IGNORED

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 2022

Doctor Shark

2 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

Just back from seeing this. I'm utterly mystified at the negative reviews, I thought it was great.

If you're at all a fan of superhero films, or at all a fan of Raimi, you'll enjoy this. If you like both, as I do, you're in for an absolute treat.

Yeah this, in a nutshell. I loooooved it.  Are some people expecting every film to be End Game now or something?

Spoiler

Huge audience reaction for the Reed reveal, inc. from this lady right here in row f.

Is Kermode and Mayo’s new podcast starting tomorrow? This seems like a perfect review for them to start off with, would love to have Kermode’s take on the horror elements.

I really hope that the 

Spoiler

Reed casting isn't just a bit of stunt casting, to appease the super-fans. Given that this is a multiverse iteration of Reed Richards, they could still completely recast it for the FF movies proper.

6 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

I'm amazed at 

Hide contents

How gory Black Bolt's death was. Surprising for a Disney film!

They really pushed the 12A envelope with this movie - balls of steel!

There were a few kids around 9-10yo in the audience of my showing - their mums were pulling them out of the screening room fast once the credits hit lol.

Absolutely loved this. Overly cheesy in parts (it is a Raimi movie), but what they did with Wanda was amazing, she fucking killed it! Raimi was the perfect director for this one - with one exception*. I'm also surprised how much they pushed the 12 rating here, it totally makes a mockery of The Batman's 15 rating here in the UK - and don't give me the whole "yeah but the tone" ... that's fucking nonsense, the BBFC got that one completely fucking wrong.

But back to this - I was surprised at ...

Spoiler

... the lack of "our" universe's other heroes. I was expecting Spidey to not only turn up, but have this film possibly address the issue from the ending of No Way Home. For me, it's interesting that they didn't go there because I can't imagine future Spidey films re-treading the "do I reveal my identity to my closest friends" trope. I certainly don't want any more of that. 

I had to google Black Bolt to see if I was right about the actor. I thought it was Anson Mount, but couldn't be sure. I had no idea that was the same character he played in the shit series I can't remember the name of and never watched. His death was fucking hilarious, everyone in my showing was pissing themselves! :lol: 

Wanda snapping Patrick Stewart's neck though ... oof! 

*A little too much male gaze. There's one shot that's just Rachel McAdams' arse in tight trousers. Don't get me wrong, she's got a lovely arse, but there was no need for her to take off her coat, or bend over for that scene. I'm genuinely surprised that made it past the editing room, and proper rolled my eyes at it.

This probably didn't benefit from me having seen Everything Everywhere earlier in the week. So bad luck to Marvel having a multiverse movie released at the same time as a genuinely inventive 5/5 one, not that they'll care.

I dunno about the MCU multiverse, just seems to be an excuse for lots of what Matthew Castle called "Look! It's Blorko!" moments rather than actually well constructed stories.

Raimi plays the hits, visually. Olsen is genuinely good, although the MCU has a bit of a problem with women, if you ask me.

The Multiverse of relative sanity.

12 hours ago, Timbuktu said:

Is Kermode and Mayo’s new podcast starting tomorrow? This seems like a perfect review for them to start off with, would love to have Kermode’s take on the horror elements.

Weirdly the new Dr. Strange episode was just up in the podcast app but I could not play it and shortly after it was removed again. 

Marvel should definitely take more risks with allowing directors having more creative freedom. Alone it shows style and identity to what is otherwise a stale formula, I can't credit Raimi enough for making this movie so stupidly fun.

Also people watch Raimi's Drag me to Hell if you haven't, same tone and wicked sense of humour. 

1 hour ago, PK said:

I can't believe they let Sam Raimi make a Sam Raimi MCU film

It's so good. I genuinely might go and see it again tomorrow

I’m going again this week just to drink in the visuals.

Reckon it will hold up well, especially unburdened with wondering if <famous multiverse version of a character> Is going to turn up.

I feel like I'm broken. I love the MCU, and admittedly a massive card carrying apologist for even its minor indiscretions, but I'm struggling so much with this next film phase apart from Spider-man. I do wonder if Infinity War and Endgame ruined things in a weird sort of way. But loads of people seemed to love Shang-chi and again I'm seeing the praise this one is getting too but I was a little disappointed overall. I don't know why cause I love Raimis style and you can see his finger prints all over this. The visuals were great and I did like a lot of what they were doing, but for some reason it just didn't click. 

