IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

Aparantly the whole Williams team have been summoned to the announcement so you would think it's something big - sold to Andretti maybe?

Prob just be a sponsorship deal with unilever or something

Considering how little sponsorship they have the Piastri mess has worked out well for Williams and given this announcement more expose than it would normally get

Alpine are getting a bunch of shit for this but I can’t help but get the feeling that somewhere in there, Alex Palou, Colton Herta and Oscar Piastri are getting thrown promises that Zak Brown and McLaren can’t possibly hope to keep to all of them. Weird stuff.

I don't think there are any indy drivers that wouldn't sell their granny to have an F1 contract. Even with a mear sniff of a drive Palou is shitting all over his bridges as he sets fire to them.

F1 is the pinnacle, even to an indy 500 winner. 

It probably also helps that a decent F1 driver, and what driver doesn’t consider themselves decent, earns more in a year than the estimated 3-10 million USD it costs to run an Indycar team

Oddly, I've never considered money to be the motivation for racing drivers. In fact most elite sports people I've met are more interested in the winning and adulation then the cold hard cash. 

Sure they all have nice suits and flash watches. But it's just stuff, and stuff they've usually been given. 

They keep score with the points not the toys, mostly. 

26 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Oddly, I've never considered money to be the motivation for racing drivers. In fact most elite sports people I've met are more interested in the winning and adulation then the cold hard cash. 

Sure they all have nice suits and flash watches. But it's just stuff, and stuff they've usually been given. 

Ron Dennis told a story that Ayrton Senna was quite insistent when negotiation with McLaren that he be the best-paid driver in the sport. not really because he wanted the money, but because that was as much a measure of his worth as the points and championships. He was the best, so he should be paid the most.

6 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Alonslow says 'HI!'

He's certainly not after the money. slumming it in Indy and the WEC, going for the unofficial triple crown. That is pure ego. 

Saying that. Of course a lot of drivers do come form rich families, so the money isn't quite the same for them as it is for the like of us.  And then you have the likes of Lewis and Mansell who didn't have the money and had to rely on their talent, those are the ones that enjoy the trappings of success that was driven by a desire to prove their worth.

But most aren't in it to become rich (or richer) Stroll is out there week in week out trying to prove he a proper racing driver with mad skillz n shit.

35 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

He's certainly not after the money. slumming it in Indy and the WEC, going for the unofficial triple crown. That is pure ego. 

Saying that. Of course a lot of drivers do come form rich families, so the money isn't quite the same for them as it is for the like of us.  And then you have the likes of Lewis and Mansell who didn't have the money and had to rely on their talent, those are the ones that enjoy the trappings of success that was driven by a desire to prove their worth.

But most aren't in it to become rich (or richer) Stroll is out there week in week out trying to prove he a proper racing driver with mad skillz n shit.

So Alonso is going to Aston Martin not for the money? I mean as I pointed out on Monday in MNRC, if you said that Alonso was off to what is basically a Minardi for shitz n gigglez twelve months ago I think even he'd have told you to go fuck yourself.

Alonso is going to be paid a tonne of money and worshipped at AM as the number one driver. His return to F1 has basically been everyone telling him how great he is.

Alonson is going because he has been given a two year contract plus more depending on results. Something Alpine weren't prepared to do. Not for the money, for the prestige. So he can leave on his terms when he wants and not get fired. 

All the big seats are filling up. The top table is very full now and the chaps of the lower seats have a few young bloods nipping at their heals. 

Alpine rather rashly gave Ocon a three year deal that I suspect they now regret. Alonso has comprehensively beaten Ocon without really trying and so they need him to move on and let their boy look good. They were only going to give Alonso another year then fire him into a market with no other seats available. Well, maybe the mclaren seat if Ricky finally gets the message. But even then I think it's going to go to an America for the marketing. 

So Alonso was facing one more year then an uncertain future when his ego wasn't ready for it. 

This is just about Alonso and his ego, he genuinely thinks he can win another title, despite all the evidence 

1 minute ago, Sidewaysbob said:

This is just about Alonso and his ego, he genuinely thinks he can win another title, despite all the evidence 

He probably could, if he had a red bull seat.

And Max was abducted by Aliens.

Hey, Irvine nearly did it when Schumacher broke his legs. 

Now I come from NI so I was a fan of Irvine at the time - local boy done good etc - but I don't think anyone really thinks he was champion material. 

Irvine was the prototype leclerc. The plucky Irish chap would have won if ferrari hadn't gone all comedy clown pitstop crew in the second half of the season. 

I always liked Irvine, he was old school, no fucks given, kind of racer. 

He was almost certainly in it for the money too. 😁

Fun fact: Irvine was already a millionaire before he turned a wheel in Formula One. Bought a load of property with his winnings from the junior series, IIRC.

I forget who it was but a while ago on Beyond the Grid, they had someone who used to engineer for him. Said he was as naturally fast as anyone he had ever seen, but just had no interest in the boring stuff like developing the car. All he wanted to do was get in and drive the thing as fast as it would go.

The contrast with Schumacher is pretty obvious. 

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Alonson is going because he has been given a two year contract plus more depending on results. Something Alpine weren't prepared to do. Not for the money, for the prestige. So he can leave on his terms when he wants and not get fired. 

All the big seats are filling up. The top table is very full now and the chaps of the lower seats have a few young bloods nipping at their heals. 

Alpine rather rashly gave Ocon a three year deal that I suspect they now regret. Alonso has comprehensively beaten Ocon without really trying and so they need him to move on and let their boy look good. They were only going to give Alonso another year then fire him into a market with no other seats available. Well, maybe the mclaren seat if Ricky finally gets the message. But even then I think it's going to go to an America for the marketing. 

So Alonso was facing one more year then an uncertain future when his ego wasn't ready for it. 

Not with you on this, French driver in a French team and won a race - Alonso was there for development and in the hope he could unlock the potential Ocon clearly has - id say mission complete and they were never going to give Alonso a long term deal.

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Alonso has comprehensively beaten Ocon without really trying and so they need him to move on and let their boy look good.

I realise it doesn't tell the whole story but Ocon is currently 17 points ahead of Alonso. 

We'll have to agree to disagree, this is Alonso doing a Piquet when he fucked off to Lotus to take vast sums of money and do fuck all for two years bar maybe one weekend out of 32. There is no reason at all for him to remain in f1, aside from taking the Strolls money until it runs out.

I bet they made him an offer he couldn't refuse, which based on how shit the car has been, is massive. Never underestimate the power of greed.

1 hour ago, marsh said:

We'll have to agree to disagree, this is Alonso doing a Piquet when he fucked off to Lotus to take vast sums of money and do fuck all for two years bar maybe one weekend out of 32. There is no reason at all for him to remain in f1, aside from taking the Strolls money until it runs out.

I bet they made him an offer he couldn't refuse, which based on how shit the car has been, is massive. Never underestimate the power of greed.

Now now you know you’re not allowed to say Alonso and Piquet in the same sentence. 

6 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Evidence being the car… or him?

Obviously he isn’t going to win shit in the AM but if he was say… the Ferrari this year? I’d wager he’d be at worse where Lec is now. And at best probably a handful of points behind Max. 

Also, what’s wrong with hanging around because you just love racing? Bonus being someone paying you £20m to do it.  

34 minutes ago, mexos said:

Also, what’s wrong with hanging around because you just love racing? Bonus being someone paying you £20m to do it.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b3a92cba655c3ac1027b8e443b5faadf.png