IGNORED

Poll | GOTY 2021 | Should games released earlier than 2021 be included in the GOTY vote?

Treble

Should games released earlier than 2021 be included in the GOTY vote?   

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/12/21 at 17:49

Hades on PS/Xbox is just a port of a game that didn’t originally release this year. Seems a bit strange to me to put it on the 2021 GOTY list. It has its due in the year it first released, it’s functionally still exactly the same game. 

I don’t see the problem myself. If a game can get enough votes to have an impact from being released on a new platform in 2021 then it’s clearly found a significant new audience and should be allowed. If that’s not the case then it won’t have any impact anyway (how many people are realistically going to vote for Ocarina of Time, for example). 

28 minutes ago, Radish said:

Hades on PS/Xbox is just a port of a game that didn’t originally release this year. Seems a bit strange to me to put it on the 2021 GOTY list. It has its due in the year it first released, it’s functionally still exactly the same game. 

Ok, so what about MS Fight Sim, should that not be allowed either on Xbox because it came out on PC last year? 

I voted yes in the hope of a united 2020/2021 bonanza since it's been so difficult to get Xbox and Sony hardware due to shortages and scalping that I'm playing catch up on PS5 stuff :)

That and I think I only played 3 (good ones, mind) games that came out this year :D

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Ok, so what about MS Fight Sim, should that not be allowed either on Xbox because it came out on PC last year? 

Correct 👍🏻 Flight Sim is a 2020-ass game from 2020 for sure. 

Both that and Hades got MASSIVE coverage and plaudits last year on their respective platforms. What more is there to say about either? It’s all a bit different to Hollow Knight, which seemed to be totally glossed over until it landed on Switch. I don’t think Edge even reviewed it until the Switch release right? Again, Among Us seemed to be similar. Was out for a while before it crossed over into zeitgeist territory. Hades and Flight Sim have had their time in the zeitgeist and it was last year.

Poll's closed and the vote is definitive: no games outside of a 2021 initial release date in any system will be included in the GOTY vote!

36Ja.gif.f6d4db98e6c50cd97e7e08e13294bf1b.gif

I'll adjust the criteria in the voting thread itself. Hopefully this referendum has smoothed everything out, with the 'winners' confident in their choices, and the 'losers' sagely agreeing to go along with the consensus, as that's what happens in these situations, right? 

...right? 

Didn't need to remove any from mine, but I've added Binary Domain, Monster Train and Dead or Alive 3 to Category B. Just like The People wanted! 

I was tempted to put in Hades just to annoy the apparently large number of people who can't stand the idea of it being voted for again, but in the end figured I should pick games I actually played this year ;)

Fortunately, I believe that counts as a 'from the ground-up' remake, so should be eligible for category A.

Per:

...episodic, early access games, and remakes (ie built from the ground-up in a new engine) are all eligible providing they first appeared in 2021 ONLY.

Edit: though, imagine if it turned out it was in fact a (weirdly expanded) port, and so you could in turn now play Skyrim in Unreal Engine by modding The Forgotten City.

Sigh. I mean, after the furore by the 'leave' campaign over the slim chance Hades might scrape, I dunno, fourth in the GOTY poll, thus essentially forcing a referendum, can't you all see the irony of arguing over something so comparatively trivial for a second time? 

It sucks all the fun and joy out of the process; a process that ultimately means absolutely nothing and is meant as a light distraction from the real world. You know, the place where you're forced to engage in arguments over trivial stuff, which is why we need escapism in the first place?! 

Again, sigh. 

But this bullshit needs a ruling, so here goes: Bowser’s Fury IS permitted in category A. You are to explicitly state you're voting for BF by removing the Super Mario 3D World bit from the title or I'll stick it in cat B. 

Now, no more rule changes. Just stop, I'm tired.