Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

Even with the passing of Dietrich Mateschitz you’d assume their funding is secure for the foreseeable future, where else can Red Bull get so much screen time during sporting events and unlike RB Leipzig and Salzburg most of the fans don’t hate them. 

6 hours ago, ryodi said:

Max is going to easily win the last two races of the season, the only interesting thing is how Sky and other broadcasters are going to approach it. Normally Sky would have an in depth interview with Max talking about the season, how he won the race and his first  championship in Abu Dhabi. But because everyone knows Hamilton was robbed and after his failed dive bomb on lap one he was nowhere until Masi intervened I’m expecting them to show barely anything of AD and concentrate on the rest of the season instead.

"So Max - how do you feel about your prospects of winning your first legitimate World Championship next year?"

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Even with the passing of Dietrich Mateschitz you’d assume their funding is secure for the foreseeable future, where else can Red Bull get so much screen time during sporting events and unlike RB Leipzig and Salzburg most of the fans don’t hate them. 

I saw something in the Vettel era which calculated the Red Bull brand effectively got about £40 worth of media exposure for every quid they spent on F1, so if you just think of the  team as an advertising campaign it delivers such a massive bang for the buck they’d never want to give it up.

I do have a certain sympathy for them. I don't think they deserved to loose it quite like that and Massa was very gracious in defeat. 

Sure the FIA had fucked around with things in their usual cack handed way snd the final race a bit of a contrivance. 

But Massa went out to win the race and Mclaren told Lewis to drive for 5th. I'll always support a team that tries to win with a gutsy drive. 

On 01/11/2022 at 22:55, MrPogo said:

if you just think of the  team as an advertising campaign

I think Red Bull itself is literally just a marketing company. IIRC they even outsource the production of their drinks.

33 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Zero excitement, even for a classic old-school circuit like Interlagos. We're all completely done with this season aren't we? :lol: 

Was thinking the same this morning, the season is too long for me now. 

At the start with all the close stuff its was good but now it's done and the races follow the same routine and gaps are big except the DRS train I'm bored.

If I've nothing to do I'll tune in otherwise I can take or eave it. 

The no talking to sky drama pish can all fuck off too now. Its nearly Christmas 🎄

Take a break 

I've followed this season more-or-less as closely as ever (almost every race live, only missed a few that clashed unavoidably with other things). But truthfully I haven't really cared about it this year. 

Trying to find a way to describe it that doesn't sound like sour grapes because 'my' team isn't winning any more and now it's the other guys winning who I don't like.

I do think it's deeper than that. Ever since Abu Dhabi '21 it just really is hard to take it objectively seriously as a legitimate sport.

(I mean I guess it's always been a bit broken, in different ways over time.) 

I hope the love will come back. When it's good it's still good - COTA this year for example. 

There’s nothing left to decide so like Abu Dhabi it’s a dead rubber. There’s also zero chance that Perez will pull a weekend out of the bag and beat Max on pace  in the same way there much maligned Bottas could do at least once a season. F1 is the only reason I subscribe to Now TV and I still enjoy the races but between AD 21 and Red Bull breaching the cost cap that season as well and getting a pitiful penalty for it along with Mercedes’ being off the pace so much Hamilton is going to end the season winless it just been a hard season to enjoy. Ferrari contriving go have the third fastest car by the end it hasn’t helped either. Max has been immense and dominated in a way Hamilton never has.

Theres also the fact that the Red Bull boycott of Sky is over and Sky even went crawling to Red Bull to apologise so I’m expecting a full weekend of Horner from the pit wall. 

11 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Theres also the fact that the Red Bull boycott of Sky is over and Sky even went crawling to Red Bull to apologise so I’m expecting a full weekend of Horner from the pit wall. 

Oh for fuck's sake. 

I genuinely believe that all media should have boycotted RBR entirely, out of professional/journalistic solidarity.

BBC, Autosport, AMuS, everyone* else... imagine if they'd all simply not pointed a camera or microphone at a Red Bull employee all weekend. How glorious would that have been?

*In this scenario, Channel 4 would have been the only holdout. As the official propaganda wing of Red Bull Racing, they wouldn't really have a say in the matter. 

1 hour ago, marsh said:

Is this still on??

