IGNORED

Gaming abstinence challenge: buying just 12 games in 12 months in 2022. Clear your pile of shame!

Jamie John

I bought Burnout Paradise Remastered for like 3 quid from the PSN store but I’m not counting it because I already own it on 360, Xbox One and Switch and I only bought it so I could muck around on it with a PS5-owning mate for a couple of hours last night. Already have my 3 quid’s worth.

:lol:

Not sure if this is allowed so I won't provide any links but I'm currently doing a Year of Shame, this means zero money spent on games this year, playing nothing  released on paid subs post Jan 1st etc, also doing a podcast with a few like minded chums.
I put all my accounts into GOG Galaxy and have well over 1500 games, think I'll be fine....

13 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Not sure if this is allowed so I won't provide any links but I'm currently doing a Year of Shame, this means zero money spent on games this year, playing nothing  released on paid subs post Jan 1st etc, also doing a podcast with a few like minded chums.
I put all my accounts into GOG Galaxy and have well over 1500 games, think I'll be fine....

I'm also aiming for a zero spend year, although I will continue to claim free and subscription games (I have PS+ & GP Ultimate). Generally every game I buy ends up being free before I get around to playing it properly anyway.

43 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

26 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I'm also aiming for a zero spend year, although I will continue to claim free and subscription games (I have PS+ & GP Ultimate). Generally every game I buy ends up being free before I get around to playing it properly anyway.

Damn, that really is a commitment. You both picked a hard year to not buy any games, given some of the releases that are coming up. Best of luck!

What's the podcast, @mechamonkey?

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Damn, that really is a commitment. You both picked a hard year to not buy any games, given some of the releases that are coming up. Best of luck!

What's the podcast, @mechamonkey?

This is just the intro , theres a proper episode now too. were doing different versions but my aim is what I said, before spend nil (I'm Dave)
Don't expect anything remotely professional :)

First games of the year finished. Admittedly these were titles I played at the start of my Covid isolation just before Christmas and could pour in loads of play time. Should finish Ratchet and Clank soon-ish as that was another one I started before Christmas, and Inside and Katamari are both fairly short. 

Bought

Nothing... yet. 

Currently Playing/Progress
Ratchet and Clank 
Inside
Monster Hunter Rise

Katamari Damacy Reroll

Fallout 4 - 30 hours in

Zelda BOTW: 80 hours in, one Divine Beast down

Stardew Valley - up to Year 2

Darkest Dungeon - up to first DD stage

Nioh 2 - up to third region 

Completed

Skyward Sword HD
Pokémon Shining Pearl
Guacamelee 2

The Dirty Backlog

An asterix denotes something unplayed

PS4/5

Fallout 4
Nioh 2
Spiderman UE*
Ratchet and Clank
Resi 2*
Resi 3*

Elden Ring* (pre-purchased last year)

Switch

Breath of the Wild
Darkest Dungeon
Stardew Valley
Monster Hunter Rise
Obra Dinn
Inside
Into the Breach*

Civ 6

Xbox
Hitman 1-3

Anyone wanted to check out my pile o' shame on Backlogged, and see how my initial good intentions to clear it throughout the year fall apart around May amidst a deluge of cheap sale purchases, can find my profile here:  https://www.backloggd.com/u/Parksey/

On 02/01/2022 at 16:11, Ninja Doctor said:

Purchase 1: Doki Doki for switch physical edition £14 (+£20 from Amazon - I cancelled the Zelda game and watch and got this instead).

no more buys until February or until Just Dance 22 gets a heftier markdown on ps store. 

Might have fallen off the wagon a wee bit:

Purchase 2: charity shop full set of Xbox 360 rock band instruments and rock band 1, 2 and Beatles. £50. 

Nothing now until March I promise. 

Nothing bought yet for me either

Backlog started - Resident Evil Village, Little Nightmares 2, The Long Reach, Dirt 5 (both PS4 and PS5 versions) and Uncharted Lost Legacy all completed with Platinum achieved.  Outlast Insane run finally done

Cyberpunk 2077 resumed with aim of getting the Platinum

First purchase probably Uncharted Thieves Collection on PS5 at the end of the month

I'm going to give this a go. My backlog is an embarrassment and every time I see something cheap I end up buying and adding to it.

I've created a Backloggd account too: https://www.backloggd.com/u/BrixtonRifles/ I should stress, this is nothing like my actual Steam backlog or anything. This is just what immediately came to mind. I honestly think I have an issue at times.

Small caveat: I've got about £20 in Nintendo Switch eShop credit from Christmas, and I'm not gonna count purchases made with that. But everything else I will.

I used this last year more to finish games. But having a queue of games lined up for the next few months really helps you think twice about buying something new. If you really want it, you'll find a way to fit it in. 

Just having a bit of a lull in gaming due to being away the last couple of weeks made me terrible for buying tat. I only had time to look at the eShop and not play anything. 

