IGNORED

How easily can you name your top 5 games of all time?

Jamie John

I always have Dark Souls, Mario 64, FFVII and Street Fighter 2 Turbo in mind. It's weird that I don't have more newer stuff though, maybe Breath of the Wild can make it a 5. It seems a shame that they're all such obvious choices, but it is what it is.

Not really sure but know that there some games that have had a lasting impact on me over my time playing

Salamander 

Elite

Shadow Of The Colossus

Half Life : Alyx

Zelda Ocarina of time

Lots of others. Space invaders and R-Type spring to mind and Super Mario 64, Tetris.

Every era or generation has some greats. From the 2D era of the 80s to the move to 3D in the 90s now into VR more recently.

Thought it was relatively easy until reading all the replies here and remembering lots of games. 

1. Breath of the Wild 

2. A Mario game (SMW, SM64 or Odyssey)

3. A Halo game (CE, 3, Reach or ODST) 

4. Mario Kart 64

5. Resident Evil 4 

Man, a top five is really difficult. But if I HAVE to... 

Rez Infinite 

Frequency 

Bloodborne

Rock Band 3 

Link to the Past 

...which means I have no Mario in there and that feels massively damaging to my personal brand.

If I wanted a more balanced five representative of my general taste, I'd probably take Rock Band 3 or Bloodborne out for Super Mario World (or even Resident Evil 4 or Metal Gear Solid 3 depending on which side of bed I got out of that day) but being proper true to myself those are my top five, no takesy-backsies. 

11 minutes ago, Benny said:

Maybe someone should do a top 100 Rllmuk games 2022 edition.

Can't help but think that in it's current state that the forum would somehow manage to get into a debate as what quantifies as '...of all time'. 

1. Fallout 3. I just absolutely lost myself in that world and was absorbed by it all. 

2. COD4. 31 days spent on the MP. Made it all the sadder that the remake was a let down. Made lots of friends on the online MP and don't think anything has come close in terms of social gaming. 

3. Championship Manager 97/98. Tom Youngs, Ibrahima Bakayoko, Erik Nevland, John Curtis and many more helped me win every award going. 

4. California Games. Spent many a 10p at the arcade playing this and it was a formative part of my childhood. 

5. Bioshock. Just loved everything about this. Andrew Ryan, Big Daddy's, Rapture, the Art Deco stylings, etc.

Bubbling under - TLOU, Peggle, Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart 64

Chaos: The Battle of Wizards

After Burner Climax

Demon’s Souls

Star Wars Squadrons

Final Fantasy XI

That’s what I came up with fairly quickly, and I’m fairly happy with it except it doesn’t reflect my love of Bemani games (how do you pick one in the case of GF/DM titles though?) and MGS3: Snake Eater ought to be in there, as should The Last Guardian.

I’m a bit iffy on the inclusion of the online multiplayer stuff, because the experience could be so variable, and also you can never go back - but when I think about the overall experience I had playing them there has been nothing to match it.

40+ years of gaming into 5 games is not easy!

5. Splat: This is where it all started for me. ZX Spectrum twitch gaming at it's finest. Still good to this day as well which you can't say for all Spectrum games.

4. Championship Manager 97/98: In terms of time spent playing this is the one. I started early (Champ Man '93 I think) but 97/98 was the one. In those halcyon days between university and responsibility came Champ Man. I lived, breathed and dreamed this game - to the point that I eventually went cold turkey on Football Manager and will never go back. I could spend 25 hours a day playing it and it wouldn't be enough. From time to time I still think about the good times - Ibrahima Bakayoko and Tom Youngs carrying us to trophy after trophy....

3. R-Type: I love shmups and this is the definitive one for me. There was an R-Type cab in the taxi office next to the train station that I got the train to and from school in. I played it day in day out for years (lunch money never better spent) and I know it inside and out, can 1cc it from cold. More than that though, it reminds me of the arcade experience and that feeling of being in the zone, even better if you have a crowd watching.

