Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

6 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Oh not at all, I love it. I’m a fan of both Mercedes drivers to be honest, but I completely love that level of quick and cold thinking. 

Looks like we might have Rosberg 2.0 on our hands.  No wonder Lewis didn’t want Bottas to leave. 

So why did they put him back out? There's no chance of points and you'd assume they'd try to spare the wear on the car so is there a bonus for completing a number of laps or what? 

Yeah it wasn’t the smartest move. No conspiracy, just a team having an extremely dumb moment. Red Bull are cantering to both titles in any case - there’s no need for them to risk getting boned by forcing AT to do stuff.

Looking at it, Merc were pretty much doomed to finishing where they did no matter what. If they were both on mediums, Max and Leclerc go by. If they stop them both, GR would have stacked and Leclerc would have been through anyway. There was nothing they could have done to win, it basically ended up being a case of one of them finishing second and the other fourth best case scenario.

Anyway, I look forward to the W13 continuing this momentum and both Lewis and George being knocked out in Q2 next weekend.

1 hour ago, bear said:

So why did they put him back out? There's no chance of points and you'd assume they'd try to spare the wear on the car so is there a bonus for completing a number of laps or what? 

Teams often run cars in positions like that because it provides valuable data. Or because anything could happen, like when Hamilton told the team to retire the car from 19th in Spain only to finish in the top 5.

If there really was a conspiracy why did AT bring Yuki into the pits from a 100% safety car position and send him back out to stop in a VSC position?

I often wonder if there is financial benefit (or penalty) for finishing a race, or 75% distance or something.

Certainly there is penalty for not fielding a car when you’re supposed to and from F1 perspective if they all retired cars at the back it’d be less of a spectacle. It’s in F1s interest that cars stay on the track.  I think they at the very least need a decent reason to retire, other than “our driver wasted time accidentally loosening his belts and took another set of tyres there’s no point continuing” probably to avoid a fine, and although we never hear about those fines happening, there has been a few occasions where for example Hamilton has been on the phone saying let’s save the car guys, and Merc have told him no

Though didn't Hill retire his Jordan at Silverstone because he couldn't be arsed any more? (Yes, I know that was 23 years ago thank you very much)

7 hours ago, ryodi said:

Hamilton was on mediums because Mercedes’ thought Russell behind could protect him. They then let Russell change his tyres which screwed Hamilton.

George’s job isn’t to be Lewis’ buffer, especially when they’re about equal in the standings.  He and his team should be allowed to run their own race. There’s no time to have a quick chat and make an agreement, and they shouldn’t have to. 

Feel like this is the first time to have these three young lads on the podium together?

31 minutes ago, minstrels said:

Teams often run cars in positions like that because it provides valuable data. Or because anything could happen, like when Hamilton told the team to retire the car from 19th in Spain only to finish in the top 5.

If there really was a conspiracy why did AT bring Yuki into the pits from a 100% safety car position and send him back out to stop in a VSC position?

I said quite clearly already that I've no interest in the conspiracy theory stuff.

I couldn't see the value in putting Tsunoda back out there when he'd lost so much time already that he was practically guaranteed to finish last if he got to the end and considering there had been no retirements up until that point the odds of securing an unlikely point through attrition were practically zero. 

Based on that it's felt entirely reasonable to ask about possible reasons why they'd try to put him back out there. Is there a financial incentive for Alpha Tauri to get him to the end of race? Like is their end of season prize money linked to completing a certain percentage of total laps, excluding retirements due to accidents? 

16 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

George’s job isn’t to be Lewis’ buffer, especially when they’re about equal in the standings.  He and his team should be allowed to run their own race. There’s no time to have a quick chat and make an agreement, and they shouldn’t have to. 

Feel like this is the first time to have these three young lads on the podium together?

I would argue It is his job, it’s a constructors sport not a drivers from the team point of view so the aim is the best for the team - he isn’t wrong to suggest it but the team should then have pitted both and ‘let them race’ or held station to protect the team result. 

On a separate note Hamilton had the engine in the wrong mode for the restart so was a sitting duck….

6 minutes ago, bear said:

I said quite clearly already that I've no interest in the conspiracy theory stuff.

I couldn't see the value in putting Tsunoda back out there when he'd lost so much time already that he was practically guaranteed to finish last if he got to the end and considering there had been no retirements up until that point the odds of securing an unlikely point through attrition were practically zero. 

Based on that it's felt entirely reasonable to ask about possible reasons why they'd try to put him back out there. Is there a financial incentive for Alpha Tauri to get him to the end of race? Like is their end of season prize money linked to completing a certain percentage of total laps, excluding retirements due to accidents? 

Sponsors camera time. 

Dunno, maybe me sitting up with my little one whilst he dozes means I am sleep-deprived and devoid of humour, but this caption from the official F1 pre-race show kinda feels like kicking someone when they’re already down 😕

BFF6549A-5E78-41A9-A29B-2C9A603FAA93.thumb.jpeg.3caeb9d12c655b512895cacf2c217ba2.jpeg

(This isn’t fake, incidentally - the caption genuinely read that).

