IGNORED

Ubisoft announces rebadged cosmetic tradeable DLC for dummies...sorry NFTS!

Uzi

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

But... it doesn't need to be an nft. They could do that just in the same way as any other game item if they wanted. Diablo's auction house, steam etc have done it for years.

That said, establishing a commercial value for tradeable in game items might hasten regulation of gambling-based microtransactions, so hopefully it's a case of careful what you wish for, Ubisoft.

I wonder if they see some regulatory advantage in the buying and selling being entirely the responsibility of third parties.

8 minutes ago, Fondue said:

If you can't use or enjoy the item you bought outside of a specific game, what's the point of 'owning' it? 

Why would you want to? Inside the specific game is the whole point, isn’t it?

I’m sure there will be a mechanism for ‘viewing’ without, mind you.

16 minutes ago, deerokus said:

But... it doesn't need to be an nft. They could do that just in the same way as any other game item if they wanted. Diablo's auction house, steam etc have done it for years.

That said, establishing a commercial value for tradeable in game items might hasten regulation of gambling-based microtransactions, so hopefully it's a case of careful what you wish for, Ubisoft.

I think the key is proving immutable provenance while supporting exchange of the individual item. This seems to be a method for doing that. If other methods provide the same level of immutable provenance, then yes, I don’t know why this needs to be the vehicle.

OMG! R@RE! FULL Kevlar Set (with embossed Kangaroo imprint) as once worn by NINJA from EPIC 15-0 run!

PS: I have been getting a lot of emails and this is item number 00768 and it isn't from that specific epic 15-0 run which has item number 00657 but check out my other auctions HERE!

43 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I think the key is proving immutable provenance while supporting exchange of the individual item. This seems to be a method for doing that. If other methods provide the same level of immutable provenance, then yes, I don’t know why this needs to be the vehicle.

Forza's auction house can do exactly this. I'm not sure to what extent the information is exposed but the vehicles carry their total drive time and previous owners etc. In essence they're as unique as anything an NFT would give.

Of course without the backend to do the above an NFT doesn't even give THAT.

"However, this also means that the license granted to you under Article 5.3 will partially cease as you will no longer be able to use your Digit(s) as in-game content(s), without any liability to Ubisoft."

Such consumer benefits. Much freedoms

2 hours ago, skittles said:

I've spent probably 800 bucks on Valorant skins and I can't do shit with them. I'd love to sell them on. It's greedy for studios to not allow secondary trading so this great news for the consumer.

You old farts are just getting left behind and that's ok.

Godspeed the future when you can spend 800 bucks on cosmetics for a third rate Ghost Recon game and then sell them on for 50 bucks when the game craters and the servers are turned off.

21 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Forza's auction house can do exactly this. I'm not sure to what extent the information is exposed but the vehicles carry their total drive time and previous owners etc. In essence they're as unique as anything an NFT would give.

Yes, that tells me the provenance is available, but doesn’t tell me how reliable that record is. If one is more trusted than the other then there is a reason for choosing one over the other - but I I’m speculating on the reasons here, there may well be others, or it could simply be they want to associate with a trend, for obvious reasons.

2 minutes ago, skittles said:

:lol: I've also put in 1000 hours. I won't be doing that on ghost recon.

So maybe we should wait for a game that people actually care about to offer this stuff and see how it pans out then before we establish who's being left behind.

When I get that next warzone gun that has bright neon lights on the size and shoots purple bullet trails I would certainly expect a verified and reliable previous ownership record to know that B1gk1ll@6969 didn't mistreat those zeros and ones before I aquired them.

NFTs give me that PEACE OF MIND! I know my cosmetic had three previous careful owners - one of them maybe even finished school!

9 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes, that tells me the provenance is available, but doesn’t tell me how reliable that record is. If one is more trusted than the other then there is a reason for choosing one over the other - but I I’m speculating on the reasons here, there may well be others, or it could simply be they want to associate with a trend, for obvious reasons.

