IGNORED

EDGE #367 - Elden Ring

Keyboard Koala

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I totally remember this! The month or so after the release of Fellowship… EDGE printed a bit of a drive-by “review” of the film absolutely slating it, like they couldn’t resist! 

Man, speaks volumes. 

Haha; yeah I remember EDGE thinking the first movie was terrible as well. It actually kept me from going to see it for months, until a few friends convinced me it was actually fantastic. I couldn't have agreed more. 

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Haha; yeah I remember EDGE thinking the first movie was terrible as well. It actually kept me from going to see it for months, until a few friends convinced me it was actually fantastic. I couldn't have agreed more. 

Hah yes! 
Take this and apply it to an unending list of Videogames over the span of years and years and you basically get why I’m so cynical towards this Magazine! 

Merry Christmas everyone! 🎅 

5 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

There is nothing wrong with an outlet holding these silly things to a more lofty standard. There is nothing wrong with an outlet, in the process of doing so, getting things wrong from time to time, whether in the moment or in hindsight. Both the medium and the discussion and criticism around it have been greatly improved by Edge’s existence and we’d be much the collectively poorer for its absence. 

Edge til I die. 

Merry Christmas. 

Well said.

3 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

There is nothing wrong with an outlet holding these silly things to a more lofty standard. There is nothing wrong with an outlet, in the process of doing so, getting things wrong from time to time, whether in the moment or in hindsight. Both the medium and the discussion and criticism around it have been greatly improved by Edge’s existence and we’d be much the collectively poorer for its absence. 

Edge til I die. 

Merry Christmas. 

Nah, fuck you, you fucking fuck. :lol:

And Merry Christmas!

On 24/12/2021 at 00:22, Keyboard Koala said:

vlarge-EDG.jpg

Play: Halo Infinite; Solar Ash; Battlefield 2042; The Gunk; Fights In Tight Spaces; Heavenly Bodies; Space Warlord Organ Trader Simulator; Clockwork Aquario; Dungeon Encounters; The Eternal Cylinder; Sherlock Holmes Ch. One; Unsighted; Cruis'n Blast; Dap; Toem.

Space Warlord Organ Trader Simulator sounds like a fairly niche crossover. 

5 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

My remark really wasn't meant as a reproach mind. I wouldn't have it any other way either.

Back when LotR was released, I was only a student (and a lot less critical of other opinions), and pretty much took everything game related EDGE said to be true.

In fact it was still a time when people discussed games in grotty indie stores rather then on the internet, and sometimes when there was a big release coming up and everyone was being enthusiastic about it, I could be the spoilsport arguing that Edge was less optimistic. It was typically met with "Here comes the Edge fan club" in response.

8 hours ago, Phantoon said:

I really like Edge and generally respect the scores (or at least the reasoning behind them). It's just with twenty-odd years of reviewing history you'll see some whacky stuff.

Lol, I respect their stance on not settling but they did go back and give a lot of retrospective 10s a while back to games they believed deserved them.

2 hours ago, Corrogate said:

Lol, I respect their stance on not settling but they did go back and give a lot of retrospective 10s a while back to games they believed deserved them.

That makes their reviews more trustworthy to me. Hindsight is a huge benefit here, and admitting mistakes were made is a big thing.

I do wonder now that the medium is more mature if we'll see wildly strange scores anymore. Now we're out of the wild experimentation phase, will there be future classics that will misunderstood to the same degree?

21 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Speaking of EDGE, I saw this the other day 

I totally remember this! The month or so after the release of Fellowship… EDGE printed a bit of a drive-by “review” of the film absolutely slating it, like they couldn’t resist! 😂 

Man, speaks volumes. 

Dave Edge was and is still right.

This is out now. Halo Infinite gets 

Spoiler

8/10. The other review of note is something called Dungeon Encounters which gets a 9. Not heard of that one.

And their game of the year goes to 

Spoiler

fucking Deathloop. What is it with this game that I don't get? It's so fucking frustrating to see it topping GotY lists. I feel like I'm missing some secret that makes Arkane games such critical darlings. I know I'm not alone with being underwhelmed by this game - it's popping up regularly in the Disappointed Games of 2021 thread - so what is it that we're apparently overlooking?

Arkane make great games - Deathloop doesn't appeal to me, but Dishonored and its sequel are some of my faves. 

I do think there has to come a point when you kind of have to look at your output, realise that no-one wants to buy the damn things and probably should contemplate a bit of a redirection as to what to do next though. I'd really not want them to vanish (although with MS's purchase of Bethesda I guess they might be fine?), but surely something's got to change in order for them to survive.

7 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Arkane make great games - Deathloop doesn't appeal to me, but Dishonored and its sequel are some of my faves. 

I do think there has to come a point when you kind of have to look at your output, realise that no-one wants to buy the damn things and probably should contemplate a bit of a redirection as to what to do next though. I'd really not want them to vanish (although with MS's purchase of Bethesda I guess they might be fine?), but surely something's got to change in order for them to survive.

I think that's exactly why they decided to make 4 player online co-op game next. As a fan of their emergent sim-like single player experiences, I think that's a damn shame.

I also believe that being bought by Microsoft most likely saved them from becoming an Elder Scrolls support studio. As part of game pass they're most likely free to continue making critically acclaimed emergent sim experiences.

Tbh I've kind of stopped trusting reviews for nostalgia games, we had Halo Infinite get loads of 10/10s, GTA: Remastered and Balan got some really overly positive reviews too. I think the problem is everyone in the media is in their 40s or 30s, if you're younger and had no nostalgia for these things and want to review games you probably just go to Youtube where you can do that but also might be able to own a Lamborghini.

It's kind of the opposite problem from back in the day, where people would fly off the handle at Zelda getting an 8.8 out of 10 as overly harsh due to fanboyism or whatever, now we've got people going "come the fuck on" as someone gives the worst fucking platformer you've ever played 8.8 because it's by a guy who did something they played when they were young.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Wut? I mean, wort? Did 4 and 5 seriously score higher than 8? You wort mate :lol:

i totally understand 2 getting a 9 because of the mp despite the campaign

I could be wrong, but for some reason I have it in my head that none of them have scored below a 9 before.

Edit: Or what K says.

14 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Tbh I've kind of stopped trusting reviews for nostalgia games, we had Halo Infinite get loads of 10/10s, GTA: Remastered and Balan got some really overly positive reviews too. I think the problem is everyone in the media is in their 40s or 30s, if you're younger and had no nostalgia for these things and want to review games you probably just go to Youtube where you can do that but also might be able to own a Lamborghini.

Didn't GTA and Balan get a kicking from a lot of places? Or at least a shrug. Their metacritics are pretty low.

35 minutes ago, JPL said:

Is that the lowest score Edge have ever given a Halo?

7 minutes ago, K said:

I think Halo 4 & 5 both got 8/10 in Edge. 

E#199:

On 07/02/2009 at 08:51, Treble said:

Halo Wars - 7

E#305:

On 25/03/2017 at 09:34, Mr Do 71 said:

Halo Wars 2 - 7