IGNORED

EDGE #367 - Elden Ring

Keyboard Koala

18 minutes ago, Oz said:

I like halo but an 8 is really generous for them isn't it?

No, that’s the lowest score they’ve ever been given. All the Bungie ones received a 10, I think.

You're assuming they just completely ignored the multiplayer game. I mean they've pretended Guilty Gear Strive doesn't exist but Halo Infinite multiplayer is free so I think they could have afforded it in their operating budget.

7 hours ago, Broker said:

I feel like it’s really noticeable how the magazine industry has changed, paying £6.20 for a copy of edge that is thinner and cheaper feeling than I remember it being. The quality of the print materials is still good, but it doesn’t feel as good. Ad the news and stuff just feels totally pointless.

Great Elden Ring piece though.

I beg your pardon? :o

Can’t say I agree with you about the news articles being pointless - they don’t really cover mainstream news subjects that often, it’s usually focused on smaller stories, niche events or developer-centric stuff - supported by good access - that would otherwise slip through the cracks. Not always the most thrilling of reads, in my opinion! But definitely serving a purpose unfulfilled by websites and forums, and I usually feel better informed afterwards. 

5 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

Nah, only 1 and 3. 2, ODST and Reach didn’t. 

Fair enough. I think my point still stands though, that an 8 for a Halo isn’t generous from Edge, it’s the lowest, the mainline games anyway, have ever scored. 

1 hour ago, geldra said:

Is this copy fully sold out (at magazinesdirect) already or has it not gone up for sale yet?  Most prev issues are available to buy but not this edition (367). 

Sold out I'm afraid. The only option of still getting one is in the shops or on eBay.

I've not read Edge for many years, but after listening to mrbasil_pesto on the excellent The Back Page podcast talk about his Skyward Sword review, and losing myself in RDR2 over Xmas I thought I'd try and find those reviews online, and it made me wonder if there was an online archive. The iPad app offered me all back issues since 2009 for £55, so I accepted. (Looking at this thread now I don't know if readly would have made me a better offer or not). Anyway, I opened up this month's issue, turned straight to the Edge awards, and the first words I see are "titular portmanteau". Edge is back, baby!

(If anyone wants to point me towards any amazing stuff from the last 12 years, let me know!)

Back issues on Readly only go as far as Feb 15, but there is a 2 month free trial I believe for new subscribers, so horses for courses I guess.

I have been using it for years after finding the four magazines (including Edge) that I subscribed to monthly were all on there, which took my spend at the time from over £20 a month to about a fiver.

Still no sign of the latest issue, just logged on to ask for a replacement and it says it's out of stock. This will be at least the 4th month in a row my issue has been several days late. I will contact them to see what they might recommend. This service is currenlty in the toilet and it will be a terrible shame to cancel a subscription I've had for more than 15 years.

2 hours ago, reef said:

Still no sign of the latest issue, just logged on to ask for a replacement and it says it's out of stock. This will be at least the 4th month in a row my issue has been several days late. I will contact them to see what they might recommend. This service is currenlty in the toilet and it will be a terrible shame to cancel a subscription I've had for more than 15 years.

I finally received mine today so hopefully it will arrive with you soon.

On 07/01/2022 at 15:03, Richard said:

I finally received mine today so hopefully it will arrive with you soon.

Got mine today. Oof. I've totally lost track of when it's supposed to come though so I guess I don't really care.

I picked this issue and last month's. - my first copies of Edge since about 2012 I reckon - in two separate branches of WHSmiths. Probably a good bet that your local branch will have it in stock. I found supermarkets weren't stocking it though. 

Do you guys think I should get this on PS4 or PC? My PC has a RTX 3060 card so should be buff enough right? (Steam doesn't have the specs up yet). But I only have a 1080p monitor right now. Will PS4 (Pro) let me play at 4K? If I play on PC, will it be closer to the PS4 or PS5 experience? Anyone know anything about this yet?

Playing a From game on my 22" PC monitor will be a bit strange after I've played everything from DS1 onwards on my 65" downstairs TV. But will the presumable increase in graphics quality make up for it?

Or just bite the bullet and (somehow) make this the reason I upgrade to a PS5? (or buy a better monitor for my PC?) 

Decisions decisions!

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Do you guys think I should get this on PS4 or PC? My PC has a RTX 3060 card so should be buff enough right? (Steam doesn't have the specs up yet). But I only have a 1080p monitor right now. Will PS4 (Pro) let me play at 4K? If I play on PC, will it be closer to the PS4 or PS5 experience? Anyone know anything about this yet?

Playing a From game on my 22" PC monitor will be a bit strange after I've played everything from DS1 onwards on my 65" downstairs TV. But will the presumable increase in graphics quality make up for it?

Or just bite the bullet and (somehow) make this the reason I upgrade to a PS5? (or buy a better monitor for my PC?) 

Decisions decisions!

PC with a 3060 will destroy the ps4 pro version. PS4 Pro couldnt even do 60fps on Dark Souls 3

Also just plug the PC to the tv with a HDMI cord and use a pad to solve the screen issue? Or stream to the tv?

43 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Decisions decisions!

I'm going with PC as 4k and, most importantly, a minimum 60fps is important and the few previews I've seen suggest that will be a struggle for the PS5. As Uzi says you should easily get 60fps + with your GPU, especially if at 1080p, but, yeah, the real answer is plug your PC into the TV. I did that 18 months ago and it was a game changer given that (some) TV's are 120Hz and G-sync compatible, as well as the benefits of 4k HDR etc...

47 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Decisions decisions!

I didn’t think the PS4 beta was that clunky (and I was using a base PS4), but if you’re confident that your PC’s got the juice, go for it. :)