I’m not sure I understand the concern about the ownership record of Forza cars being secretly changed by insiders with access to the Forza database. Fair enough if we’re talking about old masters stolen by the Nazis but for virtual guns and cars and clothes?

1 minute ago, Graham S said:

I’m not sure I understand the concern about the ownership record of Forza cars being secretly changed by insiders with access to the Forza database. Fair enough if we’re talking about old masters stolen by the Nazis but for virtual guns and cars and clothes?

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of memorabilia?

23 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Yes, that tells me the provenance is available, but doesn’t tell me how reliable that record is

The record doesn't quite matter, because in this case, the publisher is controlling the platform where the digital item manifests and that's the weak link in the chain. An NFT saying you own this gun, or that car, or whatever doesn't mean a thing if the game decides otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

The record doesn't quite matter, because in this case, the publisher is controlling the platform where the digital item manifests and that's the weak link in the chain. An NFT saying you own this gun, or that car, or whatever doesn't mean a thing if the game decides otherwise. 

But if the game’s publishers are running that, why would it decide otherwise? They’d be purposely contravening the benefit of the items they are themselves selling.

Or do you mean the game is open to hacking, and thus spoiling provenance? That’s certainly a possibility, but presumably one they would be aware of and do their utmost to mitigate against, regardless of the inclusion of DOGSHITS.

I can apply all of what you say to the Forza example Dudley describes. What is the added benefit of an NFT here? And it doesn't have to be malicious either, as bugs and human error are all part of the chain. If you own a unique car in a game and someone accidentally pushes a build where that unique car skin is missing or corrupt, then you've got nothing until it's fixed.

One thing I can think of is that by making the ownership database decentralised, when Ubisoft get around to switching off servers (and they will), the ownership still exists. That still requires some means of viewing the items outside of the game, which is not an insurmountable problem.

Whether or not those items retain any value without their main application is something that remains to be seen. My gut says "no", but my mind says "nooooooo".

53 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I would suggest the record at Microsoft is more reliable than the record as "Sam's totally legit NFTs Inc".

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

But it's all centralised, right, and under the control of MS? So they can "clock" your cars , or do other things that affect their value ?

(Honest question, I don't know because I've never played Forza).

Is the first time advertising for cosmetic DLC has felt the need to include a disclaimer about it being "energy efficient"? 

Maybe it's simplistic on my part but if they can't even go as far as "environmentally friendly" then I'm inclined to class this whole scheme as a bad thing. 

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

But it's all centralised, right, and under the control of MS? So they can "clock" your cars , or do other things that affect their value ?

(Honest question, I don't know because I've never played Forza).

They own the game, so they can do all that no matter where the ownership record of the car resides. 

16 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I can apply all of what you say to the Forza example Dudley describes. What is the added benefit of an NFT here? And it doesn't have to be malicious either, as bugs and human error are all part of the chain. If you own a unique car in a game and someone accidentally pushes a build where that unique car skin is missing or corrupt, then you've got nothing until it's fixed.

One thing I can think of is that by making the ownership database decentralised, when Ubisoft get around to switching off servers (and they will), the ownership still exists. That still requires some means of viewing the items outside of the game, which is not an insurmountable problem.

Whether or not those items retain any value without their main application is something that remains to be seen. My gut says "no", but my mind says "nooooooo".

Well you seem to be asking a question as if I’m the person who designed this, rather than someone who has as much information as you. I’m speculating as to the rationale, and as I previously said, it’s entirely possible trend is the only motivator. If it can be done as equally well with an existing non-novel solution, then that’s the most likely reason. 

I would honestly be surprised if it was simply replicating an existing way of doing things, however, with no observable benefit.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Does this forum have some kind of Hall of Fame for classic posts?

I don't think it's that bad an idea that we should be able to sell own and sell digital assets that we buy in-game. Or anywhere else. I've spend hundreds of quid on Kindle books, it would be great if I could sell them on when I've finished reading them. Even if I had to give Amazon a cut (which is perfectly doable with NFTs as I understand it).