IGNORED

Gaming Predictions 2022 - and 2021 recap

Qazimod

All kinds of mixed results for me last year. I feel like most of my guesses were fairly safe bets but the predictions life is rarely smooth. Again, try to predict things that probably aren't going to be confirmed by the end of today ;) and there are no prizes, it's all for fun.

My 2021 recap:

Balan Wonderworld is released to a mixed reception. I mean, on the one hand this is reflected in the metascores, but a lot of the "positive user reviews" are pretty sus, so I'm not sure if I win here?

Enhance Games provides some news and updates on Humanity but it isn't released in '21. Did they provide updates? Really? Chris Hemsworth face?

No Switch "Pro" hardware refresh next year. Not whilst the existing hardware is selling so well. Duh.

Nier: Reincarnation is released!... but either it's unavailable in the UK App Store or my device doesn't meet the requirements to run it. Oops!

"Uncharted 5" Nope!

So yeah, not a great result for me. But that won't stop me trying again! :omg: 

Persona 6 gets its first for-realsies unveiling.

The unveiling is every bit as vague as the Persona 5 chairs. PS5 and Switch.

Street Fighter VI. It's announced.

Everyone is Luke. Still no 2D sprites, because Luke. And time, and money. We're all too busy playing Ultimax anyway.

Enhance Games provides some news and updates on Humanity but it isn't released in '22.

We go again.

Tunic actually gets released this year!

Pretty confident about this one since the demos I've played have been pretty solid. Everyone ignores it because it doesn't have Zelda in the title.

Babylon's Fall and Forspoken both get released to Partridge shrugs all round. Yellow metascores by the end of the year.

I feel like this isn't even that controversial.

On 01/01/2021 at 16:38, bradigor said:

Sony re-brand PS NOW to take on Xbox Game Pass and sign up a large publisher to support it - Close ish

Nintendo try a GamePass style sub and do it in the most Ninteno way possible - Sort of

New Mario spinoff title announced and realased with a couple months. Likely Mario Golf - Nailed it

Panel De Pon FINALLY gets a modern release - Fuck you

Persona 5 Strikers does super well on Switch and P5 is announced for Holiday 21 - Hahahaha

Ubisoft bought by Microsoft who clear out the upper management of the company - Nope

Various Zelda remasters / remakes announced + Zelda 35 style offering - Nintendo didn't care.

Panel De Pon releases

Enhance do something new after finishing Tetris Effect

EA Football goes pure F2P and ditches single player normal  modes - Rebranding EA Ultimate Team 23

It will still be impossible to walk in to a shop and just buy a PS5/Xbox/30 series GPU

Elden Ring will break the internet by having an easy mode. 

Halo Infinite’s DLC will be amazing

Unpacking will get a sequel where you put everything back in boxes and put it in the fucking loft. 

Edit: it’ll be called “Why Did I Keep All Of This Shit?”

Here's the previous year for me. I'm considering the yearly predictions thing a bust now that GOTY categories are now split.

Anyway:

- Final Fantasy Origins: Stranger of Paradise will get a lukewarm critical reception because of how it looks and how hammy the script is, but actual players will fucking love it because it's co-op Nioh and it's had multiple playtests to get shit right. Large schism in how it reviews per demographic, let's say by a factor of two (so if the Review Metacritic is 70, User Metacritic would be 90).

- Tekken 8 will be announced. Harada will say some shit about rollback not being considered and everyone tells Namco to fuck off.

- Dying Light 2 will end up being godawful due to developmental hell, Techland gets bought up by a Chinese conglomerate or shuttered.

- Ubisoft, Activision or EA implement NFTs in an actual game. Let's say Rainbow Six, Call of Duty and FIFA Ultimate Team franchises respectively. Industry weeps as normies gobble it up because it's in their favourite regurgitated videogame.

- Hardware shortages continue to suck complete dick. Only company that deals with it properly is Valve with the Steam Deck, but still struggles to get orders out to everyone by the end of 2023 (although early adopters get their units by June).

- Because of the above, Sony continue to diversify their software sales. Big games eventually end up on PC storefronts - Ghost of Tsushima and Returnal by end of this year, Gran Turismo 7 by the middle of 2023, which solidifies the Geforce Now leak as real and keeps people excited for Demon's Souls/Forbidden West.

- Tim Sweeny says some shit that will invoke a class action or lawsuit against Epic.

