EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

cassidy

I watched this again and it was strange, none of the emotional beats hit, it felt a lot longer than when I saw it at the cinema and whilst it still had some heart and warmth, it all fell a bit flat for me.

It was actually quite disappointing, because whilst I didn't love it the first time around, it did resonate with me emotionally at points (which was my reason for wanting to see it again.)

My wife and I liked this up to a point but it just got too zany for us to love. I liked the slice of life stuff more than anything else, although Jenny Slate's weapon got laughs from both of us.

Good to see Stephanie Hsu outside Mrs. Maisel though. And Michelle Yeoh was good, too.

1 hour ago, NickC said:

Has this been taken off Prime? I was halfway through watching it, now it's asking me to pay to see it.

It’s still got a Prime banner but it’s asking for money. Weird because it’s only been on Prime for about a week, I think.

For anyone else having this problem, there's currently 2 versions of this movie on Prime. The version that doesn't have the Prime banner on it is the one that you can watch using your sub :facepalm:

Something I realised about this film the other day (spoilers obviously):

Spoiler

It's basically the anti-Marvel movie.

You've got the whole everyone squaring off for a big fisticuffs fight at the end, but rather than it devolving to yet another film with a sequence at the end where superpowered characters hit each other really hard, it turns into a dance of possibilities with each "strike" being warped and redirected so that reality shifts around them and embraces them with grace and love.

It's great.

I wish I'd seen it at the cinema. I don't think I'd have found it too long on the big screen. As it was, it's 30 mins too long.  Great, heartfelt, felt fun though.

Totally in stitches over 

Spoiler

Butt plug

fight. I'd been laughing quite hard over switching methods prior to that point.

And as mentioned, it's an anti-nihilism, which a terribly nice thing.

For some reason it didn't get to Prime here until yesterday, so I watched it last night. All I really knew was the phenomenal word of mouth, so I had high expectations, which were exceeded. There's just too many bits to pick ones to mention. I had even somehow forgotten the dog until I read the thread just now. How is that even possible? While Yeoh was obviously good, Ke Huy Quan was unexpectedly great too. Hsu did well and obviously Hong's a legend.

Just finished this. It’s a little too self-consciously wacky for me at times, and at least 30 minutes too long for its own good. Both of which weakened its emotional kick.

But (butt?)… it is incredibly vivid and imaginative, and despite its obvious touchstones, it’s definitely its own thing. It also has a nice message and a huge amount of heart (and sex toys). The cast are great, the fights are fun, it was lovely to see James “Lo Pan” Hong still kicking arse at (checks Google) 93! (fuck me). I will also never not love the rocks scene.

3.5/5

@jonamok Yeah, I think the first rock scene is one of the best in the film.

I do think this film really benefitted from being seen at the cinema though. As I posted above, watching it again at home I felt it dragged a bit and you really lose some of the impact (especially that rock scene, where the huge vista helps sell the message of that moment.)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching this on Amazon Prime. Absolutely adored it. Loved the weird. Also loved the feels. Inspired me to keep being weird in the projects I'm working on (I've got a note written down to follow up on - none of mine go as weird as this, yet this shows you can get away with it - be weird!).

This was great, basically it’s The Matrix but for middle-aged people who never really reached their potential.

Plus it was great seeing Data out of the Goonies, but as a middle aged man. Like the kid out of ET turning up in those “Haunting of” series and you go “is there something wrong with my glasses, nope, it’s the kid out of ET but he’s old”.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2022 at 17:26, gone fishin said:

This was great, basically it’s The Matrix but for middle-aged people who never really reached their potential.

Plus it was great seeing Data out of the Goonies, but as a middle aged man. Like the kid out of ET turning up in those “Haunting of” series and you go “is there something wrong with my glasses, nope, it’s the kid out of ET but he’s old”.

Ahhh that's who he was! I thought he looked familiar.

I ended up watching the movie last night, i guess i enjoyed it but i have to admit about 2/3 of the way through i started to loose interest as it started getting a bit too hard to follow.

I'll read a synopsis on wiki.

On 27/10/2022 at 12:27, DarhkFox said:

Ahhh that's who he was! I thought he looked familiar.

I ended up watching the movie last night, i guess i enjoyed it but i have to admit about 2/3 of the way through i started to loose interest as it started getting a bit too hard to follow.

I'll read a synopsis on wiki.

I get what you mean, I also found it a bit hard to follow - it didn’t stop me thoroughly enjoying it, I must say, but:

Spoiler

I found it hard to get my head round the universe-jumping “logic”. Sometimes she seemed to access other versions’ memories and skills, sometimes she jumped into other universes, sometimes she teleported into cupboards… not that it hurt the film really, I mean come on it’s all good fun.

Also I didn’t get why she stabbed her husband with the broken glass?

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

I guess hard to follow isn’t the right word really, I followed the story no problem. Just the logistics of the jumping mechanic twisted my melon a bit 😅

I think that was the intention. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching this on Prime.

Thanks, rllmuk, you came through again. Really enjoyed it - Michelle Yeoh is such a great actor. So many little touches and pastiches.

James Hong is a total legend. How many movies has he been in now?

This still hasn't had a BR/DVD release in the UK, has it? :( Anyone heard any news on whether it's likely to get one?

I want to get a physical copy of it at some point, but ideally without having to get an imported edition.