IGNORED

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 2022

Doctor Shark

On 03/05/2022 at 15:40, Ry said:

Another Marvel film I will skip in the cinema probably. Just can't muster any enthusiasm. 

I don't know if it "means" much about general lack of interest - but Strange 2 is one of the most recent Marvel films I can remember that's not having midnight openings around here

15 hours ago, Tet said:

Liked this a lot. Bit cheesy, but hell, it's a comic book movie.

Easy to spot Raimi direction and some scenes are straight out of the comics.

Post credit scene was worth it :lol:

Do you mind if I ask a quick question - how essential is it to have watched Wandavision in order to see this movie?

My son's going to see this at the weekend and he's up to speed on most things Marvel (including What If) but hasn't yet seen Wandavision specifically. Is there anything here that will be confusing as a result or will spoil that show?

Quite essential I'd say, more than What If. It adds impact and motive. This whole film is a Wandavision spoiler.

Posting in here with my eyes closed.

Can someone who has seen it tell me in a spoiler tab with absolute zero details if the END credit sequence (not worried about time of mid credits sequence) is a must stay around for on a scale of 1 (Morbius), 3 (15 seconds of an Ant playing drums) to 10 (a 5 minute mini movie of the original Avengers fighting Xmen and the Fantastic Four that makes the airport fight in Civil War look like the worst scene in Thor 2.

6 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Posting in here with my eyes closed.

Can someone who has seen it tell me in a spoiler tab with absolute zero details if the END credit sequence (not worried about time of mid credits sequence) is a must stay around for on a scale of 1 (Morbius), 3 (15 seconds of an Ant playing drums) to 10 (a 5 minute mini movie of the original Avengers fighting Xmen and the Fantastic Four that makes the airport fight in Civil War look like the worst scene in Thor 2.

-1. It’s amusing, but not essential.

4 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

-1. It’s amusing, but not essential.

Thanks - I'm now leaving the internet for the next couple of hours and hoping my eldest Son having IT as his last lesson this afternon isn't going to be spoilerific.

Saw this a couple of hours ago and loved it - def felt like a Sam Rami movies in parts (if you have kids that do not like scares or gore then may want to watch beforehand)

one thing (and do not click before you watch the movie

Spoiler

I mean it do not click big spoilers

Spoiler

Reed Richard’s!! John krasinski was great I  thought in the role for all 10 mins he is on screen - def on board for a fantastic 4 movie with him as the lead - plus geeked out when I saw Xavier in yellow hover chair

I thought it was an OK film, 3D was a bit of a waste of time imo.

Lots of nice little touches throughout, I just found it dragged & felt as if you could've done a two part WandaVision episode instead.

And be warned it's not essential to stay for the end credits scene, I wish I'd read up online to save myself waiting for it.

As for the spoilers that made it round at the weekend.

Spoiler

I liked how the X-Men '92 theme played when Xavier rolled / hovered up!

I liked me some Reed Richards and would be very interested in seeing him back in the role and tying the franchise into the mainstream MCU.

Nice to see Blackbolt go out like a bitch! I let out a big LOL in the cinema and out of the five people in the screening it was clear I was the only one that thought it was mean't to be funny.

All a bit meh from me, sadly.

Spoiler

I think part of my issue just comes from the generalness of the Multiverse concept. I was excited to see Baron Mordo return to continue his rivalry with Strange, but alas he's from another universe so isn't the same one that we've known. And now I realise why Xavier never used the yellow hover chair in the original Xmen movies. It looks dumb as fuck. :lol: 

It's a very "Troll-y" movie. Particularly the way some characters go out. Was hoping in a mid credits scene we would get a Reed Richards in our Universe cameo, but alas, just someone I had to Google. 

Some great light horror stuff though. The only thing missing was the shot of someone flying backwards with a camera in the face. 

Liked Wanda as the top heel. Even if it was a little "Buffy Season 6" in places. I do wonder if she's done now or they'll find a way to bring her back.

Saw it today. At no point during the movie was I bored, but at the end I felt a bit letdown. Not one that I will be rushing to re-watch, but it's nowhere near the worst MCU. Its in that mid-table zone well safe from the relegation zone.

Its relationship with Wandavision with regards story and timing feels off somehow- and I thought slightly misogynistic?