I had seen some speculation a few days ago that it might be cancelled - something about roadblocks up and down the country, people protesting about the election results etc - but it seems to be going ahead as scheduled. 

44 minutes ago, wev said:

Are channel 4 still showing highlights next season? As much as I dislike DC, I can't be arsed paying Sky/NowTV for this any more

I presume it's C4, but even if it's not, I believe that fee-to-air F1 in the UK is written into the Sky exclusivity contract, so there *should* always be a FTA option available providing a network wants to pick it up (and I'm sure it's still profitable) 

3 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Trying to find a way to describe it that doesn't sound like sour grapes because 'my' team isn't winning any more and now it's the other guys winning who I don't like

It'll get easier, believe me, I'm a Ferrari fan ;)

I like to watch for the individual races as much as the championship, so I'm as invested in this season as I ever was (well, once the thin vale of Ferrari being fast was gone anyway)

3 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

I do think it's deeper than that. Ever since Abu Dhabi '21 it just really is hard to take it objectively seriously as a legitimate sport.

(I mean I guess it's always been a bit broken, in different ways over time.) 

I hope the love will come back. When it's good it's still good - COTA this year for example. 

I think it's just as broken as it's always been, whether it's Belestre, Berni, Crash gate, spygate, hidden traction control, burning oil, flexi wings, cost caps...

I guess the difference is that the AD fuck up coincidentally occurred on the last race of the season, with the championship on the line.  Had it been earlier in the year, I doubt we'd be talking about it now.

I've never really supported a team as such. I did go to Silverstone with some BAR hats as we got them for nothing as we got tickets via Shell and my brothers work (Honda dealer) I tend to like a driver and have to say I tend to prefer drivers who aren't overly aggressive and complete wankers on track. 

So I usually ended up liking someone other that Schumacher. 

@Corrangayou sold your soul when they couldn't lose didn't you.

I know some Rangers fans that done that in the 90s (can't jump a dyke now) and have felt it since. 

19 minutes ago, Corranga said:

I guess the difference is that the AD fuck up coincidentally occurred on the last race of the season, with the championship on the line.  Had it been earlier in the year, I doubt we'd be talking about it now.

Abu Dhabi was a culmination of a load of bad decisions from the stewards in the final races of the season. Hamilton didn’t get a reprimand that would have meant a grid drop for blocking Mazepin in Qatar. Max brake checking Hamilton was one of many examples of his aggressive driving at the same event and the most egregious of all  when ran Hamilton off the road in Brazil and wasn’t punished for it. I mean if Max had been on Hamilton’s tail for the entire race in AD it would have been easier to take but after his lap one dive bomb failed he was nowhere and ended up taking the least deserving race win since Mercedes pitted Hamilton from the lead in Monaco in 2015 gifting the win to Rosberg.

The only interesting thing I can see happening in Brazil if will Russell fight Hamilton harder than he did in Mexico. 

6 minutes ago, davadvice1 said:

@Corrangayou sold your soul when they couldn't lose didn't you.

Not at all, I've been a Ferrari guy since I knew what cars were.  The design, the passion, the history.  My bedroom walls were basically just Ferrari's and BTCC, I collected diecast Ferrari's, my dream is still to own one at some point etc.  Proper full on fan boy stuff.

My dad always watched F1 so even from a young age it was on in the background.

Ignoring my terrible memory, I was born in 82 and have vague recollections of Berger/Albareto, and definitely remember Mansell driving for Ferrari so we're looking at somewhere around 88-90 that I could say I became a fan, so it wasn't until 2000 that I saw a Ferrari drivers championship in my lifetime.  I still have my Mansell Ferrari t-shirt somewhere at my mums, it's pretty small!

6 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Zero excitement, even for a classic old-school circuit like Interlagos. We're all completely done with this season aren't we? :lol: 

Not me. There is much to play out yet. Alpine/McLaren, Checo/Charles, Ferrari/Merc, good tracks and hopefully good races. 

Chalk me up on the "I don't follow a team/driver" side of things, I like the spectacle and the technical stuff. Not favoured a driver since Alesi basically gave up, so about 1998? and by giving up I don't mean retired, he just wasn't the same after leaving Ferrari, was okay at Benneton but mostly eh after that.

But last season and all of the fall out and the atmosphere around the sport has just become incredibly exhausting and I don't think Sky's broadcasting style helps matters