IGNORED

Gaming abstinence challenge: buying just 12 games in 12 months in 2022. Clear your pile of shame!

Jamie John

7 minutes ago, AlexM said:

Does backloggd allow you to import your various libraries or is it a manual process? 

I currently use the GOG Galaxy client and tag games to categorise them, which is relatively painless. 

Manual, sadly.

Let's give it a go!

Purchases

1. Returnal
  2. KOF 2002 UM Steam

Backlog

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I haven't played a Zelda game from start to finish since Twilight Princess - it's about time!
  • Lost Judgment - I'm not expecting anything from this after Yakuza LAD spoiled me with turn-based combat and a bonkers story. I'll also be cheating my way out of any classic Yakuza combat I can 🍆

Still not bought any games this year, Dying Light 2 is tempting as a potential purchase but will wait for reviews before deciding

Certainly helping with the backlog though as 10 games completed so far, some were started last year

18 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Still not bought any games this year, Dying Light 2 is tempting as a potential purchase but will wait for reviews before deciding

Certainly helping with the backlog though as 10 games completed so far, some were started last year

Blimey, how much time do you get to play? I'm still working on my first.

23 minutes ago, Orcitect said:

I was feeling pretty good about myself until I noticed KOF 2002 UM had been updated with more bells and whistles on steam.

I'm going to fail miserably, aren't I? (Two out of 12 down)

I dunno, I think it’s kind of fine if it’s a game you already own or have played or whatever. I’ve played through SOTN dozens of times by now, so if it got a re-release on Switch I’d buy it and wouldn’t count it in this list.

The main issue is games that you’ll probably never get round to, or games you’re buying because they’re on sale that you’ll also never get round to.

14 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I dunno, I think it’s kind of fine if it’s a game you already own or have played or whatever. I’ve played through SOTN dozens of times by now, so if it got a re-release on Switch I’d buy it and wouldn’t count it in this list.

It depends what you're doing this for, I guess. Personally, I'm trying to reduce the number of unplayed games I currently own, or have access to, and get my pile of shame down to fewer than 20 games by the end of the year (a tall order, given the number of games I want to play that are being added to Game Pass every week). Adding to that list in any way, even with games I already own on a different system, runs counter to this.

I guess if you were buying games without intending to play them then you wouldn't be adding to your pile, like if you were trying to create a collection. Otherwise, though, a purchase is a purchase!

7 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

It depends what you're doing this for, I guess. Personally, I'm trying to reduce the number of unplayed games I currently own, or have access to, and get my pile of shame down to fewer than 20 games by the end of the year (a tall order, given the number of games I want to play that are being added to Game Pass every week). Adding to that list in any way, even with games I already own on a different system, runs counter to this.

I guess if you were buying games without intending to play them then you wouldn't be adding to your pile, like if you were trying to create a collection. Otherwise, though, a purchase is a purchase!

Hang on, gamepass is a perpetual backlog machine so you’re pretty fucked if you include that surely?

31 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Hang on, gamepass is a perpetual backlog machine so you’re pretty fucked if you include that surely?

That's true, but I only add games I definitely want to play. There are still a lot them, though!

Essentially, I want to get to the point where I'm buying a game and then immediately playing it without worrying about all of the other games I've bought that I haven't yet played. I then want to be able to use my Game Pass backlog to keep me ticking over between releases that I actually pay for. Given my current 'Games I've paid for' backlog, I don't think I'll manage to clear all of those games this year, but I'm only going to buy 12 games in that time so I don't add to it too much, and I'm currently clearing my backlog a lot more quickly than I'm adding to it.

It all makes sense in my head, honest! :unsure:

In other news, I decided to cancel my Horizon: Forbidden West pre-order. It's £50-odd and just too close to Elden Ring. I still want to play it at some point, if only to blow the dust off the PS5, but I'm happy to wait until later in the year.

Circuit Superstars is out next week for the PS4, that may be my first purchase.  Too many games out in the next few weeks that I want

Jan 27 Circuit Superstars

Jan 28 Uncharted Thieves

Feb 4 Dying Light 2

Feb 8 Sifu

Feb 18 Horizon

Feb 25 Elden Ring

March 4 GT7

Something has to give, decisions to make

On 31/12/2021 at 22:20, DarkCrisis said:

Jan - Last of Us PS4 Part 2 £22.50

Feb - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection PS5 Upgrade £10

March - ??

April - LEGO Star Wars: The Sky Walker Saga PS5 £49.99

May - ??

June - ??

July - ??

August - ??

September - ??

October - ??

November - ??

December - ??

Updated with some new games added.

This is what mine currently looks like

Jan - Circuit Superstars, Uncharted ??

Feb - Dying Light 2 ?? , Horizon, Elden Ring

March - GT7

Sifu has been benched, waiting on Dying Light 2 and Uncharted reviews before making a final decision on those, but more than likely they will be bought

So thats 6 games before the end of the first week in March

Been playing Skyward Sword HD solidly in Jan, so other than triple-dipping on Burnout Paradise for a few quid so I could play online with a mate, I’ve bought nothing as of yet.

