IGNORED

Old Games That Shamelessly Stole Their Music

Tomdominer

I thought this would be a fun retro discussion: Games that shameless stole their music from real songs. My first experience of this would be Double Dragon 2, the tune from the first level of the game, the heliport. I remember the tune, amongst others arcade music, was on an old speccy cover tape, and I listened to it a fair bit. Thought it was a standout track!

A few years later, I was rather taken aback when I heard "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins. Utterly shameful rip off, in my book. (Although some of the DD2 youtube comments implied that the composer might have actually have sought permission).

And the second tune if from the second level of Parappa the Rapper. "Instructor Mooselini's Car Rap".

I was driving in my car listening to 6 music, when this old Can single came on the radio. "Turtles Have Short Legs".

I was (again) utterly taken aback. But, it seems reading the parappa the rapper fandom wiki, it seems they actually sampled the song, which makes total sense, as its ridiculously similar.

I'm pretty sure there is another song I am forgetting. Anyway, do you guys know of any old video game music that shameless ripped off pop tunes back in the day?

If we're mentioning Sonic, then Sonic 3's Ice Cap Zone being a straight lift of an unreleased Jetzons track is the (in)famous one: 

Great track, you can see why Jacko ripped it off.

47 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Tim Follin's "Smoke On The Water" riff in LED Storm:

Huh, I'd never heard the C64 theme before. Surprised that it's, well, that; considering the Atari ST version, also credited to Follin, is completely different:

Rydeen by YMO in at least 3 games:

Stryker’s Run

Daley Thompson’s Decathlon

Super Locomotive

The BGM from Perplexity on the BBC Micro is Golden Brown by the Stranglers played in reverse:

On a similar Beeb/Stranglers note, the BGM on Spellbinder is Midnight Summer Dream:

@Sureshot Sega actually legitimately licensed Rydeen for Super Locomotive. No stealing involved in this case.

In another case of no theft but related to the above is the fact that Sega hired Ryuichi Sakamoto to produce the Dreamcast's BIOS / System sounds. I only discovered this recently and it reminded me Rydeen & Super Locomotive.

Yep, I saw that recently too!

And the world of boot up sounds is filled with interesting artists. Famously Windows 95's start-up sound was composed by Brian Eno, of course, but I was delighted to learn recently that Susumu Hirasawa (probably best known in the West for soundtracking the films of Satoshi Kon) was responsible for the (mid-2000s zombie OS) AmigaOS 4.0 boot sound:

22 hours ago, Wiper said:

If we're mentioning Sonic, then Sonic 3's Ice Cap Zone being a straight lift of an unreleased Jetzons track is the (in)famous one: 

Great track, you can see why Jacko ripped it off.

A member of The Jetzons worked on the Sonic 3 soundtrack and just re-used old material he had for that stage.