IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

I thought Schiff was great. She asked sensible questions, didn't gush, knew what she was talking about and gave every impression of someone who'd done this sort of thing before. 

I hope she does more races. 

Button will be off for the next few at least as he's just got married, so he's a busy boy right now. 

I loved the helmet cam stuff (more please), though was surprised they got JJ Abrams to direct it.

Seriously though, it shows you just how much visual glare and obstructions these drivers have to put up with. Such insane focus to not stack it into the first corner.

Mark Webber was saying all the glare wasn't nearly as bad as those cameras show, but I guess it's more that you learn not to notice it?

22 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Ah - has JP gone off to pastures new? Real shame as I very much enjoyed the dynamic between him and Jack Nicholls.

Yeah I'm pretty gutted about this frankly. Bird did ok and had some insight, but him and Nicholls don't have the same back and forth that Palmer and Nicholls had. I don't really warm to Sam Bird. Maybe it will come with time, but I don't think he has that same kind of natural presence and sense of humour that Palmer does. I think it's hurt the podcast more than the live commentary to be honest.

Thing I find with Sam Bird is that he. always? speaks like this? as if he? is explaining something? to a child?

To be fair to the guy, he does a lot of really good work with children's charities and spends most of his time speaking to foreign media whose English isn't necessarily great, so I can forgive him for it - I imagine most of the time he does find himself speaking like it.

51 minutes ago, mexos said:

He's still working for F1 right? :unsure:

I am awaiting his analysis video as we speak.

Yeah he’s just left the BBC race commentary job to do the race commentary on F1TV, which we can’t legally get in the UK.

I imagine he’ll still be doing the mid-week analysis videos for F1TV.

Given all the (apparent) mess at AM part of me wonders if Seb will actually end up driving for them at all this year. 

From AMuS:

"The car is - so we hear - a disaster. It does everything it shouldn't do. And on top of that, apparently the team owner (Lawrence Stroll; editor's note) is taking part in all of the meetings and voicing his opinion on how things should be run. If that's the case, then it's going to be very complicated indeed."

One of tv benefits of even more races is that it makes existing records easier to beat, if they do manage to get to 30 I expect Hamilton’s records will be quickly beaten.

The current number is too high, and that's just as a spectator, not even considering team staff, budgets, the environment. They ought to have a number of circuits that could be on the calendar but to keep things interesting they rotate what circuits are visited each year. Then also design the calendar around the most environmentally friendly method of visiting each location.

13 minutes ago, mexos said:

I continue to lose a little respect for Stefano. 

F1 is not NASCAR.

Due to the increase in popularity in the US and how that’s the only market outside of Gulf oil states that Liberty care about it’s going to end up that way eventually.

You would need x2 race teams and probably another set of trackside kit to compliment the stuff that goes by sea and the stuff that already goes by air. 

Nice sustainability story for F1. :slowclap:

5 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I think there's a risk here of doing so many that individual races don't feel like special events anymore and they all just merge into just another race weekend.

That’s and I think I’m already at the limit of how many Sundays a year the wife will put up with being essentially dedicated to me watching F1, due to it usually being in the middle of the day and ruling out doing much else before or after.

On 21/03/2022 at 15:13, mexos said:

I thought Naomi Schiff did ok when she was actually talking to drivers, TPs etc but when it was just her and Ted etc she struggled a bit. It much be pretty full on to slot into a team like that doing complex live broadcast on a complex sport when everyone else there has been doing it for years. I wonder if she's going to rotate in an out - like JB? I assume she's still doing a race series this year?

I don’t think she’s racing any more - Wikipedia doesn’t show anything after season 2 of W Series, in which she was a reserve driver and didn’t compete.

Seems to be working as a stunt driver on movies and TV now:

BEF87F7E-271A-4E89-BB84-D94FFBF53F47.thumb.png.8a3f4ad790a507db264fb2709ea67e67.png

So It looks like, despite having a safety car to help out, both the Redbulls ran out of fuel. Giving even more support to the team that Max couldn't have gone out and nailed the out lap, the petulant little shit.

Does this mean they brim the tank this weekend to make sure they have enough to finish the race with enough to give the FIA it's test litre. Or say fuck it and claim Ferrari have an illegal fuel tank and try to get them banned. 

How does an F1 team run out of fuel in both cars, and yet we don't have a ton of radio messages  "Max, we are fuel critical, please go to setting SLO-DWN" etc.

They have quite possibly the most advanced cars in the world, and yet, haven't mastered a fuel level sensor...

On 21/03/2022 at 20:29, wev said:

Mark Webber was saying all the glare wasn't nearly as bad as those cameras show, but I guess it's more that you learn not to notice it?

the camera is also not in quite the same position as the driver's eyeballs so reflections that hit the camera may well not be visible

On 21/03/2022 at 15:13, mexos said:

I thought Naomi Schiff did ok when she was actually talking to drivers, TPs etc but when it was just her and Ted etc she struggled a bit. It much be pretty full on to slot into a team like that doing complex live broadcast on a complex sport when everyone else there has been doing it for years. I wonder if she's going to rotate in an out - like JB? I assume she's still doing a race series this year?

I thought she was very good. Better than that tool Lazenby. The HDR coverage on Sky is super tasty, probably helped by the fact it was a night race.

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

How does an F1 team run out of fuel in both cars, and yet we don't have a ton of radio messages  "Max, we are fuel critical, please go to setting SLO-DWN" etc.

They have quite possibly the most advanced cars in the world, and yet, haven't mastered a fuel level sensor...

They had plenty of fuel but there was a fault with the fuel pump on both cars not supplying fuel at lower levels. 

2 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

So It looks like, despite having a safety car to help out, both the Redbulls ran out of fuel. Giving even more support to the team that Max couldn't have gone out and nailed the out lap, the petulant little shit.

The safety car didn't help RB, quite the opposite. Having pitted for a third time, they were banking on being able to catch Charles on new softs by the end of the race but the safety car allowed Leclerc a free pit stop and fresh tyres. Jolyon Palmer analysed the data, which showed that, without the safety car, Max would have caught Charles on the last lap (fuel pump problems notwithstanding) and also that he did potentially have the pace to perform the undercut but was lifting and coasting into corners as per the team's instructions. 

Question is whatever the reason really was, have RB got it sorted in the handful of days since the last race? Or do they need to run some sort of hacky solution for SA till they can get it properly rectified?

On 23/03/2022 at 10:40, rafaqat said:

I think there's a risk here of doing so many that individual races don't feel like special events anymore and they all just merge into just another race weekend.

This. Makes it even tougher for the smaller teams to compete, makes each race less special.