IGNORED

Chorus. Multiplatform story based space shooter

Flub

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

@BadgerFarmer15.30- the player just waits and the chase stops. Not sure if my game is bugged as when I get there I can’t proceed and eventually it catches up and kills me. Odd and annoying!

Hard to tell from that, but do they use the teleport ability to skip through a barrier?

Edit: I think that's it. The thing stops following as soon as you warp through. 

Yeah I got stuck with that a few times before I figured its the Rite of the Hunt you need to use. Its a terribly sign posted part of what is otherwise a straight forward tight space speed run, especially when by that point its been quite a while since that rite was referred to.

Going into what seems to be the final section on this and I dont want it to end. There is no denying there are a couple of very 'tricky' sections but the general theme is epic space opera action mayhem with a quite personal story and awesome AI companion in Forsa. DLC, sequels, spin-off movie or TV show, I want it all :)

I have to caveat my deep, DEEEP love for this game with the fact I absolutely adore space shooters and always have. I'm also very forgiving with games that have unique controls but then also struggle with some of the applications of them. However and I don't say this lightly, had it not been for Returnal then Chorus may well be my GOTY. 

I've just finished the main campaign, completing ALL the side missions as I progressed and it was a fucking glorious experience. Visually its absolutely beautiful and the performance mode running at a constantly smooth 60 FPS (I think) is as good as any game on the PS5 to date. The controls are a lot to get to grips with but the game does a good job of introducing them, albeit with a few closed / obstacle type sections that can be frustrating. But when you click with the gameplay its brilliant. At times it felt like how it was when I was playing Returnal, where a lot of what I was doing was automatic so its less like a traditional space shooter and more like an action game. I'm in danger of embarrassing myself with the gushing praise so I will pull it in for now :) 

For £35 I'm not sure you could do better for your money going into Christmas so if you have even a fleeting interest in space shooters then please play Chorus. The story and script takes itself incredibly serious, which may irritate some people but I was all in and loved every little moment of it, especially the ending. Please FFS let this be the start of something special in a genre of games that are tragically underrated and overlooked.

"AWAKE... we are!"

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Wait, this is actually good?

Yes. BUT. Everyone who has issues with it is completely right. It's one of those games where the problems may overcome the enjoyment, or you will find them easy to ignore and just delve into the space adventure.

Maybe wait for a sale.

I had a look at the demo. It's an odd beast but I did find the feel of the ship incredibly satisfying.

I died a lot though (and encountered my usual frustrations with the classic 'defend this convoy' mission) so I'll probably take a look when it's a bit cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no. Depends on your tolerance for the occasional bullshit skill checks it does sometimes. It looks great, feels great to play, imo a good story and voice acting. Just for me it does these flying agility skill checks a little bit more than I could tolerate which saddens me because I wanted to see how the story ended.

It's usually just a case of keep away and hit them with the laser while they have the big blue shield up and are laying mines then teleport behind and Gatling them to death.

I don't fully get the mine laying ships to be honest. Sometimes they are easy other times they're nails. I usually just missile them a whole lot.

On 31/12/2021 at 18:21, El Spatula said:

It's usually just a case of keep away and hit them with the laser while they have the big blue shield up and are laying mines then teleport behind and Gatling them to death.

I don't fully get the mine laying ships to be honest. Sometimes they are easy other times they're nails. I usually just missile them a whole lot.

I find Rite of Storms is the best way to deal with them... temporarily disabling them before pummelling them to death with rockets.

15 minutes ago, AstroBot said:

Just completed this…I thought the last phase was bugged for me…as no one would think the following is a good idea..

Hide contents

You take constant damage and have to kill the bad guy who warps around, is very hard to see as it felt like it was in grey scale, while avoiding killer columns of laserness which you can also barely see, while being sniped.

I struggled with that bit before I realised I needed to use rockets. But he had a red health bar instead of yellow so it's wasn't clear.

• 2 months later...

Completely by co incidence I finished this yesterday.

loved it.  Gets space combat so right with its drift mechanic and 3 perfect feeling gun types.

I’d have liked more cap ships to fly around inside in, but I hope they put that in the sequel

Edited by bumgut