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I would argue It is his job, it’s a constructors sport not a drivers from the team point of view so the aim is the best for the team - he isn’t wrong to suggest it but the team should then have pitted both and ‘let them race’ or held station to protect the team result. 

On a separate note Hamilton had the engine in the wrong mode for the restart so was a sitting duck….

I’ll add “to his own detriment”.

George would not have helped the team in the constructors standings by staying on old mediums. The idea that he could have held off Max so Lewis could win and him come second is laughable. There was no protecting that position with 10 laps to go. 

Both should have gone onto softs and then it might have been a 2, 3 for them. 

George was running his own race, yes it's a constructors championship but it's also a driver's one and your first opponent is also your team mate. Like @NexivRedsaid, it's not George's responsibility to make the call for Lewis' team, it's upto the team to look at the data and say "y'know what, maybe George has a point" and relay back to Hamilton that George has made his own call for what tyres he wants and does Hamilton want to do the same.

The Safety Car really spoiled an intriguing final stint of Max chasing down the 1-stop Mercs there. Lewis just can't catch a break this season.

The Sky commentary was the worst it's been all season, it feels like Croft has been caught up in the Netflix zealots with how desperate he was bemoaning Russell pitting for Soft tyres and letting Max into 2nd, and generally being on the verge of tears that Lewis wasn't getting that win afterall. I get it mate, we all want a decent race but at least be professional about it...

There was absolutely no chance of the Mercs staying ahead of Max on brand new soft tyres. In hindsight they should have brought Lewis in for Softs as well to guarantee a 2nd/3rd finish but I guess they simply couldn't bring themselves to give up track position.

I feel like Mercedes' last chance for a win this season is going to be Singapore in a couple of races time. There rest have long straights and/or bumps which won't help them at all. I wonder when the deadline on next year's design philosophy is?

Just watched it. Fucking hell.

Did Merc not learn anything from Abu Dhabi?

As is the way, when a driver/team is on fire they also seem to get the 'luck' and once again it came Max's way. Hey ho.

On 05/09/2022 at 11:28, GwiDan said:

Here's the article for anyone foiled by Motorsport's fullscreen blocker: 

Villeneuve to test Alpine F1 car at Monza after Italian GP

Jacques Villeneuve is to test last year’s Alpine A521 Formula 1 car at Monza on the Wednesday after the Italian Grand Prix.

Mon, 05 Sep 2022 08:14:57 +0000

It will be the first time that the 51-year-old has driven a near-contemporary F1 car since his last race with BMW Sauber at Hockenheim in 2006.

The chance came about through his relationship with broadcaster Canal+, and is part of a 25th anniversary celebration of his world championship title, achieved with a Renault-powered Williams in 1997. 

Villeneuve drove for the Enstone team in the last three races of the 2004 season alongside current Alpine driver Fernando Alonso, earning two 10th places and an 11th. He also worked with Alpine boss Otmar Szafnauer in their BAR Honda days. 

The A521 is the car raced by Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon last season and used this year for young driver development testing by Oscar Piastri and Jack Doohan. 

"It happened through the link with Canal+, French team and French TV, and I won 25 years ago with Renault," Villeneuve told Motorsport.com.

"So it's an outing because of that. But it's last year's car in Monza and you cannot detune them, so it will be proper laps.

"I did three races with Fernando, so I do have a past with that team, and [current sporting director] Alan Permane was my engineer.

"This is super, super exciting. It’s crazy. It'll be good to understand what these cars [are] as well. I tried the simulator. The modern cars are not impressive in the slow speed, but they're incredible in high speed. 

"I just have to make sure I have a good seat. It will be hell, because the G forces will be incredible. The good thing is at you have long straight line. So physically you can relax!" 

Villeneuve acknowledged that steering wheel controls are even more complicated now than when he last raced in F1 in 2006, but he’s not concerned. 

"Yeah, but everything becomes a habit. I've always been a gamer, not only on racing games, and once we get habits, you can do anything. 

"It's when it's not a habit that it becomes difficult, when you have to start looking at the steering wheel and think oh, what does that mean that you don't have the time. But when it becomes a habit, it's second nature, then it becomes easy." 

Villeneuve stressed that he’s still an active driver: "I've never stopped wanting to do this. So my goal lately has been to get to NASCAR. After doing Daytona this year that kind of put me in the mood of trying to get a season going. But right now I'm so busy with TV that it kind of blocks anything else." 

Canal+ commentator Julien Febreau, an experienced racer himself, will also get the opportunity to drive the A521 at Monza, while the team will also be running this year’s A522 for a filming day. 

Villeneuve and Febreau will warm up for their Monza runs by sampling a 2012 Lotus E20 "driving experience" car at Paul Ricard this week.