IGNORED

Assassin's Creed - Rate the games! WARNING the forum scuffed the 'rate the best Assassin' question!

Doctor Shark

Favourite main game?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, I'm back with another poll but I've ventured out of the Film folder and now I'm tackling games!

So, what's your favourite Assassin's Creed game? Favourite Assassin?

For me, just the ones I've played:

Assassin's Creed

I thought the first game had good potential but overall was too sparse and boring to get much enjoyment out of, so I never finished it.

Assassin's Creed II

I loved AC 2. The story was intriguing, the gameplay was fun, the characters were great and the settings was really well used. I even finished it! I never played Brotherhood or Revelations.

Black Flag

This is the only other AC game I've actually finished and I loved it, although I didn't enjoy the ship combat at all and did as little as possible, just enough to clear missions that relied on it to progress the story.

Unity

I got this for £5 long after the bugs had been fixed and although I liked running around Paris, the story and gameplay were too stale after IV so I didn't finish it.

Syndicate

I loved the setting, I loved Evie, Jacob was a prick, the gameplay was fun and the story was alright, but I didn't finish it.

Origins

Origins is up there as one of my favourites. I loved the ancient Egyptian setting, Bayak was a great character, the story was really engaging and the changes to the tired formula worked, for the most part. I almost finished it.

Odyssey

I think I was too burnt out on Origins for this one. Kassandra seemed cool but the story didn't really grab me and there was too much focus on the crappy sailing. The setting was pretty good. Didn't finish it!

So I guess I've played a load of the mainline games but only ever finished two of them!

Assassin's creed 2 was my favourite. Then Valhalla. Still not put substantial time into Odyssey and can't be arsed really. 

I enjoyed being an out and out bad mutherfucker in Valhalla, I wasn't an assassin. I was a guy massacreing and pillaging towns using some cool combat. Playing Odyssey afterwards felt dull and I stopped early on. 

For me my favourite was Brotherhood because it took everything in AC2 and refined it massively. I know you haven’t played it but I definitely see that as a main game in itself which you haven’t included in either option in the poll. That was before they all became a bit too bloated in my opinion probably after Black Flag? No doubt everyone’s opinion will be a bit different. 

Odyssey I absolutely love. It's the only one I've rinsed through to 100%, although I'm yet to play the DLC stories...which I'll be endeavouring to do sometime in the near future.

I've got Valhalla, but - like the true gamer I am - it's in the digital pile of shame, untouched and unloved whilst I fart about with other things.

But I have to say I've got a soft spot for most of the games really - the only real stinker was Unity, but I bought that for about 50p so I'm not too upset about this. The crying shame with that one is that it could have been utterly amazing. The graphics are still absolutely breathtaking on a PC, yet everything about it gameplay-wise is so bizarre it's just painful to run. Plus, you couldn't restart the game ever. I always had to dip into the files, delete all the user data and do it like that - which I'm not sure is anything other than baffling.

I might go back to Odyssey at some point, as I really enjoyed what I played of it. It's just so big though. Valhalla was fine, but I never clicked with the world, or indeed Eivor in the same way I did with Kassandra and ancient Greece.

In a long period a while ago when I was clearly not of sound mind, I decided to play through every single Assassin's Creed game in order, including Liberation which is the only side game I played. Out of all of them I enjoyed Black Flag the most, as it was just so much fun to play compared to the others. I loved the setting, and despite its simplicity I really enjoyed the ship combat too.

I did however get completely burnt out after Unity, to the point where I didn't get very far in Syndicate despite it clearly being a much better game. I think I reached a point where some kind of management thing was introduced, and decided I just couldn't be bothered.

I played all of Origins though, including the DLC. I liked a lot about it, but really didn't like the crafting and upgrades stuff. I generally find games that require you to hunt animals for upgrades a bit distasteful these days, and unless I was missing something it seemed like you needed to massacre a crazy amount of them here. I spent way to long grinding my way through what felt like the entire animal population of Egypt to bring my equipment up to the right levels.

Odyssey by comparison seemed much happier to just let me have fun, and had the Spartan kick move which never got old. :D

As for the rest, I enjoyed most of them to varying degrees. I actually quite liked III, which was a surprise, and maybe just because I went in with low expectations. 

