Old Games That Shamelessly Stole Their Music

Tomdominer

22 hours ago, Quest said:

A member of The Jetzons worked on the Sonic 3 soundtrack and just re-used old material he had for that stage. 

Yes. I was going to post this. Brad Buxer (of The Jetzons) worked with Michael Jackson, which is how he wound up being part of composing the Sonic 3 soundtrack. His work (and others on Jackson's sound team) continued even after Jackson left the project.

It's all good, K-Pop producers are now possibly, maybe, probably pinching stuff from old Gameboy games. The circle of life.

I don't really give a shit about supposed music plagiarism though. Most attempts to tackle it are pure poison and should be resisted.

On 28/12/2021 at 02:44, spanky debrest said:

@Sureshot Sega actually legitimately licensed Rydeen for Super Locomotive. No stealing involved in this case.

In another case of no theft but related to the above is the fact that Sega hired Ryuichi Sakamoto to produce the Dreamcast's BIOS / System sounds. I only discovered this recently and it reminded me Rydeen & Super Locomotive.

Martin Galway heard the rendition of Rydeen in Super Locomotive at an arcade in Manchester.

After getting a job at Ocean, his first task was to write loading music for Daley Thomson’s Decathlon In Julie Dunn’s* player.

He remembered the melody of Rydeen and recreated it.

Then when his former school friend Chris Roberts wanted music for a BBC game, Martin did it again.

*was known as David Dunn back then.

5 hours ago, Quest said:

It's all good, K-Pop producers are now possibly, maybe, probably pinching stuff from old Gameboy games. The circle of life.

I don't really give a shit about supposed music plagiarism though. Most attempts to tackle it are pure poison and should be resisted.

If we're going to go there then this at 0:45

Sounds very similar to this

There's also this

which "inspired" this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Jones

One of the music tracks (subtune from "Star Dust" in C64, the same as "The Wall" in MSX) was sampled by German electro project Zombie Nation for their 1999 single "Kernkraft 400".[2] Florian Senfter ("Splank!") later paid an undisclosed sum to David Whittaker for the use of the melody.

Big oof!

I knew of that similarity and that the MGS music and its composer were changed, but I didn't know the similarity was presented to them so blatantly like that - and for it to be filmed and published!  No wonder they changed it - the face they lost there was big!  LOL the shame.  Looks like a big fuckup from KONAMI PR as well.

It's a pity in some ways as "TAPPY"'s soundtrack was brilliant and played a big part in the series ID - but you can see why they needed to go after that.

BLAAATANT!  Does make you wonder what more amazing game music there could be, were 'official' pop writers hired to do the melodies more often.  SEGA played a blinder getting Dreams Come True and *cough* Michael Jackson for Sonic games.

That Ariston ad one is funny - I remember and loved the Ocean Robocop game and music, and I remember that Ariston ad very much - apart from its music!  How wild!

On 27/12/2021 at 19:48, merman said:

Mikie - songs were officially licensed, for the Japanese market.

Agreed.

I have the Konami arcade PCB and it has a JASRAC sticker on it. I looked into it several years ago and they’re a music licensing company or something like that.

6 minutes ago, roberthazelby said:

Agreed.

I have the Konami arcade PCB and it has a JASRAC sticker on it. I looked into it several years ago and they’re a music licensing company or something like that.

The British version is PRS for Music Limited (formally The MCPS-PRS Alliance Limited) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRS_for_Music

Most countries have societies that collect royalties and administer rights management on behalf of musicians ever since the introduction of piano rolls at the start of the 20th Century. Video games were a bit murky for a long time being considered too small fry or niche to enforce. It's definitely a thing now which is why more recent versions of Bomb Jack had the Beatles cover music removed (and come to think of it that's probably why Elite chose to get Mark Cooksey to write an original score for their C64 port.)

On 01/01/2022 at 21:27, deKay said:

Other way round, but we all know this one right?

The guy who directed the advert said he just sampled it directly from the headphone jack on his GameBoy.

This also reminded me I made this when it popped into my head a few years ago on hearing the other track on the radio. They pretty much line up without much editing.

http://sndup.net/64q3

Actually, not to go on a tangent here, but the visual style of that advert is also based upon a Oscar-winning (1980) animated film called "Tango" by Zbigniew Rybczyński 

The technical improvements in a few years are amazing.

13 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Heh, I've heard those two independently a lot, but I never made that connection. :D 

I always felt like this was something I instantly recognised and thought, cool. However, if it transpires to have been pointed out in the Zzap review then that's memory for you!

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably only just about retro, but the galaxy map music from Mass Effect sounds extremely similar to 'The Dream is Always the Same' by Tangerine Dream:

The Tangerine Dream tune sounds particularly close to the map music at around 1.10. I guess it must be hard to make ambient music like this without owing a significant debt to Tangerine Dream, but this must have been the inspiration.