Elden Ring is the highest rated game of the year.

Breath of the Wild 2 gets delayed to Q1-Q2 23.

We get an in game teaser for Metroid Prime 4. It does not release in ‘22.

Rockstar do not show anything of GTA6.

Ongoing Covid issues cause some release date slippage of key titles in the first half of the year.

PSVR2 is shown fully - hardware, games etc - but does not release till ‘23

No ‘pro’ models announced for PS5, SX and Switch.

A new 3D Mario game is announced.

A new Call of Duty gets announced (sorry but at least I’ll get one right)

Overwatch 2 gets a confirmed ‘23 release date.

Halo Infinite campaign DLC is released.

God of War 2 gets a Q3 release date.

Resident Evil 4 remake is confirmed and then released Q4 ‘22

A new Resident Evil is also announced.

Last years wasn’t bad.

for this year then…

1. You know that stacked February, it’s not happening.  At least two major games slip past the end of March.

2. God of War Raganok reviews better than Horizon Forbidden Ubisoft Clone.

3. BOTW2 slips into 2023.

4. Starfield shows the problems with the Bethesda narrative approach, taking more from Fallout (bleak, cynical) than Skyrim. It’s as buggy as a buggy thing (it’s a Bethesda game) and hilariously divisive. If only because there will be a forum war or two because it’s an exclusive. I’ll try it, then bounce off it because it’s not GOTG levels of polish or story.

5. GTA Online Next Gen edition launches and passes with barely a comment. who cares?

6. GTA 6 isn’t announced.

7. No switch pro is announced.

8. PSVR2 doesn’t get released, but we do get a teaser.

9. Microsoft, fresh off a year of not buying anyone, buy someone.

10. It’s been a while since Mario Odyssey, so Nintendo announce Odyssey 2.

11. Bonus Prediction: Kotick retires to spend more time with his money.

I said this:

PS5 GOW:Ragnarok doesn't launch in 2021

Neither does Horzion: Forbidden West

Gran Turismo is a no show in 2021 too

Namco tease a Ridge Racer related announcement but it's a massively disappointing mobile game or something (again).

I really hope I'm wrong.

First three were right (but some of the easiest predictions to make) and the last was wrong. It was actually Wipeout that ended up with a random mobile offering.

As for this year, easiest prediction to make is that NFTs are going to stink up the gaming world.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/12/2021 at 17:31, footle said:

Last years wasn’t bad.

for this year then…

1. You know that stacked February, it’s not happening.  At least two major games slip past the end of March.

2. God of War Raganok reviews better than Horizon Forbidden Ubisoft Clone.

3. BOTW2 slips into 2023.

4. Starfield shows the problems with the Bethesda narrative approach, taking more from Fallout (bleak, cynical) than Skyrim. It’s as buggy as a buggy thing (it’s a Bethesda game) and hilariously divisive. If only because there will be a forum war or two because it’s an exclusive. I’ll try it, then bounce off it because it’s not GOTG levels of polish or story.

5. GTA Online Next Gen edition launches and passes with barely a comment. who cares?

7. No switch pro is announced.

8. PSVR2 doesn’t get released, but we do get a teaser.

9. Microsoft, fresh off a year of not buying anyone, buy someone.

10. It’s been a while since Mario Odyssey, so Nintendo announce Odyssey 2.

11. Bonus Prediction: Kotick retires to spend more time with his money.

Bing!

and another hopeful Bing! for point 11.

• 1 month later...
On 31/12/2021 at 12:19, Qazimod said:

Street Fighter VI. It's announced.

Everyone is Luke. Still no 2D sprites, because Luke. And time, and money. We're all too busy playing Ultimax anyway.

Well, Ryu was there too! And it looks like 3D models again…

On 31/12/2021 at 14:28, Mr. Gerbik said:

Street Fighter VI will be revealed to a lukewarm reception

Hide contents

:hat:

Ding ding ding! And the year has barely started.

On 31/12/2021 at 18:31, footle said:

Aw, that's a shame. And the year has barely started.

• 1 month later...
On 31/12/2021 at 12:19, Qazimod said:

Tunic actually gets released this year!

Pretty confident about this one since the demos I've played have been pretty solid. Everyone ignores it because it doesn't have Zelda in the title.

Boom. Well, aside from the Zelda bit perhaps.