Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

Watching Brazil now.

In the Australia race they mentioned that in 1996 Villeneuve was using a hand clutch whilst Hill had a foot clutch and that Villeneuve's starts were usually better but now hes using a foot clutch, was there any reason for the change?

45 minutes ago, wev said:

Watching Brazil now.

In the Australia race they mentioned that in 1996 Villeneuve was using a hand clutch whilst Hill had a foot clutch and that Villeneuve's starts were usually better but now hes using a foot clutch, was there any reason for the change?

just phasing out as the tech (introduced on the 1989 Ferrari T640?) got better, I guess?

Or the other way around? Maybe they wanted to see if there was life in the old dog yet?

1997 is such a great season :) - loads of different winners, close racing, surprise performances, heartache and a finale that’s passed into F1 folklore. 

Not sure about the foot clutch thing. I do know for a while in his F1 career JV has the left paddle on his wheel entirely for the clutch and used a weirdly set up ‘split’ paddle with his right to change up and down. Think that might have been in his BAR days though.

His race engineer Jock Clear was on Beyond The Grid a while back talking about his car setup. 

"Everything was quirky. [If] any other driver gets in his car, they're not going to be able to drive it. It had a stupidly short throttle pedal throw," Clear explained.

"Most drivers nowadays have about 50 millimetres to 70 millimetres of throttle travel.

"So that's at the ball of your foot, you're travelling 50 millimetres to 70 millimetres to have the modulation. The shortest I've known anybody else is about 45 [millimetres].

"Jacques had 22! Now 22 millimetres is nothing. But anything longer than that, he was like, 'No, this throttle pedal is far too long. I can't drive that!'

"Patrick [Head] would be like, 'What on earth is this idiot doing? Does he have any understanding about how a bloody racing car works?' But he wouldn't be told, [saying], 'I don't care what Patrick says'."

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

The company I'm at arranges a virtual Christmas do, with a guest speaker.  This year its Neal Martin, ex F1 strategist for McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari.  Any questions for him?

what’s the dumbest “yeah, that was a bad call” thing you’ve ever done?

The one that still keeps you up at nightz

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

The company I'm at arranges a virtual Christmas do, with a guest speaker.  This year its Neal Martin, ex F1 strategist for McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari.  Any questions for him?

How often did you deviate from what the data was telling was the optimal strategy? And what would be the trigger point to decide the data was no longer to be trusted ?

I'd ask: From the outside it appears that the current F1 strategy team are all on crack. Could you give any insight into why you think they are still employed and how the madness has been able to continue far beyond the point in which any other team might have just made a change by now.

Vasseur, I think everyone saw coming.

But Capito out is a suprise. I know Williams is a faded old dame these days, but they did alright when the chances presented themselves despite having the millstone of latifi round their necks. 

Maybe Capito wasn't quite political enough for the owners?