IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

Just heard Palmer say that in all of the Grands Prix at Melbourne since 1996, there has been one overtake for the lead. That can't be right, can it? 

(It was part of a discussion on the BBC podcast about the track changes and extra DRS zones for this weekend). 

7 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Hm, I can remember Villeneuve on Hill in 1996 and... er... 

I seem to remember one McLaren overtaking the other without any controversy in 1998. 

23 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Overtakes in the pits. Everyone's favourite. 

Very true, I had considered that but it's still a bit of a crazy stat, plus as @GwiDansays, the McLarens with their "whoever leads at the first corner" shenanigans 

5K EUR seems pretty insignificant, like the financial equivalent of a wrist slap.

It's easy to understand why they don't want unauthorised vehicles on the track, and why they don't want to encourage it.  

It's a shame they aren't so clear cut on... well all of the other rules that they choose to ignore throughout the season!

Seb is a class act as always :D

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Hm, I can remember Villeneuve on Hill in 1996 and... er... 

Vettel overtook Hamilton in 2017 when Mercedes got their maths wrong about the VSC.

That rear left on the Williams looked terrifying. Wheel tether worked, but the rim was almost broken in half and the tyre made a good bit for freedom.

What was Latiffi thinking, basically driving off track to let the Aston past then flooring it..

1 minute ago, Corranga said:

What was Latiffi thinking, basically driving off track to let the Aston past then flooring it..

Marc Priestley is doing the BBC commentary this weekend (because Jack Nicholls is away with Formula E) and in the moment, he called it as Stroll’s fault for turning in on Latifi.

One way or another it’s a horrendously costly mistake.

Wonder what the stewards will say. 

Herbert just also called it Stroll’s fault. I certainly see that Stroll moved over, for me the accident was caused by the unpredictable nature of Latifi, if he wasn’t going from 1 extreme of being basically off track to flooring it / full acceleration, then he wouldn’t have been there for Stroll to turn into. 

Same as road driving really, accidents are more likely when drivers do unpredictable stuff.

I wish commentators weren't so horny for rain. "It's good for the fans because it mixes up the field". OK and you know why? People crash when it rains.

It's like they've forgotten that the last time someone was killed in an F1 car, it was because he went off in the rain and hit a tractor recovering another car that had gone off in the rain. 

I just can't get on board with the logic of "I hope there are crashes because it's more exciting."