IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

3 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Say it all the time; force them to bunch up and restart, with 10 laps to go, every race. 

You need at least one person to be massively out of position or with dead tyres even then. Look at the sprint races, most have just been dull apart from Brazil where Hamilton started from the back and played F1 21 on easy mode.

American racing does it all the time with indy car and nascar. Because they don't use track marshals like the rest of the world instead having safety crews turn up in pick up trucks. 

It's wall to wall yellow flags and wave rounds and closed pits. 

It's shit. 

Pray F1 never goes down that road. 

11 hours ago, merman said:

No it didn’t, it gave him third.

Relieved that Zhou was ok, but the safety car made it artificially exciting rather than a proper competitive race.

It was exciting all the way through I think. Max chasing down and forcing Sainz into a mistake to take the lead. Max’s mechanical issue then meant it was a Ferrari tactical clown show until the first pit stops with Hamilton closing them down. Ferrari finally swap the drivers after the pit stops and Hamilton with a tyre offset looks like closing at least Sainz down before the safety car bunches the pack up.

The SC saved Sainz’s race, he bottled it trying to keep Max behind him and then Leclerc was much faster with a damaged car when they both switched to the hard tyres.

After all that Leclerc only gained six points on Max which is why he isn’t going to win a WDC with Ferrari.

A couple of Twitter threads about roll hoops and how Zhous may have failed yesterday

I'm surprised that they're not a standardised design like the other safety features on the cars. Sounds like Alfa run a single column and it just couldn't withstand the forces it was put under yesterday 

IMG_20220704_074901.thumb.jpg.f62628a15789e2ea3f98864c9dbff072.jpg

What happened to the roll hoop? I'm shocked it just disappeared seemingly on first impact with the track.

Has there been a change in the way they're designed now due to the halo being able to do a similar job?

Edit: funny timing! I'll read above.

Edit edit: I wonder what state his helmet is in?

I think the hoop is design to deform in a controlled way on impact. To absorb as much of the energy as possible. When the car flipped it came down hard on the hoop which crumpled and stopped the car bouncing around. Then what was left held fast with the halo and stopped Zhous head being crushed. 

I'd say in a extreme situation the crash structure did its job remarkable well. 

There are always things to be learnt from these things and safety is always about doing things better. I don't think Alfa did anything wrong there. Everything did what it was designed to do. 

What a brilliant race that was.

Hopefully Ferrari and Merc can get closer to the Red Bull pace over the summer, otherwise it's going to be easy for Max. I think he would have got the win again today if he didn't have damage.

Ferrari need to get a strategy team together ASAP. They continue to embarrass themselves with idiotic calls. Leclerc missing a chance for fresh tyres and then trying to tell Sainz to back himself into the faster Hamilton and Perez, who would almost certainly catch Leclerc anyway. Wild calls to be making.

This must be Daniel's last season in F1. Just nowhere again with no excuse for it. I feel for him, but the results don't lie.

14 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I think the hoop is design to deform in a controlled way on impact. To absorb as much of the energy as possible. When the car flipped it came down hard on the hoop which crumpled and stopped the car bouncing around. Then what was left held fast with the halo and stopped Zhous head being crushed. 

I'd say in a extreme situation the crash structure did its job remarkable well. 

There are always things to be learnt from these things and safety is always about doing things better. I don't think Alfa did anything wrong there. Everything did what it was designed to do. 

Oh I don't think Alfa have done anything wrong, I'm just surprised something like the roll hoop isn't a standard design that all teams have to work around like the Halo is.

The fact that Zhou has very little in the way of injuries shows everything worked to protect him, so maybe it's just one of those things that looks worse than it was by design.

It's not outwith the bounds of possibility that Zhou's car could have leapt the catchment fence there so I imagine they'll be looking at that for the future. Another potential disaster was that, were it not for the crash/red flag, the whole grid would have been heading at full speed towards the protesters sat on the track. Thank goodness everything worked out in the end.

39 minutes ago, Blue said:

It's not outwith the bounds of possibility that Zhou's car could have leapt the catchment fence there so I imagine they'll be looking at that for the future. Another potential disaster was that, were it not for the crash/red flag, the whole grid would have been heading at full speed towards the protesters sat on the track. Thank goodness everything worked out in the end.

In related news, Gary Lineker is an idiot:

I was never much of a halo fan, but after the crashes yesterday, particularly the F2 one, they have done their job excellently. The F2 crash would have been lethal without it I'm sure

That Lineker tweet is really annoying. They weren't trying to delay a race, they were trying to stop one in progress. There's a very big difference. If they had gotten on to the track a few minutes earlier and managed to hold up the start of the race then it'd be annoying but I couldn't condemn their actions as the message they are pushing is correct. Staging their protest when they did and putting the lives of stewards and the drivers at risk makes them a bunch of arseholes. 

I think after calming down a bit today after yesterdays awesome race that actually the Mercs still aren't close enough still.  If Max didn't have that issue with the trick floor and Leclerc didn't have old tyres because Ferarri were getting double stacking nam flashbacks they'd probably have been 5th again.   I think once again they looked much better than they are due to the front runners mistakes.  Will be interesting if the new floor tests bring them close to RB and Ferarri.

1 minute ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Become the CEO of sky sports and take the weekends off

Plus that way you’d be taking money from Sky which could be a double-win. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Is there a way for me to legitimately watch all F1 races without giving Sky any money? 

1 hour ago, GwiDan said:

Move to another country. 

Semi-legitimately, you could use a VPN to subscribe to F1TV. The top tier, which is unavailable in the UK because of a veto by Sky, has every race live. 

We can only get a lower tier that includes live timing, behind-the-scenes stuff and delayed highlights from the current season, and an archive of full races and documentaries from prior seasons.  

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Hmmm, I wonder if my dad still has Sky... 

Do this. Its great. I think i've had sky go since Uni days (17 years ago!) 

You can put codes on 6 devices now.

My sister has Virgin Media with the Sky Sports add-on package. It seems to work slightly differently in that there aren't 'codes' as such. Still a six-device limit, but one would need to know the account holder's password and use it to log in on each device. So as well as her Virgin set-top-box (not one of the six), she can watch on her iPad, her phone, her laptop, her husband's phone, his tablet, and I certainly have no idea what the sixth device is.

On 03/07/2022 at 23:20, layten said:

You need at least one person to be massively out of position or with dead tyres even then. Look at the sprint races, most have just been dull apart from Brazil where Hamilton started from the back and played F1 21 on easy mode.

On 03/07/2022 at 23:23, Sidewaysbob said:

American racing does it all the time with indy car and nascar. Because they don't use track marshals like the rest of the world instead having safety crews turn up in pick up trucks. 

It's wall to wall yellow flags and wave rounds and closed pits. 

It's shit. 

Pray F1 never goes down that road. 

I wasn’t being serious lol.