Wanda was great, Lizzie Olson is so fantastic in that role and I really liked

Spoiler

that they went full House of M carrying on from Wandavision and having her going crazy. I never expected her to be the villian outright, the trailers gave none of that away, so that was a nice surprise. I didn't even mind her going over on all the other cameo heroes so easy either, it just highlighted more how powerful she is.

The Illuminati cameos were really fun too,

Spoiler

especially Krasinski. I'm so surprised they kept that under wraps. They better not have wasted that casting on that cameo alone.

A little annoying that they spoilt the Prof X cameo in the trailers though, that would have been an awesome moment, however I was just sat waiting for it to come cause I knew he was in it.

There's a lot to like about this but the story and some of the dialogue was lacking. I think narratively it was kind of weak and for being a Doctor Strange movie, Strange himself was among the least-interesting characters in it. I would have liked some more development for him, especially his relationship with Christine. If you haven't seen Strange's What If episode you'd have no idea just how much and why he loves Christine so much as the films have not developed that relationship one bit.

So whilst I really admire them going for a more horror style and not sticking to the usual formula, I actually think I enjoyed the first Doctor Strange more if I'm being honest.

6 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I feel like I'm broken. I love the MCU, and admittedly a massive card carrying apologist for even its minor discretions, but I'm struggling so much with this next film Phase apart from

Spider-man.

Hide contents

they went full House of M with her going crazy and never expected her to be the villian outright, the trailers gave none of that away. So that was a nice surprise. I didn't even have her going over all the other cameo heroes so easy either, it just highlight more how powerful she is.

Hide contents

especially Krasinski. I'm so surprised they kept that under wraps. They better not have wasted that casting on that cameo alone.

I think a lot of it is expectation and hype. A bit of Fox Mulder syndrome.

Remember people left the cinema after Phantom Menace completely overjoyed. Realisation set in later.

the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-i30592.jpg

This was fucking amazing. A full on Sam Raimi superhero film. They’ve really allowed directors to do something different with the MCU lately:

Eternals - austere meditation on life

Shang Chi - homage to king fu cinema

Doctor Strange 2 - wicked horror-comedy

I really enjoyed how they used the magic powers of the characters to do some really visually inventive stuff. I actually cared about everyone, and they all had well explained motives. 

The fan service was top notch too. And Wong was on top, accidental comedy form:

Spoiler

fOrTiFy YoUr MiNdS!

I’ve convinced myself Wong is the real power in the world. Most times we see him, he’s going or coming from somewhere, no doubt pulling all the important strings. Respect the Wong. 

Something I liked about this film is that, at times, it felt like a genuine sequel to the first Dr Strange film (which I fucking love), with various callbacks, the best one for me was ...

Spoiler

... In the first film, when Strange is first fighting Caecilius, he grabs a glowing chalice, which really gives Caecilius pause until ... "you don't know how to use that, do you?"

Well, other Dr Palmer knows exactly how to use it!

BOOM!

:D

58 minutes ago, cassidy said:

As a massive San Raimi fan. I really need to see this movie. 

You're going to absolutely love it. The last 10/15 minutes in particular is just

sam-raimi-cp-6780880.jpg

Also at the half 4 showing I went to in Folkestone one young man had a whitey thirty minutes in and stumbled out of the cinema with a plaintive cry of "Love you!" to his partner, who stayed for the whole thing with her friend.

It's that good!

5 hours ago, Hexx said:
  Hide contents

WHat did Mom-Wanda say to Scarlet-Witch Wanda at the end?

Spoiler

I think it was “They will be loved” referring to the kids.

5 hours ago, PK said:

Also at the half 4 showing I went to in Folkestone one young man had a whitey thirty minutes in and stumbled out of the cinema with a plaintive cry of "Love you!" to his partner, who stayed for the whole thing with her friend.

It's that good!

How'd you manage to spend 2 hours in those seats! They're like a full body Vulcan death grip, but flat.

5 hours ago, PK said:

It's that good!

What is a whitey?

That was ok. Strange is kinda dull, but I like Wanda a lot so the plot was relatively satisfying. Bits of tonal whiplash with the comedy/superhero/horror blend. Didn’t lean into the concept as much as I’d have liked and America didn’t have much going on. Great visuals, kinda cheesy dialogue, weird attitude to women, so it’s a Sam Raimi movie. 6/10

• Doctor Shark changed the title to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 2022