What Christmas TV & Movies are you watching this year?

The Disco

Every year I watch

He-Man Christmas Special

Its a Wonderful Life

The Shop Around the Corner

National Lampoon Christmas

I watched Scrooged too many times, so its Muppets Christmas Carol, Polar Express because its been years, Tales From the Crypt: And All Through the House and I think thats it. 

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

Lord of the Rings and Die Hard. Although I might give LOTRs a miss this year. 

But it's the 20th anniversary of Fellowship's release! If ever there was a Christmas with a good excuse to rewatch LOTR, it's this one!

On 09/12/2021 at 18:38, Bucky said:

We kicked the year off with the new Home Alone, so it's uphill from there.

This may be the first year we watch Gremlins as a family.  It could be either terrible great or terrible terrible.

Turns out it was terrible great.

What a tool - I forgot Stickman. As good as any animation there is in my book - beautifully written and presented - artwork, music, everything is all top notch, it’s just about perfect. 
Get it watched, especially if you’ve got kids. 
Sky has it on demand at the mo. 
Plenty of edits on YouTube but you want the full version which is over 20mins. 
Watching it as I type this…

On 09/12/2021 at 12:15, SpagMasterSwift said:

Its usually Gremlins and Scrooged - but I might treat myself to The Long Kiss Goodnight this Christmas (although my wife claims to hate it - says its too cheesy)...

Die screaming, motherfucker!  I’ve a real soft sport for The Long Kiss Goodnight.

As for Xmas films my old flatmate and myself got into the tradition of watching Arthur Christmas every year, something we’ve both continued on separately.

When my son was little we used to watch the Fireman Sam (pre CGI) Christmas Special. I think I loved it more than him. Might just watch it on my own this year like some terrible secret. If the wife catches me I'll just flick over to Babestation to avoid any embarrassment. 

Have decided to do the sort-of-classics this year, as we normally don't watch anything Xmassy other that Holiday Inn & It's A Wonderful Life.

So far: Die Hard, Die Hard II, Trading Places, Gremlins, 8-Bit Christmas, Dune, Santa Claus: The Movie

Admittedly Dune isn't an Xmas film.

On 07/12/2021 at 21:29, GamesGamesGames said:

Christmas League of Gentlemen, The Hudsucker Proxy, It's A Wonderful Life.

Boring with this sort of thing. Strictly the classics.

I watched It’s A Wonderful Life again yesterday, and for some reason amidst the lovely feels it struck me for the first time that despite everything it’s basically the story of common folk giving up their future financial security to bail out a bank.

A truly timeless theme!

With so many genuinely good Xmas films to choose from now, I'm finding myself alternating some to every other year. Didn't watch Elf last year, but watched it last night with the kids. A genuine modern classic.

The Christmas Chronicles (with Kurt Russell) is really good fun, but DO NOT WATCH its execrable sequel. Truly awful.

If someone wants a film that isn't a Christmas film, but tends to get shown at this time of year, I strongly recommend Saving Mister Banks, about the making of Mary Poppins. A really fantastic film, Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks are both brilliant, and I'm usually a wreck by the end of it. It's on Disney+, but the beeb have had it on the past few years too.

Nightmare Before Christmas is still truly wonderful.

But for me, it's not really Christmas until I've watched at least some of Chas n Dave's Christmas knees-up. Apologies for it not being a movie, but it's a thing to behold. Mid-80s entertainment, with the drinks flowing freely. It's like they got the audience for Bullseye and got them absolutely shitfaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizRsvBluAA&t=2116s

18 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Watched Tokyo Godfathers on Netflix earlier, the sole Xmas film I’m knowingly going to watch this year. It is a good film, and you should watch it too.

Yeah this ia a great shout.   I remember buying the DVD years ago when it was pretty new (if it wasn't the year it came out, it was pretty close) and I enjoyed it a lot.

18 hours ago, Twinbee said:

But for me, it's not really Christmas until I've watched at least some of Chas n Dave's Christmas knees-up. Apologies for it not being a movie, but it's a thing to behold. Mid-80s entertainment, with the drinks flowing freely. It's like they got the audience for Bullseye and got them absolutely shitfaced.

Absolutely no need to apologise for this.  The title says TV & movies.

Lovehard was OK, but nothing special.  Did have a fairly satisfying ending that wasn't overly schmaltzy.

A Castle For Christmas was, again, OK but nothing special.  Less schmaltzy than I expected, but still plenty of it and a truely hollywood chtistmas ending for good measure.

31 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Watched Princess Mononoke. Nothing says this seasonal time of year like reindeers!

And it has other Christmassy things: boars with demonic infections, feral wolf girls wiping blood from their mouths, towns full of prostitutes...

On 08/12/2021 at 17:23, smac said:

The new Shaun the Sheep Xmas movie, to be broadcast by the Beeb this year.

Not a movie; just an extended episode.

I guess I'll have to console myself with the Beeb also broadcasting the Farmer's Llamas again, the same day.

We watched Click and Collect on Netflix last night. I believe it's a BBC special from a few years back starring Stephen Merchant. We had so much fun, the kids all absolutely loved it. A really nice, tight, family-friendly hour. Highly recommended.

9 hours ago, ckny said:

We watched Click and Collect on Netflix last night. I believe it's a BBC special from a few years back starring Stephen Merchant. We had so much fun, the kids all absolutely loved it. A really nice, tight, family-friendly hour. Highly recommended.

Yeah that’s a good watch.