Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

I’ll happily watch that Brawn series more than a few times :)

Still finding this reticence from F1 to consider the Andretti entry bizarre and really quite arrogant. We are in a situation right now where there weren’t enough seats to allow Piastri and Ilott a well-earned crack at the big time. The Andretti name carries huge weight, particularly in America which is a market Liberty are desperately pandering to at the moment (and with good reason, it’s huge).

Really confusing.

Porsche are partnering with Red Bull and Audi are taking over Sauber, they won’t be a new team like Andretti. I think the reason is money and they don’t want the current prize pot diluted by adding another team.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Am sure with F1’s popularity booming Liberty could tweak the numbers to satisfy the other teams? Or I would have thought so.

Audi will earn huge brownie points from me if they rename Sauber as Auto Union when they partner up with them. Nice simple silver paint scheme with red numbering.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Audi will earn huge brownie points from me if they rename Sauber as Auto Union when they partner up with them. Nice simple silver paint scheme with red numbering.

It'll be Audi Sport so they can use that sweet, sweet F1 marketing like Mercedes with AMG. 

I’m not crying that Andretti isn’t getting in. :coffee:

America will get bored soon and move on to something else. (🤞)

TBH it all feels a bit like the early 2000’s again. Big manufacturers sloshing money around. Everyone wants to be part of the party. Until they don’t. It’s like stock market cycles. F1 is going parabolic right now.

Stefano has hinted others want in. If any other team is going to be allowed in, it will only be a big manufacturer imo. Maybe they convince Hyundai to bring Kia in. Or Honda do the most Honda thing ever, and launch their own team again. (null)

Andretti just needs to wait till the current boom ends, recession digs in and a manufacturer like Alpine wants out.

Being brutal here for a second but where would an Andretti team end up competing on the grid? Would you expect them to be challenging McLaren and Alpine for points each week or would they be perennial wooden spoon contenders? I don't think another back of the pack team will help grow the sport so I can understand teams being reluctant to let in Andretti unless they are bringing a big partner to the table with them. 

I get the feeling Andretti know what they're doing, it's not some two cent operation out of a lockup in Stretham. When they get their slot it's going to be a mid table operation. Unlike Hass Andretti is committed to this. 

But they need to find €10 million for each team as a deal sweatener I believe. To cover the drop in earnings potential for each team. As far as I know its all about this money that's holding things up. Top teams want more because they are top teams.

F1 gonna F1

2 hours ago, bear said:

Being brutal here for a second but where would an Andretti team end up competing on the grid? Would you expect them to be challenging McLaren and Alpine for points each week or would they be perennial wooden spoon contenders? I don't think another back of the pack team will help grow the sport so I can understand teams being reluctant to let in Andretti unless they are bringing a big partner to the table with them. 

I don’t see any reason they couldn’t do what Haas did in their first season and nab regular points/float around the midfield. Andretti have a boatload of money and run teams in a bunch of different categories, so they’d staff up and get things in place to make a decent shake of it on my opinion.

Even if they were at the back they’d potentially give two young drivers a crack at F1 and allow them to develop. Alonso, Webber, Russell etc all spent a year in a pretty hopeless car at the start of their career, but it really helped them develop and the promise they showed made those seats worth having on the grid for me :)

I’m in the kitchen, making bacon sandwiches and the boy shouts

”Dad? Pat Symonds!”

I walk in the front room

”Yes?”

”as in crashgate pat symonds?”

I shrug and look at the telly. Was that a Toleman Feature on the F1 channel?

Barrier repairs going on apparently. Crash in Porsche Supercup race (which I’d have preferred to watch over di Resta going on and on for infinity). 

Rumours that Gasly might end up at Alpine. Not sure that’s something he’d like; he’s one of a bunch of drivers that doesn’t like Ocon very much!