I liked the way that the few holes in the plot were actually called out and referenced in the dialogue- top marks for honesty there.

The A-list casting for the character in the mid-credits sequence- wow! I saw no rumours of that at all.

The Illuminati casting- it's clear all of them were throwaway and novelty value alone- I doubt we see any of them again.

Just got out.

I liked it!  Mid-tier Marvel but I didn't expect anything else.  It beat my expectations given the reviews.

The plot was thin, and perhaps as I didn't watch WandaVision yet I had trouble reconciling the antagonist's motive.

Those things aside, it was a ton of fun - with lots of cool touches and surprises!  Respect to Sam Raimi for bringing his style to bear and to Marvel & Disney for accepting it.

Spoiler

OMG THEY PLAYED THE FRICKIN' X-MEN ANIMATED SHOW MUSICAL MOTIF, WHEN PROFESSOR X CAME OUT!  I look forward to hearing the whole thing when the MCU X-Men movies arrive.

Holy shit what a ride, its clunky as hell, but its bloody hilarious and then really dark and mean. That "battle" scene had me laughing out in how absurd it was, but typical Raimi. I'm surprised how much of Raimi's flourishes were evident too, knowing how tight MCU likes to control everything. I really enjoyed this even though I shouldn't.

I really liked this, story was quite basic but all the Sam Raimi influences and nods made is so much better.

Plus that scene and the subsequent 15 minutes or so was ace.

Gonna need to google the mid credits scene though, have no idea.

I really enjoyed this - it isn't the Dr Strange goes to loads of multiverses and meets characters from other stuff you've seen before over and over again, but instead its suprisingly got as much Raimi horror in it that an MCU/12 film would possibly allow (and a bit more that yo'd expect)

Its a bit of a mess and first half is clunky, but when we do get to meet a character from the trailer (which delivers nicely)then it becomes a wild, wild ride.

Visually it is stunning and I'm looking forward to watching it again just for that.

My kids really enjoyed it to - but it is gory and scary in places (one bit they were both covering their eyes in anticipation of a scare as they aren't used to that sort of tension).

Spoilery thoughts

Spoiler

I was a bit disapointed that there wasn't a bit more multiverse - be that a few more characters that he meets (be that big suprises or just throw away stuff) or just a bit more time in some of those places that him and America fly through near the start.

The Illuminati reveal was satisfying though and then their brutal, violent deaths was really well down as well as suprising.  I'm hoping that we will get Krasinski as the real Reed when they do FF.

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

In terms of all the stuff they say to watch before hand, how important is it really? Especially What If. I’ve not managed to sit through a single episode of that.

I'll put in in Spoilers, but no detail just which movies/shows should be watched.

Spoiler

Need to watch first Dr Strange and ideally Wanda Vision and can't hurt to have watched the other films Strange has been in - Infinity War/End Game and No Way Home, but that is really it in terms of main storyline.

I admit I was really gutted.....

Spoiler

The rumour of Tom Cruise being Iron Man was fake. He would have killed it.

Also.....

Spoiler

Reed's costume was too overdesigned, give me the classic suit. Hope Emily Blunt does plus Sue in the FF4 movie.

26 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I'm amazed at 

Hide contents

How gory Black Bolt's death was. Surprising for a Disney film!

Also seeing Prof X killed 😞

It's utterly amazing to be writing those two sentences haha

Going just before that as well

Spoiler
Spoiler

Also Amazing to write there was a scene where Black Bolt vapourises Dr Strange on Titan while Professor X, Peggy Carter Captain America, a Maria Rambau Captain Marvel and Reed Richards watch. Oh and Thanos's corpse is in the background.

13 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

In terms of all the stuff they say to watch before hand, how important is it really? Especially What If. I’ve not managed to sit through a single episode of that.

Spoiler

Wanda goes kray kray in Wandavision and gets Darkhold Book. Nuff said.

31 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

I'm amazed at 

Hide contents

How gory Black Bolt's death was. Surprising for a Disney film!

Also seeing Prof X killed 😞

It's utterly amazing to be writing those two sentences haha

I shouldn't laugh but 

Spoiler

Prof X was rocking that Steve Jobs look, should have stuck with the suit.

Also, another super cool comicky thing was when Prof X using his powers, it was emitting the circular waves you see in the comics. So cool.

• Doctor Shark changed the title to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 2022