Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

Presumably, if someone like Brown is pushing for a reduction in Red Bulls spending cap for a future season then he believes it'll hurt them more in the short to medium term than something like a big fine which could grab more headlines and look harsher to the general public. 

“We did it and we’d do it again. Max is 2021 WDC and nothing will change that. Also fuck Toto”.

6.31 In order for the Cost Cap Administration to enter into an ABA, the relevant F1 Team must:
(a) acknowledge that it has breached these Financial Regulations;
(b) accept, observe and satisfy the sanction(s) and/or enhanced monitoring procedures levied;
(c) agree to bear the costs detailed in the ABA, as referred to in Article 6.29(d); and
(d) waive its right to challenge the ABA.

6.32 The Cost Cap Administration will publish a summary of the terms of the ABA, detailing the breach, any sanctions, and any enhanced monitoring procedures, omitting any Confidential Information.

It’ll be a fine would be my guess,

55 minutes ago, ryodi said:

“We did it and we’d do it again. Max is 2021 WDC and nothing will change that. Also fuck Toto”.

It’ll be a fine would be my guess,

"We were asked to stop Christian going on Sky Sports F1 but he refused so we'll take the harshest punishment possible"

Is definitely something we won't hear 

The FIA haven’t helped themselves. Before anything started they could have said, any overspend results in x point loss and x fine. Clear. People can weigh up if it’s worth it.

Now they’re offering RB a lesser punishment. God. 

47 minutes ago, Baring said:

The FIA haven’t helped themselves. Before anything started they could have said, any overspend results in x point loss and x fine. Clear. People can weigh up if it’s worth it.

The bottom line is that you can’t punish a monetary overspend on a budget cap with a fine - Redbull have spent hundreds of millions less this year than in the past, a fine is nothing to them so it has to be points / championship / race ban / cost cap reduction / wind tunnel time to have any meaningful impact.

But they won't change the result of the championship. So any penalty is ultimately worthless. As I say, this is just going to be hand waving away blatant cheating. 

AND redbull will be able to rephrase it as a "hard done by, pick on us why don't you!!!! " bollocks. 

I always had very little faith in the FIA, but this is a new low in my book. Its pathetic really. 

14 hours ago, Baring said:

The whole point of the rules being written the way they are is that they don't want teams to be able to do the maths about any potential punishment.

If we take this year's Mercedes as an example they've said that they identified the fundamental flaw with the car months ago but can't rectify it due to the cost cap. The last thing the FIA wants is for Mercedes to be able to sit down after the Azerbaijan GP (I believe that's the GP Mike Elliot mentioned in a recent podcast) and be in a position to calculate definitively what penalty they'd face for overspending. 

The FIA absolutely has to disqualify RBR from both WCCs. 2021 and 2022. Nothing else will send the necessary message.

The WDCs will stand whatever happens. You can’t really penalise Verstappen for the team’s shenanigans.

Obviously this isn’t what’s going to happen. Slap on the wrist and a trivial fine.

Just now, jonathanhoey said:

The FIA absolutely has to disqualify RBR from both WCCs. 2021 and 2022. Nothing else will send the necessary message.

The WDCs will stand whatever happens. You can’t really penalise Verstappen for the team’s shenanigans.

Obviously this isn’t what’s going to happen. Slap on the wrist and a trivial fine.

he is part of the team, and benefits. Of course you should.

1 minute ago, footle said:

he is part of the team, and benefits. Of course you should.

I don’t like him (neither his personality nor his driving style). He didn’t legitimately win in 2021 as we all know, and now in 2022 he’s dominated in a car that probably benefited enormously from the development headstart afforded by ignoring the budget cap. He’s driven it very quickly and mostly pretty clean (apart from that one time he was under genuine pressure, reverted to his basic ugly nature and nearly put MSC in the wall). Nonetheless I probably don’t think I can say he, individually, doesn’t deserve WDC ‘22. He wasn’t the one deciding to sign those illegal cheques. 

In any case I don’t think there’s any possibility of the WDCs being walked back. I *do* think the team can and should be DQed from both WCCs. But I don’t expect it’ll happen.

26 minutes ago, bear said:

Would throwing them out of the constructors championship bother them? 

Browns letter didn't suggest anything punishment along those lines and he'd know better than us what'd properly hurt a team. 

Constructors is far more important to the team and of course effects how much money they get - if they are thrown out of the 2021 then they have spent more than they were entitled to in 2022 (on top of doing that already) albeit presumably they would be owed some wind tunnel time….

They've also already had the benefits of their second place in 2021 through prize money and position in the pit lane. Disqualifying them from it now is pointless and I don't think the team cares about it anyway, it's all about Max and him being champion.