IGNORED

16 bit and earlier games that would have scored 10/10

Ketchup

Yeah, if you can knock them late enough in the race that they don't finish the best CPU it really confuses the game.

And actually this is one of the things I like about F-Zero X, a huge field that doesn't rely on the same cpu finishing 2nd every time.  Especially with the full reverse grids.

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game. The graphics, the sound, the whole style of it, the way the game feels to play and that you could hand it to a complete novice to gaming and they'd be able to play it straight away, the sheer technicality of it, the characters, the fact it is the UR example of the genre and everything that's come since is just an imitation - all brilliant. No questions, just fantastic. 

But it's far from perfect. If it just had tight rubber banding, it would be a better game. But instead, what it does is blatantly cheat. You can go into the last lap half a lap ahead of the next nearest Kart, fully coined up, drive out of your skin without putting a wheel wrong and still get passed as you approach the line by a Kart that should be slower than you. There's always been the criticism of the GT series that it's hard to get a good race, and I'd level the same against Super Mario Kart. 

I've also never been a fan of the mixture of a points based championship with the arcade style have to finish in the top four or you lose a life thing. 

It's at least an 8, probably a 9, but not a 10.

I agree with everything you said, but I think it still deserves a 10. It basically starts a whole subgenre pretty much fully formed, and the multiplayer is just amazing.

You are 100% correct though.

Like anything from that era that wasn’t twitch gaming, I could never really get into TSAM despite loving the whole idea. I successfully negated my attention issues enough to get into Laser Squad a couple of years so I might have have to give it another spin.

Yeah if there's one thing I've learned from 3 years of playing old games in modern contexts it's that the less arcadey a game, the better the chance it's not aged super well.

A modern remake of TSAM could be astonishing.  You could argue that's what GTA5 heists are but I'm still thinking top down.

3 hours ago, squirtle said:

Never had any problems with the interface on the C64. Icons were clear, easy enough to switch between characters and set stuff up. A real pleasure to play. Would be perfect for mobile.

The issue was mostly in the setup, choosing characters where there are multiple pages of text etc.  This was indeed on Speccy so maybe the 64 version fits it all on a screen.

I've always been perfectly satisfied playing as Toad (or Koopa in the unlikely event of a co-op player picking Toad).

can race okay with Mario/Luigi and better with Kong/Bowser but if I'm playing seriously I'm Toad because his ground traction seems to make drifting around / gaining and maintaining speed easier / more natural. At least for the ways I like to tackle the tracks.

The CPU opponents 'cheating' AI theory doesn't really hold water for me personally; their behaviour is consistent and predictable, and rubber banding & item/luck reliance is far less pronounced in this OG version of the game than others.

The CPU opponents would be cheating if they were warping from location to location during the race but all they do is stick roughly to their assigned position in the line up throughout the race while trying to stop you from breaking away way into an uncatchable first place. 

As a Toad player my main assigned enemies are Princess and Kong, and Bowser tends to hang out near or at the back. If I really give Princess or Kong a spanking during the race Luigi may step up and take over their position assignment, depending on the current point situation. 

As an aside, I'll always remember the incredible way this game handled a scenario I've never been able to reproduce:

Mushroom Cup, 1-5, Mario Circuit 2:

SMK_Mario_Circuit_2_Lower-Screen_Map.png.48c2183875a1526d3e3244027e578797.png

The CPU players always take the same racing line over the jump, so it's possible to do a targeted hit on someone by laying a green shell at the right spot and have them balls the jump up. It's a sweet move that can guarantee a tastier victory by spreading points thinner amongst your opponents. In single player mode you can even watch the poor sap crash into the shell, get boosted into a lower place behind and sometimes bash themselves against a wall or two in a panic while they adjust themselves.

Anyway the cool thing this particular time on this course was that due to the green-shell-laying trap being a few pixels off from the CPU opponent racing line, none of them hit it as planned - they instead all shuffled around the shell, altering the optimum trajectory for the successful jump and not being able to complete the lap at all. One by one every CPU player got stuck in a loop, all taking that jump wrong and headbutting themselves as they prepared for the next failure.

So, that race, only me and Player 2 got any points at all. Everyone else got 'ERROR' points, which was counted as zero towards their overall cup scores and the ending / credit sequence played as normal. 

The above does not describe the behaviour of a cheatin', lyin', backstabbin' videogame. It describes the behaviour of a true rare breed champion of videogames, a game which keeps it real even when you break it.

On 25/12/2021 at 10:27, Dudley said:

Yeah if there's one thing I've learned from 3 years of playing old games in modern contexts it's that the less arcadey a game, the better the chance it's not aged super well.

A modern remake of TSAM could be astonishing.  You could argue that's what GTA5 heists are but I'm still thinking top down.

I suppose Payday 2 is a modern take - but if you could set paths/plans from a top down view it would be even better

On 25/12/2021 at 13:22, Ryan said:

From the C64:

Creatures 2

Mayhem in Monsterland

Impossible Mission

Elite and Exile were both already mentioned, and were both amazing games at the time.

I agree with Impossible Mission. It just worked really well on the hardware. Maybe Paradroid too.

I’m not sure about Creatures though. It looked (and sounded) great, but the actual gameplay wasn’t that special compared to contemporary console stuff. I never played Mayhem.

8-bit micro games I’d imagine would’ve gotten a 10 score had Edge existed in the olden times: Star Raiders (400/800), Knight Lore, Sentinel. 

(Particularly Knight Lore – it was superseded by similar but more refined isometric games fairly quickly, but imagine laying eyes on that for the first time in 1984.)