IGNORED

What Christmas TV & Movies are you watching this year?

The Disco

We've all got our staple Christmas films we like to watch most years.  As per a lot of others on this forum, I love Die Hards 1 & 2, Santa Claus The Movie, Lethal Weapon, Trapped In Paradise, Gavin & Stacey Christmas Special (the first one, not last years let down), etc.  You know, the A tier stuff.

However, there are also the odd B tier film and TV show you happen across that are very much worthy of a watch and still fill the heart.

In previous years it has been films like Nativity from 2009 that was very enjoyable and is on the iPlayer (the second and third are dirge to be avoided though, imo):

Surviving Christmas from 2004 with Ben Affleck, James Gandolfini, Christina Applegate, and Catherine O'Hara.  All put in great perfomances and the whole film keeps it light enough to not get cloyingly sentimental:

Robbie Reindeer - Hooves of Fire from 1999 is also absolutely brilliant (and probably deserves to be in the A tier actually, but I cba to rearrange my post and feel like putting in a video anyway).  The whole thing is on Youtube and not available on the iPlayer:

This year, I've just happened upon Click & Collect from 2018 with Stepen Merchant and Asim Chaudhry that even though I'm only 15 minutes in to it (it's on Netflix), is turning out to be pretty damn funny and is very much worthy of inclusion here:

What not often brought up Christmas films or TV do you want to share, rllmuk?

I usually make a point of watching the Father Ted special, but Linehan being a massive twat has somewhat killed my enthusiasm for it. Other than that, the South Park special with the Christmas songs is a favourite, and one that I'll dig out at some point.

It's Christmas in our house once the whole family has watched Elf and Home Alone, me and my wife have watched Die Hard and Groundhog Day and once she has fallen asleep watching It's a Wonderful Life. It always takes me a while to forgive her.

It's a Wonderful Life is the only traditional Christmas film I ever watch. 

I hate the schmaltzy Christmas films. And I don't have young kids so can't even attempt to get in the spirit. 

I will be watching Gremlins, Die Hard, In Bruges and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as they are good films. 

We have a few staples in our house: Home Alone, Four Christmasses, the Holiday, Love Actually, Elf, Muppet's Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve. I'll then watch Die Hard on Christmas eve, too. I might even sneak in Lethal Weapon this year as I remembered the other day it, too, is a Christmas movie about family, forgiveness and fighting bad guys.

I seem to have this tradition of watching a 90s action film on Christmas Day afternoon, and this year it will be The Rock which I realise now I've not seen for about 15 years, although I know it back to front. 

Christmas stuff though, the original Miracle On 34th Street is a great film that has it's sappier moments but never totally dissolves into a mush. Knowing Me Knowing Yule as well as my twin brother and I have watched that every Christmas for over 20 years, even though 'es abroad now he still watches it. We know it pretty much off by heart - "what do you do for an encore, Alan, shag a robin?"

Home Alone and The Snowman every year. They are perfection, timeless. Snowman has to have Bowie tho or it doesn't count. So it's always watched on DVD. Additions this year will be Trading Places and very likely Beverly Hills Cop. It may not be a Christmas movie, in the sense of having Xmasy stuff in it, but it 'feels' like a holiday movie for me, the type that would be shown at 23.00 on BBC2 on the 23rd. It's also just a classic which can be enjoyed whenever, endlessly rewatchable and feel good.

Can't believe I'm the only one who always watches a Ghost story at Christmas, No not the Dickens one. 

But since I got that M.R. James boxset. I've basically watched at least one or two every year.  Not oh whistle obviously, cos that shit is scary. 

I really like A Christmas Story (filmed in canada!), I feel like they showed it in the UKs in the 80's but then stopped showing it ever since. Probably because it's pretty racist at the end. Anyway, it's certainly a film of it's time. 

Considering how much I love Christmas (my tree was up by kid-November and won't come down until late January at the earliest), I don't really watch many Christmas films.

There are some I will have as background if I flick through the channels and see they are on (National Lampoon, Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, It's A Wonderful Life), but nothing I will go out of my way to watch.

I read a BBC article on Christmas films this year and it was saying that there were more than 200 films with Christmas listed in the title on imdb this year - a record - and yet I probably won't watch any.

Lasted about 2 minutes into the new home alone, the kid was unbearable! <_<

Ended up going for 8 Bit Christmas. Rather enjoyed it!

Will be watching the Stephen Merchant one above next, had no idea it existed!

Then Noelle on disney+, which was the surprise hit in our house last year.

Probably nothing for me this year. We don't have kids anyway and after all that's really who Christmas is for (kids and retailers, I suppose?)

My wife's mother died last week so Christmas will be pretty low key this year for us. Her funeral will be the 18th December. Add to that I'm scheduled to be working 23rd, 24th and 25th this year, so there'll be little opportunity for communal Christmas viewing. 

Not even sure we'll get a tree up this year 😟

However we are going away for the weekend tomorrow with friends, to a rented cottage up in Northumberland which we do in a different location every year (apart from last year, obvs) So hopefully that'll be a nice distraction from our current reality so maybe we'll get to watch something festive then.

Sorry for the downer reply to what is a happy subject. I didn't start my reply meaning to be such a miserable fucker.

Sorry to hear that Multi..  My sincere sympathies and I can't blame you for not feeling christmassy.

Hopefully the trip away will help you both to deal with things as they come.

I watched Father Christmas Is Back today (on Netflix), with Kelsey Grammer along with a load of other english and american actors.  It was alright, and again fairly refreshingly light.  Nothing great though, and I'd say it fits the C/D tier just fine.

Ovee the next few days I'll be getting though Single All The Way, Lovehard, and A Castle For Christmas - all on Netflix.  I fully expect A Castle For Christmas to be 95% shmaltz...

I've also got 8-Bit Christmas and A Boy Called Christmas downloaded on the Sky box waiting to go.

Same ritual as every year. Christmas Eve with stilton, oat cakes, a bottle of red and the 1970 musical version of Scrooge with Albert Finney. 

Have watched it every year for as long as I can remember. 

Then when that’s finished and the wine has made me all melancholic, I’ll start on the YouTube compilations of idents and continuity from Christmas TV in the 80s and get all nostalgic about Christmases gone by and happier, more innocent times. Then I’ll open another bottle of red.