When I’m fully invested in a game (All Zelda and Mario games do this, and a handful of others), I find it very easy to ignore everything else out there. But when I finish them I’m desperate to fill the void, which is when lots of silly purchases happen!

4 hours ago, MikeF said:

So thats 6 games before the end of the first week in March

Are you actually going to play those games as soon as you buy them, though? Horizon and Elden Ring, for example - are you going to play both of those massive open world games simultaneously? Why not get one, play it, then get the other one? By that time the hype will have died down and you might feel less inclined to make the impulse purchase.

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Are you actually going to play those games as soon as you buy them, though? Horizon and Elden Ring, for example - are you going to play both of those massive open world games simultaneously? Why not get one, play it, then get the other one? By that time the hope will have died down and you might feel less inclined to make the impulse purchase.

Yep, will be playing them as soon as they are out.  Helps at the moment that I quit my job in December so have some free time whilst I look for a new job (taking my time)

46 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Are you actually going to play those games as soon as you buy them, though?

I'm juggling Destiny 2's next DLC and Elden Ring in late February (and beyond) - since I won't always be in the mood for a massive loot grind or a nails-hard RPG, I can jump from one to the other depending on what I feel like. :D 

Looks like I may make it through Jan with no purchases! Decided I will get Elden Ring in Feb though, and Sifu I’ll wait for a sale I think. 

Nearly finished Vampyr now so that’ll be four games done in Jan too!

Purchased

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (January)

Wishlist (Pending Reviews)

Dying Light 2

God of War Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West

Lego Skywalker Saga

Saints Row

Sniper Elite V (Gamepass)

Stray

Currently Playing

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla

Lonely Mountains: Downhill (GP)

Madden ‘21 (GP)

Backlog

Bound

Concrete Genie (PS+)

Dead Space (GP replay)

FIFA ‘22

Lego DC Super-Villains (PS+)

Mortal Kombat 11

MS Flight Simulator (GP)

PGA Tour 2K21 (PS+)

Resident Evil 7

Soma

Completed 2022

Black Ops: Cold War

Doom Eternal

Deathloop

(updated 12/2)

On 31/12/2021 at 20:46, Qazimod said:

Notables:

February: Elden Ring

February: Destiny 2: The Witch Queen (DLC)

February (fucking hell): maybe FFVI Pixel Remaster, but I might be able to put this off.

March: maybe Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, but I'm not desperate for this.

March: maybe Tunic, but I'm not desperate for this.

TBC: maybe Replaced but I don't know a lot about it.

February: Sol Cresta 🤔 I think I can put that off though.

No purchases this year so far 🥳. This challenge has certainly made me think twice on a couple of occasions so it's doing its job.

February and March are total killers though, so it'll be interesting to see how I fare once they roll around. Despite not really digging the new art style, I absolutely adored the original OlliOlli games so the lure of OlliOlli World is strong (as well as Elden Ring, Triangle Strategy, Sol Cresta etc etc).

On 19/01/2022 at 20:31, Jamie John said:

In other news, I decided to cancel my Horizon: Forbidden West pre-order. It's £50-odd and just too close to Elden Ring. I still want to play it at some point, if only to blow the dust off the PS5, but I'm happy to wait until later in the year.

I'm trying to decide how to choose between Dying Light 2, Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring. It would be easy if they were all coming out at the same time - I'd go for ER, but it's coming out nearly 3 weeks after DL2!

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm trying to decide how to choose between Dying Light 2, Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring. It would be easy if they were all coming out at the same time - I'd go for ER, but it's coming out nearly 3 weeks after DL2!

Well Elden Ring is new From Soft, so that immediately makes it more desirable than anything bar BotW 2. If you reckon you can get DL2 done by the time ER comes out then go for both, but Horizon a week beforehand is just too close for me.

Vampyr down and picked two more off my backlog rather than tempting myself with something new… playing It Takes Two online with my son (and it’s brilliant) and spent the weekend happily smashing through the first nine chapters of A Plague Tale.

35 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Well Elden Ring is new From Soft, so that immediately makes it more desirable than anything bar BotW 2. If you reckon you can get DL2 done by the time ER comes out then go for both, but Horizon a week beforehand is just too close for me.

I doubt I could get DL2 done that quickly, to be honest. I’m a bit worried if I take a break from it for ER, I might not go back to it. 

But I don’t want to miss playing through ER at launch and joining in the discussion at that time, so that’s a dead cert. I’ve never played a From game at launch, before. 

Decided I'm going to try and get through 2022 without buying a single game.  I think it's doable - there's SO much on Game Pass I want to play, some VERY exciting releases (Starfield being the one I'm most excited for) and my pile of shame includes pretty huge games such as RDR2, Witcher 3 and AC Valhalla.

I really hope Guardians of the Galaxy comes onto Game Pass at some point in 2022 because that's the one game I REALLY want to buy!!

Added some of you on Backloggd btw.  Handy website.

On 31/12/2021 at 20:41, Jamie John said:

You can only buy 12 games in 2022 and you record the games you do buy in this thread.

• Game Pass/PS Plus/Switch Online, etc. games don't count as they're part of an ongoing subscription service you've probably already bought.
  • Gifted games don't count, unless they're gifts you buy for yourself <_<

Easy. Last year I only bought 7 games due to GamePass.