Strafe

Polished this off in an evening as it’s only about 5 hours long. 

Pleasant enough little game that ambles along at a nice pace and doesn’t outstay its welcome. It’s very easy and barely provides any sort of challenge though. At first you get the impression that it’s going to be a sort of Metroidvania with multiple routes to explore but then it quickly reveals itself to be an almost entirely linear romp with pretty pointless and redundant resource gathering and gear upgrades. That’s all fine though because after having gritted my teeth through the insane difficulty spikes in a replay of Halo 2 these past couple of days I really wanted something that was relaxed and easygoing and this delivered in that regard.

It looks quite nice in places and plays very smoothly in a chunky, cartoony sci-fi sort of way. Reminds me of Journey to the Savage Planet a little, even if it’s nowhere near as inventive and densely designed.

Another of those short but sweet 7/10 Game Pass games that serve as nice little palate cleansers between more substantial titles.

It's hard not to feel a bit let down after the first hour or so as the mechanics barely develop any further. The concept never really gets out of second gear. But I found the characters likeable and there's a certain satisfaction in hoovering up the gunk. A reasonably diverting way to spend 5 hours.

Just finished this too.

Perfect length really - an enjoyable adventure that doesn't outstay its welcome.

I do agree with Badger that it never gets out of second gear, but given the length it's fine. 

Perfect for Game Pass.

On 16/12/2021 at 18:13, Strafe said:

Made by the same people who made steamworld. I never played steamworld.

Steamworld Dig, Steamworld Dig 2 and Steamworld Heist are all insanely addictive to play I found. I enjoyed Steamworld Quest too, even though it’s barely a game by comparison.

Completed and enjoyed. Had a couple of issues where the game wouldn't trigger a clearing of gunk despite me clearing it, but a reload sorted it. Fortunately there's not too much repetition if you reload last save. The length was ideal, one to plod through on a lazy Sunday or Christmas holiday.

I've played about an hour or so of this and it seems quite nice. Really quite pretty in places -  I definitely got a bit of a Savage Planet vibe from it, but it's a bit disappointing to hear it never really develops from here. Bit odd, given how laser focused the Steamworld games are on having a really tight gameplay hook. Hoovering gunk is okay, I suppose, but really not that interesting, so I'm scratching my head a bit trying to figure out what about this project appealed to the team.

@shirubagan mentioned this in the Completed 2021 thread but it bears repeating here, the map design is really good. There's no detailed in game map but the landscape is well done enough that you can navigate it by eye and find your way around. And quoting @shirubagan here

Levels are linear, but respectful of your time and any secret areas always loop you back to where you need to be, eliminating backtracking which I very much appreciated.

Comparing this with the other game I'm playing at the moment (FF14:A Realm Reborn) and the difference in respect for player time is chalk and cheese.

On 17/12/2021 at 09:03, Kiwi Cake said:

I really enjoyed this, just a lovely time exploring a world and then it's over and you can move on.

Reminds me of Kena in that sense.

Ooh, now I'm really excited for my Series X to arrive.

Mariusz is due between 12.09 - 13.09 today so I'm going to sort the "Christmas housework" this morning and enjoy my afternoon!

I think I'm a fair way into this and it's completely unremarkable. I suppose you could say it's quite pretty, but it's still not going to win any awards in that department, either. It feels like a popcorn game - it's fine while you're playing it, but you probably won't remember a thing about it in a few months.

It introduces a hint of some interesting puzzle and platforming mechanics but really it might as well be a walking sim for all the challenge it poses. I'm not saying it needs to be harder, but you really don't need to engage your brain at all.

Really odd that this is what the Steampunk team have come up with. I'd love to ask them why. Maybe just something unambitious to get used to making 3D games?

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this today and while it not being the most difficult game I totally enjoyed my playthrough. 

I appreciate the lack of hud but it did mean those little space dogs could sneak up on you. 

Really dug the atmosphere and gentle puzzles and the final boss wasn't taxing at all.  

I loved how you could take out those space rhino things with the Gardeners laser beam saving you a whole heap of annoyance. 

Becks was bloody annoying though. 

If it wasn't for chancing upon this thread I wouldn't have even bothered with it, I'm glad I did. 

Halfway through this and I'm finding it absolutely charming and delightful.

Graphically, it's nice and chunky and I'm enjoying the dialogue between the two main characters.

it's a great "relax  after work with a cup of tea" game.

13 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Halfway through this and I'm finding it absolutely charming and delightful.

Graphically, it's nice and chunky and I'm enjoying the dialogue between the two main characters.

it's a great "relax  after work with a cup of tea" game.

I'm quite near the end and have really enjoyed this game. It's not the most complex game, nor does it have an amazing storyline but there's just something about it I like 

Yeah I really liked it, found it relaxing. Just an enjoyable 4-5 hours. Love it when I can get sucked into a game and there's not a million options, upgrade crap and massive HUD. Nice and simple. 

At first I thought the fact there is no map might be a hindrance but the levels are very well designed. 

I should never have doubted the Devs of Steamworld Dig 1 and 2. I bloody love those games. 

• 2 months later...

Really enjoyed this, as others have said, its a nice gentle platformer with a few puzzles thrown in. My type of game at this time of life, not got time for 100 hour games where i drop in every so often and forget everything i need to know. This was just right. Never would have played it without Gamepass, perfect type of gamepass game. Recommended.

• 1 month later...