IGNORED

Does your cinema still show 3D movies?

JohnC

I'd kind of forgotten about all this until I noticed in movie credits that at least some movies are still getting converted to 3D. Neither of my locals have shown a 3D movie for a long time, at least a couple of years now. Have yours given up on it?

Vue specify on each and every showing of every single film on the current roster that it’s in 2D. Unclear if that’s because they still regularly show things in 3D or just haven’t bothered removing the marker.

Odeon presumably also have nothing on in 3D, as it seems they just show the time unless there’s something else worth mentioning (Subtitled, IMAX etc).

I’m pretty sure Endgame was in 3D at both (not that I watched it in that), but have no idea if anything has been since.

The only other cinema in town is for “serious film” and won’t show anything that doesn’t tick at least two boxes out of independent, subtitled, black and white and documentary, so never lowered itself to showing such things in the first place.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 3D screening listed on my local cinema's website (the Light Cinema chain).

The last one I saw was Doctor Strange in 2016. I hadn't been planning to see it in 3D, but when I got there for a morning screening in opening day, they told me that there were issues with the 2D copy and directed me to a screen showing the 3D version instead.

I hope that when Avatar 2 comes out I get to see it in its HFR 3D version. I saw the second Hobbit film at 48fps, and found it a novel sensation.

I've been cursed with it for years, because my local Showcase only showed movies in 3D on the XPlus screen, and I don't think any other screens are worth bothering with. Consequently pretty much every 'big' film I've seen there in the past decade has been in 3D. However, we just had a new ARC cinema open that's a ten-minute walk from me, and they seem to have no interest whatsoever in 3D screenings. That's where my money's going from now on.

Perhaps it's a COVID issue, with the added hassle of sanitising hundreds of pairs of glasses?

I noticed this too, and I can’t even recall the last 3D film I watched at the cinema. I can understand it with IMAX as you would use the cinema’s glasses, and with Covid I could see that being an issue. However, with the usual Real 3D screenings you take your own £1 glasses so I guess it’s just dying out.

I can’t say I miss it that much. I had a 3D telly but when it went bang I just replaced it with a normal OLED.

37 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I hope that when Avatar 2 comes out I get to see it in its HFR 3D version. I saw the second Hobbit film at 48fps, and found it a novel sensation.

Yeah, I probably saw half a dozen films in 3D and Avatar was the only one clearly made to be viewed in 3D rather than just having some 3D effects thrown in (one particular shot of looking down at the forest  floor from high up in a tree really stands out; the 3D really made it look like it was hundreds of metres down, but you don’t get that at all in 2D), so I’d like to see the sequels in it.

1 hour ago, Tempy said:

I noticed this too and I can even recall the last 3D film I watched at the cinema. I can understand it with IMAX as you would use the cinema’s glasses, and with Covid I could see that being an issue. However, with the usual Real 3D screenings you take your own £1 glasses so I guess it’s just dying out.

I can’t say I miss it that much. I had a 3D telly but when it went bang I just replaced it with a normal OLED.

Seems to be really rare to find a 4k telly that does 3D anyway.

Mine does the full range of gimmicks: 3D, IMAX, 4D. I don’t even know what the last one is but I assume it’s them shaking your chair around while spraying water in your face. 

All the tickets cost about £30 and come with free Covid so I just wait for stuff to come out on Netflix.