IGNORED

What's your single greatest gaming moment?

carlospie

53 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Gitaroo Man - Legendary theme 

That's a nice shout. (Oh man - I've not played Gitaroo Man for too long. Or Mad Maestro. Might have to fix that soon.)

I think VR has to be up there. Astrobot and Wipeout in VR are amazing. I got a go on an early Oculus that a friend at work had, and just wondering around a village looking at stuff was enough. There's still so much untapped potential there.

But I completed Spindizzy on the C64 back in the day, and that has to be it (as someone who has very few gaming achievements). It's a bit of a monster, but it's all about mastering the controls, which is one of my favourite things.

I quite enjoyed getting the PGR4 achievement for eight airborne vehicles with other forumites. :)  I'm sure a lot of the receipts are lost to time - my saved replay definitely is - but it was me, @layten, @boxoctosis, @BeeJay, @Dimahoo and some others (tbb?) I seem to remember most of us stressing over getting everything lined up and setting off at the same time when one dude literally jumped the gun and we all ended up panicking and chasing after him. :lol:  We did get it first time though.

39 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I quite enjoyed getting the PGR4 achievement for eight airborne vehicles with other forumites. :)  I'm sure a lot of the receipts are lost to time - my saved replay definitely is - but it was me, @layten, @boxoctosis, @BeeJay, @Dimahoo and some others (tbb?) I seem to remember most of us stressing over getting everything lined up and setting off at the same time when one dude literally jumped the gun and we all ended up panicking and chasing after him. :lol:  We did get it first time though.

OH yea, I remember that. We really need another PGR.

Finishing Gaiares on the Megadrive.

I absolutely loved this game and played it for months as a kid but in all that time the furthest I ever got was getting to stage 5 once. For some context my friend and I were convinced that game only had 4 levels as the JPN manual only showed pictures of stages 1-4. Imagine the shock (and horror) when after months of play we eventually beat the stage 4 boss only to get shown stage 5. It was my friends game and he traded it in soon after this revelation.

A couple of years back I put it on during retro hopping session and to my absolute surprise got to stage 5 on my first go! I was shocked at how much remembered and was pumped that my knowledge had remained intact to get me back to the same point.

Based on this I spent the next week practicing stages 5-8 (using flash saves) until I felt I knew enough to get through the game.

It took a number of attempts, it wasn’t pretty, and my heart was in my mouth by stage 8 but eventually I was able to finish a game that had held me prisoner for so many years.

There are so many, but if I had to pick just one, it would be in Dark Souls, when I finally nailed the pixel-perfect jump off the low wall at Firelink Shrine to grab the game-changing reward at the bottom of the well.

It wasn't a particularly difficult arcade machine, but I could finish 1942 on one credit.

As for epic moments, when I realised how to climb Avion, the 5th colossus in Shadow of the Colossus, on the PS2. I was like "surely not this way", then "OMFG, it worked!!!"

Some of those very long, stupidly immature evenings on the Sea of Thieves.  @mechamonkey will remember these - the disco ball capstan?  "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" etc

No voyages selected, no PVP, no challenges, just messing around being incredibly silly on an incredibly fun game in which you don't need to do anything in particular to enjoy it.

3 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Some of those very long, stupidly immature evenings on the Sea of Thieves.  @mechamonkey will remember these - the disco ball capstan?  "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" etc

No voyages selected, no PVP, no challenges, just messing around being incredibly silly on an incredibly fun game in which you don't need to do anything in particular to enjoy it.

Absolutely this, I don't know if any game can ever recapture that utter joyful immersion and many many nights of mucking about and making friends ❤️

WoW for me as well. I never even did much PvE stuff. I think obtaining the Season 3 shoulder armour was my proudest moment as it was such a spike. We then went on to 2250+ rating anyway, which was pretty astronomical considering our team comp (Destruction Warlock (me), Fire Mage, and Mutilation Rogue). The problem with such a radical composition like that is that it's a two-trick pony, so you can't really win against the same team more than a couple of times. Blizzard also banned the Engineering rocket boots from Arena around about that time, so we started losing way more than we were winning. The year later we went polar opposite and switched to Dest(W)/Frost(DK)/Holy(P) which was disgustingly overpowered. We nearly topped 2350+ but then I quit because girlfriend, and also God Mode became boring.

The Battlegrounds and Arena were amazing for an unfathomable amount of reasons, and aiming for Gladiator rank was genuinely challenging. It's too bad that flying mounts kind of killed world PvP once the expansions hit.

The community that WoW Classic had attracted were a bit too 'try-hard', but I still enjoyed my time on it. I should have maybe stuck with it.

it's still running down that hill with the explosions in Strider.

My greatest videogaming achievement wasn't even mine. I was working away in the office one friday night when a load of the call centre guys were having a Fight Night 3 tournament and getting hammered. My mate knew I'd played it a wee bit and came to ask for some advice so I drew how to do a big signature punch (basically you'd rotate the stick from 3 to 9 o'clock and then back to 3 again to throw a big haymaker) on a bit of paper. He went away and then about 10 minutes later there was a big commotion and cheering, he'd knocked another guy out with the first shot. I just sat back in my chair feeling like Mickey from Rocky.

Although beating the Orphan of Kos comes close. What a prick he is.

And Destroying The Ring on LOTR pinball.

and GGHT on Expert.

Going into our local CHIPS store before they opened on the way to work with my PS1 memory card and a Ridge Racer save, so I can clock a great reverse-track lap in the shops' PS1 game pod- the replay would run all day with my Devil Car burning round the track, the manager claimed it sold quite a few units on that alone.

And shooting myself in the face in Perfect Dark.

The first Fight Night genuinely rewarded pure boxing - building up points with clean punches and avoiding brawls. 

inhad it during uni and my mate used to go mad as I’d outbox him 9/10 times, culminating in him getting so annoyed after one game post-night out) that he slammed his fist against the desk and broke his hand. 

the series sadly moved away from that brilliant engine and more towards flashy punches and KOs.