do it in literally seconds before it wipes you out. In 3d space you often get turned around and end up in a sub optimal position for this.

3. There's a big boss fight part way through the game that is pretty but awful. Good job it had excellent checkpointing. It's also very guilty of 2. The final phase of that boss fight is just ridiculous. 

4. Don't expect me to race along a very very tight corridor with no margin for error at super high speed but not let me see what's coming properly. The game is guilty of this a couple of times so far and it's very frustrating. See 3. and other places.

Things that work

Combat. Very fun. Especially once you start layering on the various powers.

Atmosphere. I find the areas mostly to be very well done graphically. A nice style and it feels great to race around them. Two areas I found a little bit dull. One because it's essentially a massive and rather dull space station and the other because it's not very good rendered ice asteroids.

Story. Yeah. It's fine. The game is essentially a fantasy RPG but you're in a space ship.

Ok fuck this stupid game. I'm done. I have to use my star rite to get between two places quickly to destroy these things. "Opposite ones" and it just doesn't fucking work and doesn't even let me know if I'm using the right things.

Hate the game. Wish I could refund. It'd be fine if it didn't put in all these stupid fucking agility tests.

Admittedly I'm only an hour or so into this but absolutely loving it so far. I'm seeking out my 'old friend' and this kind of melodrama, especially in Sci-Fi always works with me so cant wait to get properly into it. I did spend a stupid amount of time flying around the first hub area to test out just how capable the ship and more importantly the controls are so by the time things kicked off a bit I was in good shape. 

I have no doubt there will be sections where I want to throw the pad though the TV but that's a given for games like this and hope the positives will see me through what I need to do. Actually, coming off the back of the fantastic Ghostrunner I'm better equipped than most for the agility / how the actual fuck am I meant to do this moments :) It also looks and sounds incredible (PS5) with an excellent soundtrack that I have already cranked up a bit as felt it was more subdued than it deserved. 

"All hail the Great Prophet. Be in Chorus"

"Be. In. Hell!"

I fucking love this game :lol: its gloriously ridiculous in how serious it takes itself but the relationship between Nara and Forsa is reminding me of Titanfall 2 with BT and its making me very happy.

Fuck it. I'll keep this thread running on my own because even with all the incredible titles released this year Chorus is easily in my top 5. Not because it is almost perfect or has some ground breaking approach to the space sim genre but because for me every little nuance to the story or the controls is as good as I've ever seen in a space shooter and I've played most of them. I'm surprised nobody has talked about the relationship between Nara and Forsa because it's just brilliant, especially as you get deeper into the past of both characters. Forsa is a like cross between BT from Titanfall and Cortana from Halo with the near constant dialogue and in-action chatter between Nara and Forsa adding a great layer to things. I appreciate I'm maybe taking a little too much from what is essentially a fairly basic story but coupled with the fantastic controls and gameplay Chorus is really doing something great.

I've come across most of the issues folk have mentioned above now and while some moments can be quite overwhelming I've never found myself unable to either work out what needs done or use the abilities to deal with a situation. My main problem is energy / rite management (which I think was mentioned above also) and that is down to my approach rather than the game not being fair.

When it all comes together and you can use all the controls, weapons and abilities in 'chorus' :lol: it really is as good an experience as I have ever had from a game of this type and I really hope, like Returnal seems to be for Housemarque, this is the start of something bigger for the guys that developed it.

Only a single page devoted to this awesome game... shame on you Rllmuk. 

These past few months have delivered surprise release after surprise release for me.. and Chorus is up there as one of my best this year. I could rave on about pretty much every aspect of the game but the standout factor by a mile is the combat controls... It's just so well implemented, you feel perfectly intune with the craft and it makes every combat encounter a genuine joy. If you've had even a passing interest in the likes of Everspace or Star Wars Squadrons then this is an absolutely essential purchase.

It's also a bloody good looking game:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've just beaten this part way through the game boss that has been complained about and I was actually a little disappointed at how easily it fell. The fact I was pulling off maneuvers automatically based on twitch reactions to on screen prompts played a huge part in it but fuck me that was incredible.

Mid-boss spoiler.

Spoiler

Ok, so I understand the issue with the high speed flying through the arms... but each one is very short and you get a checkpoint immediately before each one so amazed this seems to be such an issue for people. Outside of that, yes its an absolute cluster fuck of enemies, invisible beam turrets, mines and sensor fields but TBH I was starting to find the combat rather easy until this stepped things up considerably. I just hope there the challenge and scale doesn't now drop back down for whatever is still to come.

I dont want this game to end, but I cant stop playing it :( Forsa is up there with BT for me in terms of in-game AI companions and I expect I have yet to see the best of him.

1 hour ago, MardiganX said:

I've just beaten this part way through the game boss that has been complained about and I was actually a little disappointed at how easily it fell. The fact I was pulling off maneuvers automatically based on twitch reactions to on screen prompts played a huge part in it but fuck me that was incredible.

Mid-boss spoiler.

Hide contents

Ok, so I understand the issue with the high speed flying through the arms... but each one is very short and you get a checkpoint immediately before each one so amazed this seems to be such an issue for people. Outside of that, yes its an absolute cluster fuck of enemies, invisible beam turrets, mines and sensor fields but TBH I was starting to find the combat rather easy until this stepped things up considerably. I just hope there the challenge and scale doesn't now drop back down for whatever is still to come.

I dont want this game to end, but I cant stop playing it :( Forsa is up there with BT for me in terms of in-game AI companions and I expect I have yet to see the best of him.

Basically it

Spoiler

relies on having tons of checkpoints to work. The bits where you have to fly into the arms need a checkpoint because if you aren't very close to the entrance when it opens, you can't make it in time. It has to position you right in front of them. Then it's difficult to see what going on once you're inside. I also just found the whole thing really confusing in terms of keeping track where I was in relation to it - the screen can end up full with a mass of its body and you can't get any distance from it.

Still, it was only the second worst bit in the game for me.

I do like it overall though. I even carried on doing side quests for a while after reaching the end, because the outer space stuff is generally very good.