IGNORED

16 bit and earlier games that would have scored 10/10

Ketchup

3 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Seriously, a sequel to a platform game, and one that’s barely more than a reskin of its predecessor? Edge would’ve given it a negative review similar to the one in GamesMaster issue 1.

😂 OK maybe not a 10. But a reskin. Please.

11 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Turrican probably yes but depends what was around that was contemporary on consoles at the time.

In 1990? Well, it had eye-catching presentation for an Amiga game of the time, but comparing across formats, it was easily outclassed by console games even by then. It’s very, very derivative of several earlier games too (Psychonics Oscar, anyone?). No multiformat magazine in 1990 would’ve thought Turrican was anything more than an Amiga hardware demo.

On 22/12/2021 at 19:51, Droo said:

I’d say super mario bros. 1 on the NES is a master class in game design.

it’s still completely playable today and I’m more likely to play it than Mario 3 or Mario world.  They are arguably better, but the sheer simplicity of design of the original is amazing  

I completed this recently. Hadn't completed a game since Deus ex 1 back in early 2000s.

You are right, it's amazing. All the fun seems to come from how fun mario is to control. Which seems to be the key to quite a few Nintendo games that I like.

What's bonkers is how crap so many platformers are compared to it.

18 hours ago, nakamura said:

F-Zero on SNES is mega and a far better game than many give credit for. 

It is, and there was nothing like it at the time. While I adore it, and still play it regularly, I'd say it's not a 10. Now Super Mario Kart probably should be.

22 hours ago, Quest said:

ghedge.jpeg.e2b5d73f2c78ea8b9db55ba2801ce711.jpeg

You'll feel no great urge to return to it, they say, about a game I've probably finished about fifty times.

Yeah, this one's pretty egregious. It's an incredible game, one of the best of its kind, and a technical tour de force. Possibly not a 10, but 6? Go home, Edge, you're drunk.

Donkey Kong '94 would get a 10 in any other magazine. It's one of the top three games on the original Game Boy and one of the best platform games, full stop. Would Edge have thought it was The Future? I don't think so (although lots of its moveset ended up crucial to Super Mario 64).

Nobody should read anything into Edge’s Gunstar Heroes review, at the very beginning there was an ethos in the magazine than 2D 16-but games were by their very nature archaic and disposable. They were not The Future. 

if Gunstar Heroes came out now from some indie developer on Steam it would be a 9. But back then a 6.

15 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

Nobody should read anything into Edge’s Gunstar Heroes review, at the very beginning there was an ethos in the magazine than 2D 16-but games were by their very nature archaic and disposable. They were not The Future. 

if Gunstar Heroes came out now from some indie developer on Steam it would be a 9. But back then a 6.

That does call into question the whole metric of Futureness when reviewing stuff. Plenty of games should've been the future and weren't. Some were the future and shouldn't have been. And it's impossible to see which will be which. The anti 2D bias was wild back then, I recall a Dreamcast mag saying Street Fighter III looked terrible. With hindsight, the PlayStation games that have aged most gracefully are the 2D ones.

Here it seems that Gunstar Heroes is getting knocked for its perceived longevity (which I think also was the case for Super Metroid). I'd hate to be a reviewer now knowing that internet randoms will be questioning your sanity based on something you wrote thirty-odd years into the future...

I digress horribly here. Mega Man 2 should've scored highly, although we in the UK never seemed to warm to the games for some reason.

12 hours ago, nakamura said:

Play it on master level. 

Unless that adds a lot more AI it's not going to solve the main issue.

11 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Turrican, you utter fucking pricks! Turrican! 

That and Stunt Car Racer. 

Nah, Stunt car is deeply flawed as a game even for the time.  Its driving model is STILL a standout but as a game it's got major problems.  The damage system is stupid, especially the persistence and once you get out of division 3 then it's basically luck to get around a couple of the courses with moving elements.  And even then the bits of the courses that aren't "normal" it's simply a case of remembering the magic speed for each jump and fall.

Play Divisions 4 and 3 today and you'll love it but beyond that you'll quickly realise the flaws that stop it being a 10.

3 hours ago, Camel said:

Super Mario Kart definitely.

Edge 6/10 blates. 

I know it's utter heresy but, we're I a game reviewer, I couldn't in good conscience give it 10/10. Having played it relatively recently (I worked my way through the series as far as Wii a few years ago) I found the outright cheating of the AI exceptionally frustrating and, while I'm aware it's caused by the limitations of the hardware, the track layouts are more than a touch samey. 

Those early NHL and John Madden games were pretty ground breaking and still play well today. 

The thing with sports games though, is that they're quite iterative. The best ones are usually a few iterations along the line so are no longer something original. 

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Edge 6/10 blates. 

I know it's utter heresy but, we're I a game reviewer, I couldn't in good conscience give it 10/10. Having played it relatively recently (I worked my way through the series as far as Wii a few years ago) I found the outright cheating of the AI exceptionally frustrating and, while I'm aware it's caused by the limitations of the hardware, the track layouts are more than a touch samey. 

I award this post an Edge wrong/10.

7 hours ago, Dudley said:

Unless that adds a lot more AI it's not going to solve the main issue.

It makes the game constantly challenging, one mistake and you're wrestling for position. Rarely is there nothing on screen. It's arguably the most real racing experience of the time. It's phenomenon. 

1 hour ago, Camel said:

I award this post an Edge wrong/10.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game. The graphics, the sound, the whole style of it, the way the game feels to play and that you could hand it to a complete novice to gaming and they'd be able to play it straight away, the sheer technicality of it, the characters, the fact it is the UR example of the genre and everything that's come since is just an imitation - all brilliant. No questions, just fantastic. 

But it's far from perfect. If it just had tight rubber banding, it would be a better game. But instead, what it does is blatantly cheat. You can go into the last lap half a lap ahead of the next nearest Kart, fully coined up, drive out of your skin without putting a wheel wrong and still get passed as you approach the line by a Kart that should be slower than you. There's always been the criticism of the GT series that it's hard to get a good race, and I'd level the same against Super Mario Kart. 

I've also never been a fan of the mixture of a points based championship with the arcade style have to finish in the top four or you lose a life thing. 

It's at least an 8, probably a 9, but not a 10.

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game. The graphics, the sound, the whole style of it, the way the game feels to play and that you could hand it to a complete novice to gaming and they'd be able to play it straight away, the sheer technicality of it, the characters, the fact it is the UR example of the genre and everything that's come since is just an imitation - all brilliant. No questions, just fantastic. 

But it's far from perfect. If it just had tight rubber banding, it would be a better game. But instead, what it does is blatantly cheat. You can go into the last lap half a lap ahead of the next nearest Kart, fully coined up, drive out of your skin without putting a wheel wrong and still get passed as you approach the line by a Kart that should be slower than you. There's always been the criticism of the GT series that it's hard to get a good race, and I'd level the same against Super Mario Kart. 

I've also never been a fan of the mixture of a points based championship with the arcade style have to finish in the top four or you lose a life thing. 

It's at least an 8, probably a 9, but not a 10.

To be fair that's not REALLY true on the SNES one, although rubber banding is certainly there.

On the newer ones they're absolutely 6/10s except in multiplayer.