What Christmas TV & Movies are you watching this year?

The Disco

On 08/12/2021 at 17:44, gizmo1990 said:

Home Alone and The Snowman every year. They are perfection, timeless. Snowman has to have Bowie tho or it doesn't count. So it's always watched on DVD. Additions this year will be Trading Places and very likely Beverly Hills Cop. It may not be a Christmas movie, in the sense of having Xmasy stuff in it, but it 'feels' like a holiday movie for me, the type that would be shown at 23.00 on BBC2 on the 23rd. It's also just a classic which can be enjoyed whenever, endlessly rewatchable and feel good.

Beverly Hills Cop feels like a perfect film to stick on tonight before bed. Thanks.

Just watched A Boy Called Christmas.

Very good, and most of the cast are having a great time and giving great perfomances (though I would say the lead is pretty wooden for the most part).  Best Christmas film of this year that I've seen and I think will become a good one to watch every few years and won't become stale.

On 22/12/2021 at 16:41, Benny said:

I'll be watched all three extended Lord of The Rings films whilst falling asleep on mulled wine. Probably.

It's been a while since I've watched them, but Fellowship has been making me teary eyed for three and a half hours straight. What real classics they are. Up there with the Indy films and Star Wars for sheer heart filled adventure and wonder.

On 13/12/2021 at 23:26, Twinbee said:

But for me, it's not really Christmas until I've watched at least some of Chas n Dave's Christmas knees-up. Apologies for it not being a movie, but it's a thing to behold. Mid-80s entertainment, with the drinks flowing freely. It's like they got the audience for Bullseye and got them absolutely shitfaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizRsvBluAA&t=2116s

This has been added to the Christmas watch list, I just watched the first couple of songs, marvellous stuff and something you just won’t see again. Made me really nostalgic. 

I always sit and wrap my presents with a big old glass of whisky and Trading Places, which isn’t necessarily a Christmas movie is set at a Christmas. 

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

This has been added to the Christmas watch list, I just watched the first couple of songs, marvellous stuff and something you just won’t see again. Made me really nostalgic.

I was over seeing my parents on Christmas Day and we ended up watching a couple of Morecombe & Wise shows on BBC (one of which was the lost tape). I remember fragments from when I was a kid but not much more. It did make me a little nostalgic for that type of family entertainment show, which hasn't really existed for probably 25+ years - stuff the whole family could watch together and you didn't have to worry about bad language or 'adult' themes or scenes - just fairly mild comedy & songs.

With that said, a lot of it has not aged well. Obviously some of that is purely the movement of comedy with the times, but what really struck me was how amateurish it felt. I'm not talking production values (because despite the fact this would've probably been the Xmas Day highlight back in the 70s/80s, it looked like it cost about £10 to put on), but the delivery of lines. They often talked over each other - but not in a way that felt part of the skit - there were little stumbles of lines and Ernie Wise, who seemed to be recognised as this great straight man, had no charisma, no comic timing and bumbled his way through his lines. It might be the two episodes we watched weren't great examples of him, but it made it painful to watch at times.

39 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It did make me a little nostalgic for that type of family entertainment show, which hasn't really existed for probably 25+ years - stuff the whole family could watch together and you didn't have to worry about bad language or 'adult' themes or scenes - just fairly mild comedy & songs.

Strictly serves that purpose now no? And Bake-off too but it’s not as “Saturday night” obviously.

2 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Strictly serves that purpose now no? And Bake-off too but it’s not as “Saturday night” obviously.

Strictly's no good if you have no interest in dancing though, ditto Bake-Off (and I've documented my hate of Fielding and Lucas in the thread). Back in the day you had things like M&W, the Two Ronnies, Russ Abbott, various game shows - stuff that was a bit more of a wider focus and would have comedy, music sometimes some other types of acts.

I'm just being old man nostalgic, that type of experience is never coming back and I know that.