Luckily, I already have a method of only buying on sale games already on my wishlist so I only got 4 very cheap ones, while culling just as many from the list as apparently I didn't want them even that cheap. But time-wise, it's an utter waste as I'll never get around to them. 

I'm not really in a gaming mood at the moment so I'm worried I'll still be buying. So did this https://www.backloggd.com/u/AK_Bell and for now just going to focus on Guardians of the Galaxy if I'm on XBX and Paper Mario on Switch. As long as they are on the go, I have to reason to buy anything else. 

think I'm going to try this. I do think I've got a bit of an out; insofar that I have two children that also enjoy videogames and sometimes our tastes overlap and I'm not going to stop them getting what they fancy. But you just gotta be true to yourself innit, and as long as I, personally, only buy 12 games specifically for me I'll class that as a pass. 

Done one o'them backloggd things if anyone fancies a follow. 

https://www.backloggd.com/u/JollyNiceSoup/

Just had a quick browse of what's coming up retail wise and can already see that I'll find this tough! Elden Ring, Triangle Strategy, Advance Wars, Ghostwire Tokyo and Bayonetta 3 all feel like deffos. And I'll inevitably feel the need to play BotW 2 - despite not loving the original. Hoping Game Pass can cover me on the smaller, interesting curio stuff. 

First purchase of the year and it's not a new game and it's also one that I have played to death already 🤦‍♂️

1. Capcom vs SNK Card Fighters Clash (Nintendo Switch)

Only cost £4.19 with the judicious use of some Nintendo points though and it is one of my all time favourites so it will definitely get plenty of playtime.

In terms of the backlog I am working my way through Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch) and Pathfinder: Kingmaker (PC). Early days but going OK so far.

I've got to say that I'm finding it very hard not to buy some of the games from last year that are on my wishlist. Kena BoS has been pretty cheap recently and someone's put a copy in the Trading folder for £20 which I very nearly snapped up (thankfully it's been bought to save me from the temptation). It's so easy to just click 'Add to basket. The hunger to by games is definitely there, even though I only bought a one just last week and there's been a load of stuff added to GP recently that I want to play.

It's a disease!

5 minutes ago, DarkCrisis said:

Indeed, I couldn’t resist Last of Us Part 2 from PSN for £22.50 with the expectation there will be a cheap upgrade to expected PS5 version later in year.

I thought they already updated it for 60 FPS and so on? I can't see what else they would do.

I remember reading that they going to release a native version when they release the rumoured Multiplayer mode, regarding what they could do with single player I guess better looking and faster loading. Either way it’s there for me to play but I won’t be playing it soon so guess I should have ignored deal. 

2 weeks without a purchase, 50 to go 😅

I think once I lose the shopping ‘addiction’ it’ll be easy, I own a lot of titles I want to play and they will last me for years. 

Now playing: God of War

13 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I made this much simpler for myself: don’t buy games and only play GamePass games in 2022. Microsoft is certainly helping, they’re killing it with releases. 

That's an endgame goal for me, but with GoW 2, BOTW 2 and Elden Ring all due this year, I know I couldn't do it.

51 minutes ago, AlexM said:

2 weeks without a purchase, 50 to go 😅

I think once I lose the shopping ‘addiction’ it’ll be easy, I own a lot of titles I want to play and they will last me for years. 

Now playing: God of War

Yeah, for me, there's the buzz of buying something new. That little dopamine hit that comes with a gaming purchase.

I've completed Halo Infinite and The Gunk this year from GamePass and am currently working through The Medium.

Should get that done in a few evenings and then I need to choose what to play after that. It'll probably be Metroid Dread. I'm trying to not think about "what's next" while I'm playing through something and it's working well so far.

Uncharted Legacy of Thieves (my January purchase) should be completable before Horizon Forbidden West too.

4 minutes ago, AstroBot said:

no probs!  My rule is only buy sub £20 unless I really really want it. 

really enjoying using backloggd so thanks for that,

But it was £20, not sub-£20! 😮

Two weeks no purchases here too. Started Vampyr last night (Christmas epic feeebie) and thoroughly enjoying it thus far. 

Would really like God of War on PC, but having played it on PS4 a few years back happy to wait for sales later in the year. 

Finally got around to sorting my backloggd account out https://www.backloggd.com/u/clarkjpeter/ 68 games in my backlog and only 53 completed games.

I have also made the decision to remove my achievement/trophy notifications as I have found myself buying games on PS5 even though they on Gamepass just for the trophies.

Decided to go down the follow route from now on.

PS5 - Sony Exclusives + Must buy third-party games

Series X - Microsoft Exclusives + Gamepass Games

Switch - Nintendo Exclusives + Must buy indie games

Hopefully that should stop myself repeatedly buying the same games over and over and play the games that fit the platform best.

Does backloggd allow you to import your various libraries or is it a manual process? 

I currently use the GOG Galaxy client and tag games to categorise them, which is relatively painless.