Rate the Terminators!

Captain Kelsten

Rate the Terminators!  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm back with another rating topic, this time for the wildly uneven Terminator franchise!

When making this topic (at the suggestion of @Nick R) I realised I haven't actually watched any Terminator film since Terminator 3 came out. It was bad enough to kill the franchise dead, for me. Therefore I've had to google everything about Salvation, Genisys and Dark Fate so apologies if I get something wrong but really who cares because they're all guff anyway.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I'm impressed you could rememeber anything about the later films. I voted for Bale as John Conor, not because he's good in that role (I've not seen the film) but for his rant that came from it.

I've not even seen them - as I said in the original post, I had to google plot/characters/endings!

1. Best film = Terminator 2 but this was so close, I prefer the first in many ways but the second one just pips it for me, especially in the vehicular mayhem stakes.

2. Best Arnie Terminator - Terminator 1

3. Best Sarah Connor - Terminator 2 

4. Best bad guy - T1000. 

5. Best one liner - Come with me if you want to live T2 (though personally I'm a big fan of responce... FUCK YOU 'AZZHOLE' of course.)

6. Best John Connor - Terminator scarred up badass Michael Edwards

7. Best ending - Terminator 2 - Sarah and John drive into the sunset, hopeful for the future now that Judgement Day won't happen

8. Best Kyle Reese - Michael Biehn

Split between T1 and T2 for me. Mostly T2. T1 always surprises me by how good it is whenever I watch it, but T2 has such a special place in my childhood. It also has the best ending:

Spoiler

👍

Deserves another question: which is the best cut of T2?

Spoiler

Theatrical, obvs.

And perhaps ‘best post-T2 film?’. That would be a tough one.

The first two are obviously so far ahead of the others that they might as well be a different franchise, but… Dark Fate is surprisingly enjoyable in a ‘I fancy a cheap but tasty burger and chips’ kind of way.

And think Grace is the best thing to happen to the films since T2’s smiling Arnie.

Looking forward to the ranking of Alien films thread.

2 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

The only close choice I had was T800 or T1000, because as iconic as T800 is I bloody love the T1000. In the end it was T800.

Controversially I think T3 has the best ending.

Actually I agree with this, T3 having the best ending, just the fact that however it plays out they cannot stop the war.

The first two are clearly streets ahead of the others, and on a different day I could go for either as the best. 

But… there are still some positives in the other films. 

T3 is a lot better than people give it credit for, and if they’d stripped out the bad jokes it would have made a big difference. 
It was good to see some early T variants, and the ending in the bunker with nukes going off, then the radio messages has a real weight to it. 

I thought the opening of Genisys with alternate versions of key scenes was a really nice start before it all went to shit. 

Dark Fate was a fairly solid 7/10 action film with some good female leads and it sounded like they had a different conclusion to the war with the machines planned for the third film that we’ll never get. 

I’m a massive fan of the first four films. Obviously the first two are in a league of their own,  but I’ve always found 3 and 4 to be extremely entertaining.

The last two can do one though. Just poor films with only a smattering of good ideas. 

6 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

T3 is a lot better than people give it credit for, and if they’d stripped out the bad jokes it would have made a big difference. 
It was good to see some early T variants, and the ending in the bunker with nukes going off, then the radio messages has a real weight to it. 

And sorted out some of the awful writing/setup: Clare Danes knows John Connor, and their paths cross the same night the terminators are sent back to, that’s fine, but her dad also happens to be the top general who gives the order to activate Skynet. Why is all of this necessary?

One of my favourite little bits of writing in T2 is when Sarah Connor breaks out the same night John and the T-800 come to save her, but: it’s set in motion when she’s shown a photograph of the T-800 earlier in the day and steals the paperclip attached to it. Love that.

T3 was a lightweight film with a far better ending than I was expecting. Quite jarring to see the nuclear apocalypse finally happening and Skynet taking over when you consider the jovial tone they were going for with moments like Arnie's Elton John specs.

26 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Your ending description for T2 really should include the Terminator saying goodbye to John, then Sarah lowering him into the pit. 

I mean, why, why would you even type that? Now I'm very aware of all the dust in this room.

R.gif

I don't think we'll EVER get a film with the same tone as T1 again will we? Would be interesting to try reboot the series and attempt to capture that tone again.

edit : probably no need is there. If anything, I would just create a new cut of the original but redo the end battle, that's really the only bit that doesn't hold up well. 

For me I think the original always wins, because it's more a product of my time. But I think I prefer the T-800 massively - partially because it's just more sinister looking (the molten metal look is kinda benign despite the nifty tricks). But also the T-800 gets the message of relentlessness across better. It absolutely will not stop (unless you destroy it on a very fundamental level). It loses all sorts of very vital-looking bits and still keeps going, whereas the T-1000 can only ever lose "some of itself" because any of it is the same of the rest of it. If it loses another few hundred grams there's still plenty left. It's not like losing an eye, or your skin, or your organs, or your legs.

Edited, for more detail.

Does anybody give a shit about any of the movies that aren't Terminator and T2?   Every additional sequel which gets made can only happen because the first two movies were so good, do they add anything?   I say this as someone who totally checked out after the one with Christian Bale in it that I've seen and almost entirely forgotten. 

The Original Terminator all the way for me.

The only slight consideration I had was whether to plump for the T3 ending, which really did deserve a better film and John Connor delivering it.  But I also love the ‘A Storms Coming’ ending of the original and so went for that in the end.

Out of the later films I did quite enjoy the last one and would put it on a par with T3.  The other two were utter shite though.

Just now, Naysonymous said:

Does anybody give a shit about any of the movies that aren't Terminator and T2?   Every additional sequel which gets made can only happen because the first two movies were so good, do they add anything?   I say this as someone who totally checked out after the one with Christian Bale in it that I've seen and almost entirely forgotten. 

Try the last one it basically ignores everything after T2 and is better for it.  Certainty infinitely better than the Bale one.