2. System Shock 2: Sometimes a game comes along that transcends the medium. How 'real' do you want your entertainment? A truly immersive experience, and something you couldn't get from any other medium.

1. Elite: Do I need to say anything more? For me, this is the gaming equivalent of 1984 - something that expands the mind and opens up the possibilities. The Blue Danube is inextricably embedded in my consiousness....

Honourable mentions to:

Fallout 2 (post-apocalyptic nirvana, when player choice was the watchword for RPGs)

Bloodborne (best of the Souls for me)

Deus Ex (ask me on a different day and I'd swap this for System Shock 2)

Civ (take your pick, my favourite is 6)

Zelda: A Link to the Past (for the rain at the start, if nothing else)

Planescape Torment (best story ever)

Slay the Spire (a challenger for the time sink crown)

Fire Emblem (again, take your pick, Binding Blade is my choice)

Super Mario World
Final Fight
Street Fighter 2
Wave Race 64

are my easy top 4 picks. No 5 doesn't immediately spring to mind. Probably either Castlevania SOTN or Rock Band 3, depending on playing alone or the enormously fun social event RB 3 used to be.

53 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Can't help but think that in it's current state that the forum would somehow manage to get into a debate as what quantifies as '...of all time'. 

In 2017 everyone just picked 20 of their favourites. Simpler, happier times.

Freestyle:

1. Dark Souls

2. Breath of the Wild

3. Wario Ware Inc

4. Super Mario World

5. Resident Evil 4

Thats what occurred. Top 3 are a lock. Any one of Mario Galaxy, Tetris Effect, Super Monkey Ball, Rez Infinite, Ico, Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Metroid Prime, Super Metroid, Mario Kart 8, Final Fantasy VI, Earthbound or REmake 1 could have appeared in the 4 and 5 slots on another day, depending on the weather.

Halo: Combat Evolved

Alien Isolation

Hollow Knight

Goldeneye

Zelda Breath of the Wild

Brutal cut, absolutely brutal. I won’t list honourable mentions, because that somewhat defeats the purpose. All I’ll say is that Halo is the only absolutely nailed on entry. 

I’ll change this as soon as I’ve posted, I’m sure. 

All my best games are Japanese af 🇯🇵 The only ones that aren’t are Metroid Prime, even though it’s kinda Japanese in terms of its roots and certain key individuals involved, and Tetris Effect, which is obviously originally Russian but then freaked by Rez Cunt and his mates, who are mostly all Japanese.

I’m looking at some folks’ lists, folk I previously respected, and I’m seeing a few games that don’t fall under the Japanese category, and I’m thinking they dun fucked up now.

EDIT: Oh shit I forgot about HK 🇦🇺 

Not easy at all!

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Streets of Rage 2

3. Sea of Thieves

4. Skyrim

5. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Honorable runners up: CoD 4: Modern Warfare, Halo CE, Mass Effect 2, GTA V, Hades, Goldeneye, Mario Galaxy, Spider-man, Uncharted 2

5 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

All my best games are Japanese af 🇯🇵 The only ones that aren’t are Metroid Prime, even though it’s kinda Japanese in terms of its roots and certain key individuals involved, and Tetris Effect, which is obviously originally Russian but then freaked by Rez Cunt and his mates, who are mostly all Japanese.

I’m looking at some folks’ lists, folk I previously respected, and I’m seeing a few games that don’t fall under the Japanese category, and I’m thinking they dun fucked up now.

EDIT: Oh shit I forgot about HK 🇦🇺 

You really need to have a wee word with yourself. Some of us never had the good fortune of growing up with Nintendo or Sega consoles and a selection of the classic games to experience because they were effectively way too expensive to even dream of getting to play. So we don't have this nostalgic view of all things Japanese based on childhood memories of our favourite games. That's my best explanation of why I've never been big on Japan. I suppose I dun fucked up by really only being a gamer once I could buy the shit myself and having missed those so important classic generations that mean I'm not allowed in the exclusively populated by fannies club that you deem so important.

:P