IGNORED

Ubisoft announces rebadged cosmetic tradeable DLC for dummies...sorry NFTS!

Uzi

1 hour ago, RFredW said:As mentioned on page 2 of this, Ubisofts T&Cs forbid showing off the digital things:-

You do not have the right to, directly or indirectly:
[…]
use the Visual Representation of your Digit in videos or any other forms of media,

If people can't show off their super rare gun skin outside of the game then surely that will restrict people wanting to buy it or its resale value so Ubisoft make less money form their cut of people selling it on?

How do you even offer it for sale if you can't show it in any form of media? Is it only allowed to be traded in some sort of Ubisoft NFT Ebay?

3 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

They own their store. They could implement royalties on second hand sales already.

But for the speculative aspect of it all to work there has to be a way to cash in the NFTs for real money and it's less risky for Ubisoft to offload all of that on to existing third party infrastructure rather than get embroiled with potential money laundering scandals and pitfalls from future government legislation.

When I say it makes sense I mean it makes sense for Ubisoft.

Also NFTs provide a reasonably secure way to avoid duplication which is what tanked the Team Fortress hat economy.

7 minutes ago, matt0 said:

But for the speculative aspect of it all to work there has to be a way to cash in the NFTs for real money and it's less risky for Ubisoft to offload all of that on to existing third party infrastructure rather than get embroiled with potential money laundering scandals and pitfalls from future government legislation.

When I say it makes sense I mean it makes sense for Ubisoft

Oh, absolutely. They're in this now because they think they'll make a lot of money, not because of anything it enables beyond that.

Mostly because it enables nothing. 

15 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I would say one of the things it does enable, is for smaller games that aren't Forza / UbiSoft level behemoths, that they can (presumably) integrate this stuff more easily than they could implement the same features themselves.

Doesn't Steam Marketplace do something similar?

Helpful, as always:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/12/ubisofts-first-nft-plans-make-no-sense/

edit

Ubisoft even warns in the terms of use that "the Tezos blockchain network may be subject to specific weaknesses, which make them possibly targets for certain cybersecurity threats. Ubisoft has no liability in the risks implied by the use of this new technology, and you are solely responsible for secure storage of private keys for your crypto-wallet."

Amazing.

8 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

If people can't show off their super rare gun skin outside of the game then surely that will restrict people wanting to buy it or its resale value so Ubisoft make less money form their cut of people selling it on?

How do you even offer it for sale if you can't show it in any form of media? Is it only allowed to be traded in some sort of Ubisoft NFT Ebay?

Once you have the NFT in your wallet, they cannot stop you displaying it in a gallery or trading it P2P.

4 hours ago, skittles said:

Once you have the NFT in your wallet, they cannot stop you displaying it in a gallery or trading it P2P.

you mean you buy something, then all copyright restrictions and covenants on the sale evaporate?

19 hours ago, ZOK said:

Gaming can’t claim to be environmentally friendly, so why would these products?

There is an important distinction to be made between Proof of Work and Proof of Stake in these areas from the perspective of energy usage - POS is environmentally trivial compared with POW, so it’s understandable they would want to highlight that.

It's definitely a POS.

It all seems a load of useless shit to me but it's looking like an inevitability as all the big tech bros have designs on it being in our digital future, unfortunately?, so pretty pointless getting worked up about it. I'll never buy anything NFT based if I can help it but fuck knows what this all encompassing 'metaverse' is going to throw up with regards to gaming etc within the next 10 years so never say never.

13 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Of course they can stop you displaying it in a gallery.  The NFT is only the receipt of purchase, it's not the asset itself.  The actual thing that can be displayed is a proprietary, copyright asset owned by Ubisoft, the display of which is entirely under their control.  If Ubisoft turn off the in-game system to display this item, there is no other legal way to display it anywhere.  

Let's see what they do! All speculation atm but it would be dumb if they did switch it off.

And/Or when they bring out the next Ghost Recon or nobody is playing it anymore.

I know this is the same as current games that have a digital marketplace and eventually get turned off, but if people start buying other people’s gun skins at inflated prices then there is going to be a lot more kicking off when you can’t play the game anymore (especially if you can’t show it off outside the game).

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

And/Or when they bring out the next Ghost Recon or nobody is playing it anymore.

I know this is the same as current games that have a digital marketplace and eventually get turned off, but if people start buying other people’s gun skins at inflated prices then there is going to be a lot more kicking off when you can’t play the game anymore (especially if you can’t show it off outside the game).

Don't people pay silly money on Fifa Ultimate Team every year and that doesn't all carry over to the new game. I think most people aren't going to be too fussed when a new game means the old one goes away. They just go for the new shiny thing.

3 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Don't people pay silly money on Fifa Ultimate Team every year and that doesn't all carry over to the new game. I think most people aren't going to be too fussed when a new game means the old one goes away. They just go for the new shiny thing.

Sure - but in top of that they are selling this idea that not only did you acquire Super Fireball Ronaldo, but now you’ve acquired Super Fireball Ronaldo previously owned by some YouTuber who got it because it was the Super Fireball Ronaldo with a slightly different hat (or not even that).

And, am I wrong, that after Ubisoft turn off the servers for the game - the history of the transactions will still be in the blockchain somewhere so you might be able to still prove you had Super Fireball ark also previously owned set by famous youtuber but it won’t actually exist anymore?

31 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

Isn't the difference that in FIFA there is a gameplay benefit to ultimate team purhases, whereas this is just cosmetic?