IGNORED

How easily can you name your top 5 games of all time?

Jamie John

Resident Evil 4

Devil May Cry 3

Halo: CE

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Super Mario World

Thats pretty much it, on the money…and in that order! 

I’ve finished each of them 10+ times, by far the most important games to me, and they all still totally hold up. 

Mine is a bit dull on account of the two Halo games but:

BOTW

Halo Reach

Halo ODST

Civilization 4

Joust

Runners up: LTTP, Super Metroid, FTL, Slay the Spire, Angband, Huntdown, Silicon Zeroes, FF Tactics, Fire Emblem (the first one that came out in the West), Halo CE, Robotron, Defender, EDF 2025 etc. Etc. 

Fucking easy:

Skyrim

Mass Effect 2

Destiny

Witcher 3

Nnnngggghhhh Portal 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Deus Ex, the other two Mass Effects, all the Metal Gear Solids except 4, Half Life Alyx, The Monkey Island games, The Last Ninja 2, Rainbow Islands, Creatures, Frontier: Elite 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros 3, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, F1 2011,  Bloodborne, Ridge Racer, Wipeout, The Arkham games, Halos 1 & 3 and Reach, Sensible World of Soccer ...

Alright I fucking can't, you fucking cunt! My list is too fucking long! :quote:

Definitely 1. Dishonored 2 as it’s my most played game ever, and I love everything about it. 2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is also one of my most played games, and is one of Nintendo’s most stunning games. 3. GTA IV I played and played the free mode and ranked racing, best online and GTA games ever IMHO. 4. Wave Race 64 another stunning game from Nintendo, and the best waves ever in a video game. 5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons perfect chill out game ever*.

Spoiler

*Once you have 20 million or more, and paid off all your payments to Tom Nook, finally finished the fossil, fish, gallery collections for the museum etc…, etc… ;)

Easy! In order here's my top 10!

Top 5:

Bloodborne

Donkey Kong Country 2

Mass Effect 2

Resident Evil 2

Super Mario Odyssey

The following 5:

Dragon Quest VIII

Alundra

Resident Evil 4

Street Fighter IV

Nier Automata

Edit: not so easy after all, got my brain moving things around ha!

Bloodborne

Breath Of The Wild

Dark Souls

Titanfall 2

Super Mario World

I have a very strong suspicion that SMW will/should lose its spot to Returnal but am allowing it to hang on for the sake of nostalgia and it still being the perfect platform game. 

World of Warcraft

Counter Strike

Final Fantasy 10

Persona 4 Golden

The Last of Us

I think 😁

Mass Effect and Dragon Age are up there but I couldn’t narrow those down to just one game, they feel too much like a series to me now. 

Honourable Mentions:

Warcraft 3

Left 4 Dead 2 (aided largely by the amazing mod scene)

Witcher 3

Dark Souls (the series)

Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale (again, hard to pick one specifically)

Final Fantasy 9

Dota 2 (which I loved for hundreds of hours but I know I’ll never touch it again, so it’s a weird one)

Just now, Jamie John said:

Those of you doing this easily are all liars. Unless you're calling me a cunt, like @Thor, then I don't believe you.

Haha it is something I discuss with people often so the top 5 are always in my mind.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Easy, because I maintain a Top N Games of All Time lost (currently at 196 entries). 

These are my top 5 (though 1&2 occasionally trade places):

Rez Infinite

Deus Ex

Halo

Day of the Tentacle

Rock Band 3

(I only allow myself one entry per series,* but that wouldn't affect the top 5 at all)

* except where games wildly diverge in genre/developer/aren't really a series — so Dunes 1 & 2 are both in the list

Highest of high fives (nah, fuck it, big tens!!) for having Rock Band 3 in your top five.

Absolutely stellar stuff!!

My only certainty is that Resident Evil 4 is the greatest game of all time. 

Halo CE or Halo 3 are in my top 5 but I can never decide which is superior.

Likewise, there’s a Metal Gear Solid there but it could be any one of 1, 3 and 5.

Mass Effect 2, yep.

And probably F-Zero X.

But Last of Us 2 is knocking very strongly at the door.

This is super hard, and I'm pretty sure it's seasonal - by which it matters about my frame of mind - not the latest hits.  The top five of all time becomes more than that, it stands as a unit, it must have breadth, so I can't put Dark Souls 1, 3, Bloodborne and Seikiro although that would probably be true. So based on that I would say - in reverse order, as lists are better that way.

5. Resident Evil 4 - A masterpiece, that reinvented games and cast a long shadow, whilst remaining perfect and playable. The VR port is another revolution in game design. 

4. Super Mario Odyssey - The GOAT of the GOAT of 3D platformers. Dense, staccato joy.

3. Outrun 2 - 5 minutes of perfection.

2. Rhythm Tengoku - The greatest menu in game of all time, pure joy throughout your soul. The first play of the first remix will always stick with me. Mind blowing.

1. Dark Souls - It's almost a cliche, but truly the GOAT of all GOATs. Consumed me on release, and 3 times since. What a game. 

1 to 3 are rock solid, 4 and 5 can easily change. On other days, Advance Wars, BoTW, Links Awakening, Wind Waker, NSMB (DS) Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wario Ware 1, Mario Galaxy, Obra Dinn  could sub in without regret.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Those of you doing this easily are all liars. Unless you're calling me a cunt, like @Thor, then I don't believe you.