I voted Unity as I loved the setting, and it was one of the last 'old school' AC games. But I have buyer's remorse now, on reflection that was a stupid answer and it was actually AC II. Back then it was still very fresh. I did like Odyssey/Origins but to me they were a too different type of game and suffered a bit from the bloat. Valhalla will probably be the first one I don't bother to pick up. I'm sure it's fine, but I'm burnt out.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

hated Unity. It looked gorgeous, and better than Syndicate as I recall, but I remember the combat in particular being horrible.

Obviously I played it all the way to the end, for some reason.

I don't really remember the combat, you may well be right. It introduced the mysteries or whatever they were called (shamefully platform exclusive) which for me was a new and exciting way to tell the in game stories. They were expanded to great effect in Syndicate, genuinely very clever stuff and sad to see them dropped pretty much for the RPGs (where they would arguably have been a better fit!)

I disliked Syndicate for a few reasons. I felt the time period was a little too recent, and the portrayal of the famous characters too comedic, and having Queen Victoria as as on the side of the 'assassins' was a bit of a jump the shark moment.

Just now, SozzlyJoe said:

I disliked Syndicate for a few reasons. I felt the time period was a little too recent, and the portrayal of the famous characters too comedic, and having Queen Victoria as as on the side of the 'assassins' was a bit of a jump the shark moment.

:lol:

I wish I played that far, although to be fair if anything the whole ACII Space Pope thing was probably the shark jumping moment.

I'm almost ashamed to admit I've played and enjoyed every game in the series :lol: I'm a bit of a fan.

There are three eras of Assassin's Creed really:

The Desmond games - essentially AC1 through to AC3. A strong modern-day main plot running through all the games which occasionally detracts from the historical shenanigans. Ezio's clearly the standout character here but I think my favourite game is probably AC 3 - not a popular choice maybe but it was the first time the game really branched out from the city setting, the frontier and the homestead were both great, and the ship combat (introduced here for the first time) was deeper and more interesting than in any of the subsequent games. It's also worth calling out AC3's Tyranny of King Washington DLC, which was just completely insane in a good way.

The directionless era - negative feedback on Desmond led to a string of games that focused almost entirely on the historical settings, with virtually nothing interesting going on in the modern day apart from some bloke plodding around his office. They're good games though - Black Flag is a fan favourite and I really, really loved Syndicate. Bit less keen on Unity (although tempted to revisit it now at 60fps on Series X) and Rogue was just filler content really. Unity had some DLC which involved you visiting a small French town and finding a hundred hats that Napoleon had inexplicably left up trees and on top of buildings, which was a low point for the series really.

The RPGs - the whole series has peaked with Odyssey, with the best setting, the best assassin (Kassandra), the maddest DLC, and an absolute over-abundance of giant stone penises. But Origins is cool too and even Valhalla has its moments, though I think it's bloated and the weakest of the three. There's an attempt going on here to start a new storyline but given that all the relevant plot is (a) in Odyssey's DLC and (b) right at the end of Valhalla, it's arguable whether any but the most dedicated fans even realise what's happening.

In order (I've thought about this too much), I'd go:

Odyssey > Syndicate > AC3 > AC2 > Black Flag > Brotherhood > Origins > Valhalla > Unity > Rogue > Revelations > AC1

One thing that always amuses me about the series is that the last few games (since Syndicate) have been a war between the developers clearly trying to make the woman the lead character, and the producers who always insist on putting an angry man on the box. It's nice to see Kassandra accepted as the canon protagonist of Odyssey, at least, and her crossover appearance in Valhalla is really great.

Assassins Creed II is my favourite but the whole Ezio trilogy is great. It's a shame we'll never get to see an AC protagonist grow old again because they will be stuck in a single endless  UbiSoft open world game forever. In the modern games I do like Kassandra but enjoyed playing as Bayek of Siwaa lot more, his journey was part of a much better and more memorable game.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Unity had some DLC which involved you visiting a small French town and finding a hundred hats that Napoleon had inexplicably left up trees and on top of buildings, which was a low point for the series really.

