IGNORED

Wordle - free daily word game (see link in first post)

Jamie John

29 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I had the same thing happen that a lot of people have had today. I got four of the five letters on the first three guesses, and then put in a series of words that could have fit, but didn't get the wordle (for the first time) and lost my streak, which was on 37. I think this is a bit poor. I thought maybe it was my fault, but the fact that it has screwed a lot of people over today, it looks like this was a poor choice of word. It's annoying to fail at a puzzle game through no fault of your own.Β 

Β 

Does anyone else feel that Wordle has actually dropped in quality since the NYT fiddled with the word list?

Β 

Β 

I see what you mean but I don't think it's any worse than that time everyone got -IGHT and then failed it because it could have been:Β 

Β 

WIGHT

EIGHT

RIGHT

TIGHT

AIGHT

SIGHT

FIGHT

LIGHT

BIGHT

NIGHT

MIGHT

Β 

Just one of those things.Β 

Β 

I was insulated from the worst on today's one because my starting word happened to eliminate a few of the possibles for position 4. Still didn't get it until attempt 5.Β 

I guess the tactic to avoid the trap once you realise its one of those, would be to turn off Hard mode if you have it on, and try words which have multiple potential gap fillers. Then you could spend a few guesses getting rid of potentials.

Β 

Edit - didn't realise Garfoowoo just said this!

32 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The best option in cases like this is to try a completely different word that has several of the potential letters in it, to try and get a yellow and work out what the right one is - rather than just trying random guesses and hoping for the best.

Β 

While this is true, it does mean that hard mode - whether you've actually switched the option on or are just enforcing it yourself - becomes a complete lottery when you end up in this situation and there's nothing you can do about it. That feels like a bit of a flaw.

Β 

But I do agree, and we should have done so this morning. Not hugely precious about the streak but still a bit annoyed at myself for being unnecessarily purist about it.

5 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Β 

I see what you mean but I don't think it's any worse than that time everyone got -IGHT and then failed it because it could have been:Β 

Β 

WIGHT

EIGHT

RIGHT

TIGHT

AIGHT

SIGHT

FIGHT

LIGHT

BIGHT

NIGHT

MIGHT

Β 

Just one of those things.Β 

Β 

I was insulated from the worst on today's one because my starting word happened to eliminate a few of the possibles for position 4. Still didn't get it until attempt 5.Β 

Yeah. I got it on turn six with what I believe was the only possible word left, having fortunately ruled out a few vital letters before getting into that chain of only having Β the 4th letter to guess. I do try to make sure my opening guess has common consonants as well as as many vowels as I can, but I think it was still mainly luck!Β 

7 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I guess the tactic to avoid the trap once you realise its one of those, would be to turn off Hard mode if you have it on, and try words which have multiple potential gap fillers. Then you could spend a few guesses getting rid of potentials.

Β 

Edit - didn't realise Garfoowoo just said this!

You can't turn on hard mode once you have started, so it probably won't let you turn it off after a guess either.

I sat for ages looking the last guess in the face with no fucking clue.

Β 

Wordle 244 6/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Β 

Spoiler

STARE

CLONE

VOGUE

GOBBY

WODGE

Wordle

Β 

Embarrassingly I spent ages trying to decide if words like Hodge or Podge were real words, and worrying that they would be if I tried (but obviously weren't it) before I realised that sometimes words can have repeat letters.

Β 

What a twat.

1 hour ago, Commander Jameson said:

Wordle 244 5/6

Β 

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©

πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Β 

I was struggling to come up with word combinations of the remaining letters for the last guess. I made another error in forgetting to use my yellow letter from the third guess.

Β 

Just stick "hard" mode on to stop that happening.

Β 

A 5 for me, again I thought I was done for.Β 

6 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I sat for ages looking the last guess in the face with no fucking clue.

Β 

Wordle 244 6/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Β 

Β  Hide contents

STARE

CLONE

VOGUE

GOBBY

WODGE

Wordle

Β 

Embarrassingly I spent ages trying to decide if words like Hodge or Podge were real words, and worrying that they would be if I tried (but obviously weren't it) before I realised that sometimes words can have repeat letters.

Β 

What a twat.

Snap! Only I failed to realise. :(

Β 

Wordle 244 X/6*

Β 

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