You've asked me to name my top five games of all time. I think I gave you at least 75%, and the last one is as near as dammit. It's easy because there are games that are fucking special to me, and have been for a very long time. I mean Dwarf Fortres is in there despite being nigh on unplayable. It's still one of the best games ever.

Perhaps I just know my own mind when it comes to games? But maybe you're the problem if you can't name your top 5 easily? Do you have problems picking your top 5 films, or songs, or books? I'd have to give each a little thought to get it bang on, but I could get ballpark very quickly.

1 - Dungeon Master

2 - Celeste

3 - Diablo III

4 - Fez

5 - Phantasy Star Online

Dungeon Master is the only real lock-in. It's not going anywhere, and has been in that spot since I first played it in 1989. At this point I'm certain I'll never find anything that leaves such an impression on me, or proves itself every bit as playable, atmospheric, and brilliantly designed every time I revisit.

Diablo III and PSO are games that I spent so much time with, and had so much fun with, that inclusion is almost mandatory. D3 I can boot up at the drop of a hat and have a quick fun blast with. PSO is more a sentimental favourite. I have occasionally gone back to it, and the visuals and audio immediately hit me in The Feels, but maybe it's a tad clunky now.

Celeste is a very new entry but it's fair to say I'm rather obsessed with it. Took me a while to seriously apply myself, but once I did... hoo boy. Currently making my way through a seemingly and hopefully endless diet of community mods. There isn't a platformer to touch it, as far as I'm concerned.

Fez I just think is a legitimate work of brilliance. Aesthetically right up my street, absorbing and atmospheric, and a beautiful love letter to the unique experience of video games. I might never fully replay it but its impression on me is indelible.

Five is tough, as there are a couple of nip-at-the-heels games that could interchange with PSO. Ten is actually a whole lot easier because beyond that I could take or leave most stuff (or at least be happy to have had my time with them).

20 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Perhaps I just know my own mind when it comes to games? But maybe you're the problem if you can't name your top 5 easily? Do you have problems picking your top 5 films, or songs, or books? I'd have to give each a little thought to get it bang on, but I could get ballpark very quickly.

I can name my top three of each media with relative ease, but as soon as you go up to five it just seems to open up too many potentials, and that's where the uncertainty sets in.

I think it's interesting to see what constitutes a person's 'favourite' game, too, and how that's different from 'The 5 best games ever', or 'The 5 most important games ever', and even 'The 5 games that are most important to you'.

Zelda: Link to the Past

Dark Souls

Zelda: Majora's Mask

Super Mario Galaxy

Final Fantasy VI

Honourable mentions: Super Mario World, Yoshi's Story, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Final Fantasy Tactics, Persona 5

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

This is what I said in '17:

In hindsight, having RT and WWI in there seems a little greedy. And as good as 3rd Strike is, ArcSys has been producing some awesome fighters lately. It's tricky.

(Oh, and Bloodborne is number 6. It'll be interesting to see how Elden Ring compares...)

*twitch*

5. Ico

4. Rez

3. Tetris

2. Phantasy Star Online

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I didn’t think too hard on this when I put my top 5 into backloggd.

Breath of the Wild was first in. I’ve been playing it off and on since 2017, and now my kids play it too. I’m yet to ‘complete’ it, but it’s by far the best made and most engrossing offline game I’ve ever played. 

Phantasy Star Online was second as I’ve played it for nigh on twenty years and for probably the first ten of those; nothing else came close. It’s lost a tiny bit of its magic in more recent years, but its probably always going to be in my top 5 for the nostalgia factor and the sheer number of hours I sunk into over across various formats. I can’t imagine ever engaging with a game in the same manner again. 

Tetris at 3 because it’s just the perfect game. Newer versions have added features both good and bad, but for a simple marathon session the Gameboy version on original hardware is simple elegance.

The final two were less definitive.

Rez amazed me when it came out on Dreamcast and I’ve bought it and loved it every time it’s been rereleased since. I can’t see that opinion ever changing - it’s like a classic album that I will forever revisit. 

Ico was like nothing I’d played before when it came out on PS2. The atmosphere and sense of scale expressed through characters and the world was totally unique. I played it through several times and again when it was remastered on the PS3. But it’s been a while since I played it, so it could drop out of the top 5 next time.  

I can't make it less than 100, sorry. I'll pick the first five that enter my head:

Dark Souls

Breath of the Wild

Disco Elysium

Resident Evil 4

Tie Fighter

... Shadow of the Colossus

22 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I can name my top three of each media with relative ease, but as soon as you go up to five it just seems to open up too many potentials, and that's where the uncertainty sets in.

I think it's interesting to see what constitutes a person's 'favourite' game, too, and how that's different from 'The 5 best games ever', or 'The 5 most important games ever', and even 'The 5 games that are most important to you'.

"Current Favourite", "All-Time Favourite"  and "best" are three very different things. You only have to look at most opinion polls to see this writ large. Current favourite usually tops the polls. All-time favourite usually comes close. Best works it's way up over time. (See Rez here).

It's the ones I can keep coming back to and enjoying all over again:

Halo CE

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Dark Souls

Defender

Burnout Revenge

Defender needs a dedicated cab but I'm working on that. The other four, just pure gaming bliss and I've replayed them all since getting a Series X. All stand up perfectly.

MGSV nudged Resi 4 out of my top five so it's a bubbling under game now, along with Wipeout 2097, Manhunt, Borderlands 3 and AR mobile game Ingress.