Those hats weren't really 'there' though, were they, it was animus gubbins. Unity was such a hubristic project, they really over-reached. Like, it's as if someone said, pity we can't have fin-de-siecle Paris and the Eiffel tower and someone said "wow, so cool, let's just do that anyway" so they build all that for like one mission. Then someone else said "hmm, the nazi occupation was quite a key moment in Paris' history too" and they said "wow, so cool ok let's do that too". And then the insane crowd densities. Such a fascinating failure of a game, must have been a nightmare to work on, though I have a real soft spot for it,.

Ok no fuck this, there’s some shenanigans going on with the poll. Jacob and Evie Frye were there, as was Bayek, but they’ve disappeared. I know I did Kassandra earlier but that disappeared and I had to add it back in. I go into edit the poll and there’s only 7 options but it won’t let me add more, as if there are ten (the max you’re allowed). 

4F129B3D-7F8C-4166-BD5A-F77C684C4B50.thumb.jpeg.73d9e1aa62c3ab382af259cd2990273a.jpeg

SHENANIGANS

I've finished all the mainline games with the exception of Valhalla (which I still haven't played) and have enjoyed all of the games to date.

In terms of a favourite I suppose it would probably be Brotherhood which I have recently played again as part of the excellent Ezio Collection (FPS boosted as well). Massively improved on the brilliant AC2 with the addition of the recruiting Assassins and building up the districts. It loses points for the "full synchronisation" shenanigans which were introduced for the first time in the series and make a 100% run through a royal pain (The timed Romulus shrines stand out as particular highlights).

Weakest? Probably AC3 with the large barren "wilderness" environments, although I did enjoy the story and feel a replay is in order with the remastered edition which also includes Liberation.

I did enjoy Origins and Odyssey (as bloated as they are) but do prefer the much simpler structure of the original games which is why its nice to go back and replay them after all these years.

Oh yeah, special shout out to Syndicate. Loved Victorian London setting and Evie Frye. Both her and her Brother reappear (in statue form) in Watch Dogs Legion as part of the Assassins missions which I thought was a nice link up between the two series.

8 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I've finished all the mainline games with the exception of Valhalla (which I still haven't played) and have enjoyed all of the games to date.

In terms of a favourite I suppose it would probably be Brotherhood which I have recently played again as part of the excellent Ezio Collection (FPS boosted as well). Massively improved on the brilliant AC2 with the addition of the recruiting Assassins and building up the districts. It loses points for the "full synchronisation" shenanigans which were introduced for the first time in the series and make a 100% run through a royal pain (The timed Romulus shrines stand out as particular highlights).

Weakest? Probably AC3 with the large barren "wilderness" environments, although I did enjoy the story and feel a replay is in order with the remastered edition which also includes Liberation.

I did enjoy Origins and Odyssey (as bloated as they are) but do prefer the much simpler structure of the original games which is why its nice to go back and replay them after all these years.

Oh yeah, special shout out to Syndicate. Loved Victorian London setting and Evie Frye. Both her and her Brother reappear (in statue form) in Watch Dogs Legion as part of the Assassins missions which I thought was a nice link up between the two series.

Is the Ezio collection also in 4k on the Series X?

Odyssey wins this by a mile for me.

Loved AC 2 and the Ezio era, ditto Black Flag but Odyssey is an absolute gem of a game, Kassandra being the ultimate protagonist. 

Yet to play Valhalla but I'll definitely get round to it eventually. 

Just now, Death Adder said:

You also missed Bayek.

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ok no fuck this, there’s some shenanigans going on with the poll. Jacob and Evie Frye were there, as was Bayek, but they’ve disappeared. I know I did Kassandra earlier but that disappeared and I had to add it back in. I go into edit the poll and there’s only 7 options but it won’t let me add more, as if there are ten (the max you’re allowed). 

4F129B3D-7F8C-4166-BD5A-F77C684C4B50.thumb.jpeg.73d9e1aa62c3ab382af259cd2990273a.jpeg

SHENANIGANS

See above. It’s the forum playing silly buggers. 

Ezio was great, Kassandra is better. Evie isn't as good as Kassandra.

I think Brotherhood is my favourite of the old style AC.  Odyssey the best of the RPG ones and the best overall. Among the awesome stuff, hunting down the cult was splendid and so were the turbo charged boats.

I'd had enough of AC when Black Flag rolled around so didn't play it at the time. Despite getting it as freebie, I bounced off it's opening in a 'still too tired of this' way.